Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
mr.giroro
mr.giroro began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Sandisk Extreme III 12GB Issue -- Anyone Experienced This?

I bought a Sandisk Extreme III 12GB CF to use with Iliad. I searched the net, and other users have reported that Sandisk Extreme III 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB all work with Iliad. So I figured 12GB would work as well. I received the card a couple of days ago, and installed it. At the first glance, it appears that it works well. However, I noticed two abnormal problems.

(1) At the main screen, Iliad reports only 3.6GB (rather than 12GB). Is this a normal behavior? I know Iliad "officially" supports CF up to 4GB. So, does it still report only 4GB even when a larger CF card is used? Can I still access the whole capacity even if Iliad reports only 4GB? Other users reported 8GB and 16GB works with Iliad, and I am wondering if Iliad reports only 4GB for those cards as well.

(2) I also realized another weird behavior. When I connected the CF to Iliad using the USB sync cable, a pop-up message appeared saying "The internal memory has been formatted. Do you want to restore backup?" I assume Iliad sees the CF as an internal memory because I directed the "doc" button to "CF." After I did this, Iliad sees 0 byte on the CF, and didn't create "manifest.xml" or "scribble.irx" files any longer (meaning that the viewing preferences are not retained). I had to reformat and reinstall to fix this. Did anyone experience this? Why does this happen?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Last edited by mr.giroro; 01-03-2008 at 08:24 PM.
mr.giroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

Just a shot in the dark, but did you buy your CF card from a legit supplier? Or from a street dealer in Shanghai? Apparently fake flash memory is endemic in east Asia. Either way, I'd suggest sticking it in a flash reader in your computer, and testing the memory.
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #3
mr.giroro

jackbrown,

I did get the card from a "legit" dealer. If I bought a knock-off, it wouldn't be Sandisk and I wouldn't have posted this question. And, of course, I tested the card with my PC. I know better than asking questions without doing the basic tests.

Anyway, I learned that Iliad has a limitation. Even if the whole CF can be used, the contentLister will display only 4GB. I hope they fix this annoying bug soon.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
I'm sure jackbrown meant no offense, mr.giroro, the sense I get from his post is that he was just checking the basics. Since you are the sort to run such basic checks, I bet you'd be shocked at how many don't.

I've worked help-desk phones some, and it never ceases to amaze me the sorts of things that folks will do without thinking them through. Forget that old saw about the "any" key -- I've had folks call about problems with a Lotus Notes application, and only after talking to them for 20 minutes do I finally puzzle out that they're not actually in Lotus Notes -- once I got them out of Acrobat or IE or whatever it was and into Notes, their problem miraculously disappeared. Of course, I had to have about 45 minutes of de-tox before I could talk to anyone coherently after that one.

Anyway, that sort of experience tends to teach a body to not take anything for granted, especially the basics.

As for the card being SanDisk, on the Streets of China's cities, you can probably buy products branded SanDisk that SanDisk has never even considered making. Some of those sellers really are that sneaky and unscrupulous. Unless you specify where you got the card, we wouldn't have any way of knowing without asking.

Anyway, I'm glad that you've got the answer to your question. And you can at least be glad that you have an iLiad's 4GB limitation -- the Sony Readers are limited to 2GB on SD cards.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Anyway, I'm glad that you've got the answer to your question. And you can at least be glad that you have an iLiad's 4GB limitation -- the Sony Readers are limited to 2GB on SD cards.
Actually, the iLiad works with many cards bigger than 4GB. And you can use the whole 12 or 16GB, but the contentlister only shows a free capacity of 4GB. Thats what makes it so confusing.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh, then it's even more of an improvement over the Sony's performance in that regard than I thought.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
mr.giroro

NatCh,

I wasn't really offended by jackbrown's comment. I knew he was just checking the basics. I was just replying to his inquiry, and wanted to make sure to let him/her (and other community members) know that I did pay my dues before I posted this question. After all, he was trying to help me, and I should be thankful rather than being offended. I would like to use this opportunity to tell jackbrown that I didn't mean any disrespect to his/her suggestion.

However, it is also true that jackbrown's comment could be construed as being offensive because he/she questioned if I intentionally bought a "fake" product. Buying a fake product knowingly is a serious crime. Thus, questioning someone for buying a "fake" product is sort of accusing him/her of committing a crime (or at least, an unethical behavior). For example, I will be deeply offended if someone says "you have XXX problem because you probably used a fake copy of Microsoft Windows." Of course, I know jackdown did not mean this, and I appreciate his willingness to help. Nonetheless, I think one should be careful about the implication of one's comment.

Thank you for your comment.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm glad you're not one of those folks who just gets offended at the drop of a hat, mr.giroro! Those folks can be tough to deal with.

You make a good point about being careful how we ask things, so as not to unintentionally offend others. It's one we all can benefit from being reminded of periodically.

I know that knock-offs are illegal in most places, but I didn't think they were everywhere. For example, I've never heard of any intellectual property ... call it "infringement" that was illegal in China. (I could easily be wrong on that, but they certainly seem to have no governmental ... concerns on that score )

There's also the possibility that someone could buy such a thing without knowing it was a knock off, or without knowing such knock-offs were illegal. Okay, that's a very slim chance.

Then there are those who know full well it's illegal and just don't care. It's clear now that you're not one of those, but that's not something one can just 'tell' about a person.

And while I agree, not buying illegal knock-offs is an important ethical principle, and point of honor ("... those who are faithful in small things ...." and that ), but it's not on the same scale as say, axe-murdering, so most folks, sadly, don't see it as all that big a deal.

I may not have knowingly bought knock-off merchandise, but I'm quite well aware that I've done much worse things in my lifetime (no, not axe-murdering, but speeding qualifies, to my mind, and that's not my worst either!), so that tends to make me less harsh on the matter.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're not upset, because we try pretty hard to keep MobileRead a community that is open and sharing and respectful, and so we care when folks get upset, and want to try to help.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Stupid question. Can a CF card be partitionned?

Did you try to load the card up with a lot of files (more than 4gigs) with your computer to see if everything you put in the card shows up?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

I don't know about the partition thing (so I guess that's another question of yours I won't answer ), but he did mention that he'd tested the card on his PC.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Not quite what I meant, sorry I didn't express myself adequately.

In his first point mr.giroro says that his iLiad figures the inserted card to having a capacity of 3.6GB. My questions are this: was there data on the card or was it an estimate of possible space? And second have you tried a card filled with more than 4GB of data? What will the iLiad say then?

And to the second point would it have to do with fat32 formating or something else to do with the format the iLiad favors ? I remember my Sony being particular about that.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #12
mr.giroro

yvanleterrible,

These are good questions.

Quote:
In his first point mr.giroro says that his iLiad figures the inserted card to having a capacity of 3.6GB. My questions are this: was there data on the card or was it an estimate of possible space?
There were some data on the card. I believe 3.6GB was an estimate of FREE space on the card.

Quote:
And second have you tried a card filled with more than 4GB of data? What will the iLiad say then?
I did. I copied a large video files onto the card (4.5GB) in addition to several articles. I believe iLiad showed 0GB free space. Yet, I was able to read the articles. So, it appears that it is indeed iLiad's limitation. The ContentLister does not display capacity larger than 4GB although the full card can be still used. It is an annoying bug, and I hope iRex fixes this in the future.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #13
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, JBC, Onyx M92
use the c´t (www.heise.de) testprogram for that.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
i'd say you've got the same problem as i described http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...264#post171264 < here
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote