Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #16
Sablerose
Enthusiast
Sablerose began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 5G
Since I posted last, I've made up Style sheets for each type of paragraph, Title, default font with indent, etc. So I'll just use each style as needed.

And, yes, I'm only doing books for me, so I only have to make them look good for 1 e-reader, etc.

Thanks all, so much for your help. I think this topic can close now.
Sablerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sablerose View Post
Okay, I got the Epub Tools (specifically) working again, but didn't manage to repeat the errors I found. So, I guess chalk it up to operator-error?

However, I did manage to get a docx copy of the same book into Calibre, converted and tweaked, to load into Marvin on my iPod. So the Tools experiment failed, but the docx one succeeded.

And thanks for the add-in, Tox. Just didn't work for me. /shrug
I would like very much more detailed info (PM is more than fine) with the reasons why it didn't work. That might help me improve. I also thought that the installation was described in detail on both the website and in the manual.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I would like very much more detailed info (PM is more than fine) with the reasons why it didn't work. That might help me improve. I also thought that the installation was described in detail on both the website and in the manual.
Tox:

I sent you a note; on my install, the installer now seems to be utterly wonky. I tried two fresh installs/updates, (per our other discussion) and neither installed to the correct directory. For that matter, I'm not sure WHERE they went, as I was never given an option to set the install directory. Didn't go to the DL folder, or where I put the Zip...just disappeared. Now, I've used this program successfully before, but whatever you did recently has completely changed the install interface and both of the "installs" that I did today seem to have gone into the hinterlands of my computer.

I only mention this here because I ponder if it's affecting this other poster, somehow.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #19
Sablerose
Enthusiast
Sablerose began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 5G
Tools install

Tox,

A couple of reasons why I had trouble with the installation.

Like Hitch, I didn't get to choose where the item installed at. It just ~went somewhere.~

Second, the installation buttons were not in English. From other discussions, I'm assuming it was Dutch. I had to work from habit of installations to know where to click.

Last, as I told Hitch, I haven't delved too deeply into Word. So I had to figure out how to activate the Tools in Word Options.

Now, I'm not sure if I made a mistake using the Tools, but I did notice that after using the Tools, all the Italics and Bold were bracketed with tags, and the formatting was gone.

Very interesting, those tags were still there when I re-saved the docs file afterward, as a precaution before doing the next step.
Sablerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #20
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strange. The installer should ask whether to use Dutch or English. There is something wrong with the installer, especially since I changed literally nothing to it. I will check that out for sure.
You should not have to activate it. After installation it is just available...

There is an option to tag formatting and and the same option also allows to restore that formatting. For normal operation it is usually not needed, it was a request by an user. Of course these tags will remain if you save that version, since the tags are part of the text then.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #21
Toxaris
Wizard

The problem with the tags is identified and will be solved with the next version (currently in beta). As of that version each language will have its own installer.
Since there are many new things in the new version, I want to test drive it longer. So, I expect the new release to be delivered in two weeks. At the moment there are no outstanding issues.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #22
MyDK
MyDK began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sablerose View Post
Can anyone recommend a beginner book? I'm only looking for clues to questions.
Hi Sablerose
I enjoyed reading Pablos "Quick and dirty ePub tutorial":
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+ePub+tutorial

More info on HTML (I'm sure you already kwow):
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

And here on mobileread are some EPUB code snippets (HTML/CSS) you can copy/paste:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46448
MyDK is offline   Reply With Quote