Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
I'm using Readmill.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
49Kat
I'm just a bird, see?
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650 (1st reader); Kobo Vox (retired); iPad2;iPad Mini;iPhone5
The Kobo app has been misbehaving for me lately, and Overdrive (for my library books) hasn't quite managed the synchronization between devices as gracefully as it should. These days, if one of my Kobo books is acting up, I've been downloading it to Bluefire. I've also downloaded my last 2 library books to Bluefire. Like Overdrive, each device requires an individual download, but once that's done, it does sync my place to each device. Overdrive had been offering to go backwards, which is usually not desirable.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #18
Heitor
Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Retina iPad (3rd Gen), Nexus 7 (2013), Kobo Glo, iPod Touch (5th Gen)
I can't pick up just one: Marvin (the most powerful), Readmill (beautiful, simple and Android sync), Kindle (Amazon's bookstore, syncs with everything), iBooks (it works), Goodreader (for PDFs).
Heitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #19
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook Color, iPhone 5c, iPad Air, Kindle Paperwhite 2
My favorite's Marvin by far (the look is fantastic, great customization options, the default page colors don't make my eyes hurt, etc.), but I like the Kindle app as well.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #20
Barty
Wizard
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2, iPad 3
I still use Stanza, believe it or not, and Marvin with books that give stanza trouble.

Stanza 3.2 works fine on ios 7.0.4
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #21
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 16 ereaders + 1 tablet
I use several apps, because I haven't found one app that does all of what I like. I use the Kindle app, which I like because it downloads my books from the cloud, Nook I use because it lets you change the color of the background and letters, and TxtPub because it lets you upload your own font. I would like to try the Marvin app, but my iPad is a 1st Gen. and it won't let me download the new version.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #22
johnnyb
Addict
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone
Kindle naturally for all of my Kindle books and iBooks for the freebie ePubs because it works nicely with my Mac...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #23
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Regarding Marvin, what's the difference between the free and paid for versions ?

I notice in the Marvin FAQ's here that it says the iPad version is free, but it shows on iTunes store as 2 versions for iPad, one free and one paid for ?

Last edited by mXb; 01-21-2014 at 08:04 AM.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #24
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Regarding Marvin, what's the difference between the free and paid for versions ?

I notice in the Marvin FAQ's here that it says the iPad version is free, but it shows on iTunes store as 2 versions for iPad, one free and one paid for ?
The free version of Marvin will display only one book at a time in your library.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #25
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gerty and Marvin for iOS
@mXb - could you let me know the link to the FAQ page you followed where it said that Marvin is free? I must have missed updating it. As @griker mentions, the free version displays one book in your library. Otherwise, they're exactly the same.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #26
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
Kindle for iOs

I just gave up in converting ebooks , you guys know what I mean.

When I use Kindle for iOs I just download or open the book from the original source, which is Amazon and that's it.

Kindle for iOs is mature enough to provide good fonts and basic or simple features like black background and brightness control.

One key feature that I can't compromise is landscape mode on a single page form, not divided in two. This is horrible for technical books. I've found most reading apps out there, including iBooks, divide the screen in two when you're in landscape orientation; that's ok for most books but IT related books.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I just gave up in converting ebooks , you guys know what I mean.

When I use Kindle for iOs I just download or open the book from the original source, which is Amazon and that's it.

Kindle for iOs is mature enough to provide good fonts and basic or simple features like black background and brightness control.

One key feature that I can't compromise is landscape mode on a single page form, not divided in two. This is horrible for technical books. I've found most reading apps out there, including iBooks, divide the screen in two when you're in landscape orientation; that's ok for most books but IT related books.
Splitting the page into two in landscape is usually an option that can be turned off or set to appear only at certain zoom levels.

I would say that Kindle for iOS is so mature it is in the dark ages do to lack of reasonable formatting support. For iOS you need to use the previewer to convert to azk.
Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #28
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Splitting the page into two in landscape is usually an option that can be turned off or set to appear only at certain zoom levels.

I would say that Kindle for iOS is so mature it is in the dark ages do to lack of reasonable formatting support. For iOS you need to use the previewer to convert to azk.
Dale
hmm... I have not seen such option on a few reading apps I tried.

Also, what do you mean with lack of formatting support? Maybe it's because I mostly read IT related books but they usually display fine, especially on landscape mode.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
hmm... I have not seen such option on a few reading apps I tried.

Also, what do you mean with lack of formatting support? Maybe it's because I mostly read IT related books but they usually display fine, especially on landscape mode.
The Kindle app has that option. Click the Aa button. The Kindle app on iOS only support mobi7 which is the old mobipocket format based on HTML 3.2. It does not support KF8, which would support most ePub features. However it has a special azk format that is approximately the equivalent of KF8 except it is done with JSON instead of HTML.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #30
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The Kindle app has that option. Click the Aa button. The Kindle app on iOS only support mobi7 which is the old mobipocket format based on HTML 3.2. It does not support KF8, which would support most ePub features. However it has a special azk format that is approximately the equivalent of KF8 except it is done with JSON instead of HTML.

Dale
Ohh ... ok, I see your point.

But on my case, I bought from Amazon 99% of the time. It is very rare for me to find my books anywhere. Maybe O'Reilly? But those seem to work fine on my iPad. So the mobi7 format restriction is not really a problem, at least for me.