Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Cybook, Kindle or 505

Having difficulty deciding between the three.

Dictionary lookup is most important to me. Search function would be nice too.
I am not worried about formats supported. My ranking so far:

1. The Cybook seems to be the best option with the ability to use any mobipocket dictionary. Can someone who has a Cybook tell me how long it takes the reader to lookup a definition 5 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec? Is it usable with the navigation which is a complaint with the Cybook.

2. The Kindle has both dictionary and search but can someone confirm if you can actually change the default dictionary by loading a different mobipocket dictionary onto the Kindle. The design is horrible though and I am worried about accidentally hitting the next page button all the time. Although keyboard entry is such an advantage with future hacks I am sure.

3. The Sony prs-505 seems to be the best designed and would be my favorite if it had dictionary. I know the Dictiolauncher by autorun SD card hack is available but is it useable in real life. I read that it takes longer to find definitions at the end of the alphabet like words beginning with Z and having to push in and out the SD card each time seems impractical.

I would be grateful for any input. The Iliad is out because it is too big, slow, and expensive.

Thanks,

Lo
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the iLiad is out, why did you list the iLiad as your device?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
l1n1234
Enthusiast

Sorry new to forum, I didn't even know I had checked Iliad as my device. How do I change that?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1n1234 View Post
Sorry new to forum, I didn't even know I had checked Iliad as my device. How do I change that?
Based on your device, I was going to recommend the Gen3. Now I can recommend the 505. I know it has no dictionary. But I rather like it.

To change your device, click User CP and then Edit Your Details on the left. It's near the bottom.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
1. The Cybook seems to be the best option with the ability to use any mobipocket dictionary. Can someone who has a Cybook tell me how long it takes the reader to lookup a definition 5 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec? Is it usable with the navigation which is a complaint with the Cybook.
I just tested a word in the middle of the page and it took around 20 seconds to look it up. Then a couple of seconds to get back to the book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Kindle took 15 seconds from selecting the line to displaying the definitions.

Edit to add:

Oh and i don't have problems with accidentally changing pages while reading. Sometimes it happens if I'm handing it to someone but with just regular usage I find it quite ergonomic.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Kindle took 15 seconds from selecting the line to displaying the definitions.
Most of the time for the Cybook is for selecting the word.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
l1n1234
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like the dictionary lookup on both Kindle and cybook Gen3 are pretty fast. I just wish the Kindle would allow you to load a different dictionary. I guess the Kindle in actual use is more ergonomic than it looks in pictures and on Youtube.

Lo
Old 04-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like the dictionary lookup on both Kindle and cybook Gen3 are pretty fast. I just wish the Kindle would allow you to load a different dictionary. I guess the Kindle in actual use is more ergonomic than it looks in pictures and on Youtube.

Lo
I believe the Kindle will handle more dictionaries, although no DRM protected MobiPocket ones. YOu should email Amazon support and ask the question about dictionary support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've had a 505 for about 3 months and just got a Kindle yesterday. I like the Kindle much more so far. It's much nicer in person than it looks in pictures. I think the accidental paging people often complain about is not really an issue once you realize where the page buttons are located. You get used to them pretty quickly and the device, I find, is much easier to use than my Sony 505. The dictionary is quick and easy to use. The wireless access to the Amazon store is great and being able to download free samples of content is a nice feature.

After spending a night reading and using my Kindle, I picked up my 505 this morning and it felt archaic compared to the Kindle. Also, things seem to load faster on the Kindle than they do on the 505. The interface is just snappier.

I really recommend you consider the Kindle, I'm very impressed with it so far.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I guess the Kindle in actual use is more ergonomic than it looks in pictures and on Youtube.
In the demo videos people are usually trying to hold it up for the camera and point stuff out. They're usually not holding it like they would be if they were reading.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
l1n1234
Enthusiast

Your comments have been helpful Alisa. Leaning towards Kindle now that I have feedback that it works well in actual usage. I have also emailed Amazon support to see if it is possible to load different dictionaries on to the Kindle. I will let everyone know.

Lo
Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #13
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
At least for the Cybook, the dictionary look-up time appears to depend on the size of the dictionary.

When I used the demo version of the Chambers dictionary (limited to words beginning with 'L'?), the lookup was on the order of a few seconds. With the full dictionary, a lookup is taking something like 5-10 seconds. (guesstimate)

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
kindle: search dictionary, wikipedia and google

Hi,

We have both the Sony Reader (1st gen prs500) and Kindle.
If dictionary lookups are most important, Kindle wins.
You can lookup in context to what you are reading and also Wikipedia and googl e it with the wireless.
The non-wireless readers are limited by the dictionary corpus.

I love the fact that the search function works across all indexed books and documents. Unfortunately, Kindle doesn't have landscape nor zoom like the Sony. I can make out my pdfs better with the Sony than with Kindle or MobiPocket Creator conversions.
That said, however,

I love my Kindle
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Having difficulty deciding between the three.

5 seconds max. Very often virtually instant. It works extremely well. Absolutely nothing wrong with the navigation interface - it works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote