Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #841
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararose View Post
I would like to say that I LOVE the discussion here. I love the deals and freebies too obviously, but I learn so much from ya'll! And I'm sorry that I usually don’t have anything or don't have the time to contribute back! And while I may not always have time to read the discussions going on, I like knowing that it’s going on and when I have a moment, I can come here and skim through and find all kinds of new ideas and new recommendations being swapped back and forth. So PLEASE leave this board as-is!

That being said, I will add my recommendations to the pot while I have a moment to actually type something up!

If I can only recommend one book, it would be Linda Howard’s To Die For.

But since I refuse to be limited, how about a blast from the past? Ya'll were talking about historical romance, so I recommend Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss. Because I like my HR DRAMATIC! (I'm not really sure how historically accurate that novel is, but it sure is fun to read! Oh the DRAMA!) :

Different topic now, because I have a rambling brain. It irks me too when they automatically categorize female UF writers as PR. I acknowledge there is a lot of crossing of genre lines, but too often I have a great desire to rearrange the shelves at the bookstore!

And I don’t know where to draw the line for the genres either. I would say a HEA by the end of the book is necessary for it to be PR, but I wouldn’t say that automatically categorizes it as a PR either. I want to say that it’s when the romance is the main theme of the book, but that can be awfully subjective. For example, I have a hard time categorizing Ilona Andrew’s Edge series as PR, even though there is a HEA in each book, I think. To me, they are more UF with strong PR elements. And then there is Nalini Singh’s Guild Hunter series; is it UF or PR? I can’t decide! Maybe PR with strong UF elements? I don’t know anymore!

Ok, I'm going to stop thinking about that before my brain breaks.

Anyway, here are some other authors I'd recommend and how I would (mostly) categorize the genres they write in. Most of these are PR and/or UF, and some have already been mentioned. But it never hurts to reinforce other people’s recommendations, right?

Nalini Singh -- UF or PR? I can't decide; the lines are blurred!
Illona Andrews – UF with eventual romantic elements
Patricia Briggs -- UF with eventual romantic elements
Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassin series -- UF with eventual romantic elements
Jennifer Estep’s Bigtime Series – PR (with superheroes!)
Jacquelyn Frank -- PR
Marjorie M. Liu’s Dirk and Steele series– PR
Robin D. Owens – Futuristic/Paranormal Romance (similar premise to Jayne Castle books)
Kresley Cole – PR
Kerrelyn Sparks – PR Light (aka Funny PR)
Melanie Jackson – PR (with Fey)
Meljean Brook’s Iron Seas series – Steampunk with Romance
Mary Balogh – Historical Romance
Jude Deveraux – Her older HRs are pretty good (how accurate they are, I can’t say); and she was doing PR before it was a genre
Linda Howard – Still one of my favorites, although her older stuff was better; she was also doing PR before it was PR
I LOVE To Die For! Such a great book! I remember reading Shanna years ago, in fact I read it several times back then. I am not sure it would stand the test of time for me, but I remember it fondly. I like most of the author's on your rec list, I think I've read something from each of them except Melanie Jackson.
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #842
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurla View Post
Happy New Year all!!

I am happy to read that everyone sounds on the mend in our thread here - that is definitely wonderful to read and a reason to celebrate. Good and positive thoughts and prayers are still coming your way.

I wanted to chime in on goals for the year as well. I've been an avid reader for years but never really with any purpose in mind and definitely no goals! I pretty much read whatever looked good in the bookstore and moved on, though I did try to collect series when I could.

Of course, after discovering calibre, this site and kobo coupons in late 2012, my TBR exploded and I'm suddenly thinking I do need to set up some goals - or at least guidelines! I agree with what many of us have said in that I want to actually start reading my TBR rather than adding to it and along with that comes being a bit more choosy on the freebies and deals - which I have, actually, already been doing. Lately, my buying has been series completion which is an issue in itself, so I'm with Blu2u that I need to quit buying the entire thing until I have read enough to know I will like the author/series.

I know I've mentioned this before, but the challenge group I'm in at GR has actually helped me dig into my TBR and start reading from it. Many of the challenges have you choose books with certain things, themes, character types, etc. so I have to actually study some of my TBR to find books that fit. Over the last 2 months I've read about 10-15 from my TBR that were fairly deep in the list. So, I've made that my goal this year - to compile my challenge lists from my TBR and allowing myself to only purchase 3 books a month to fulfill the challenges. That's around 15+/- books a month in the challenges I join, so that should make a pretty good dent in my TBR....

That's not to say I will only BUY 4 books a month! That's just silly and would be setting up for failure for sure! I just mean that if I can't fulfill a challenge with the books I already own, then I don't need to join it, or think carefully before I do.

So no number of books goal for the year, just a concentrated effort to read my TBR and to be very careful about buying a complete series before knowing how I like it. I'm also considering reading one classic a month. I haven't quite committed to that yet, but it's something I've been thinking about for awhile...Considering it's about 4 hours until ball drop here, I'd better make up my mind!

Again, Happy New Year all!! I hope 2014 brings reading joy and success to you all - as well as joy and health in your everyday life!
Yes Happy New Year to you and everyone here on the Board. May the upcoming year be filled with wonderful things, and lots of good reads, for everyone!
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #843
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
It's 2014 over here! I'm so excited I feel like book-shopping
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #844
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I think I may have been the one to recommend it to you. Her BM books are different from her usual fare but they're great reads. I wish she'd write more like these.

I'm like you and I thought I would find the book repulsive but it wasn't.
I love the story she tells behind the Blair books.

Well I may read TLOG this year then.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #845
luv2readnohio
luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC-Me View Post

One I would have suggested but darn it is expensive in ebook and not couponable -
My Lady Notorious by Jo Beverley
Another off my keeper shelf. The start of the Malloren series and it is Georgian in setting not Regency! So one to watch for to see if the price ever drops. The Malloren series is one of my faves.
Isn't the Malloren series great!!! My Lady Notorious is probably my favorite.

My love of Georgian/Regency romances started due to Jo Beverley, Mary Jo Putney and Carla Kelly.
luv2readnohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #846
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Happy New Year!

We still got one hour to go but I figure now a good time to say it! May we reach our reading goals and buy lots of good quality books and make a dent in our TBR piles!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #847
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
It's 2014 over here! I'm so excited I feel like book-shopping
Do it!!!! Buy your first 2014 book!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #848
luv2readnohio
luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luv2readnohio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I've read To Die For as well. It was great! Someone here told me to read it and I did. The LH book I got on my TBR is Cry No More. I think it's going to be very intense not funny but sounds really good.
My favorite Linda Howard's are the MacKenzie family series and Mr. Perfect -- in fact, I was able to get enough votes for Mr. Perfect in my book club and we will be reading it as one of the selections for 2014.
luv2readnohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #849
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2readnohio View Post
My favorite Linda Howard's are the MacKenzie family series and Mr. Perfect -- in fact, I was able to get enough votes for Mr. Perfect in my book club and we will be reading it as one of the selections for 2014.
I have those are do plan to read them not sure when though.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #850
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:

I loved reading this! Now I want to reread these books, lol.

Quote:
Do it!!!! Buy your first 2014 book!
My first four books, you mean? Yes, I'll get right to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2readnohio View Post
I love the Mackenzies; these were some of the first books I bought for my Kindle. I love so many of her books it's hard to settle on a 'favorite' but I really love Dream Man and Now You See Her.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #851
Ararose
Enthusiast
Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
I've read To Die For as well. It was great! Someone here told me to read it and I did. The LH book I got on my TBR is Cry No More. I think it's going to be very intense not funny but sounds really good.

You are correct Blossom about Cry No More. It's not very funny (although there is some humor in there). It is an intense tear-jerker, but still very good. If you want another funny Linda Howard one, I'd say Mr. Perfect is good, if you haven't read that one yet. Not as funny as the Blair Mallory books, but still funny!
Ararose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #852
Ararose
Enthusiast
Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:

Oh wow! The origins of Blair Mallory are just as amusing as the books!
Ararose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #853
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Oh wow! The origins of Blair Mallory are just as amusing as the books!
LH is really a funny person in real life. Just add her to your Facebook. The stories her and LJ tell are great!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #854
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
You are correct Blossom about Cry No More. It's not very funny (although there is some humor in there). It is an intense tear-jerker, but still very good. If you want another funny Linda Howard one, I'd say Mr. Perfect is good, if you haven't read that one yet. Not as funny as the Blair Mallory books, but still funny!
I will. I do plan to Cry No More first though.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:28 AM   #855
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The best Romance I read in a very long time was The Last Hour of Gann by R Lee Smith. Science Fiction/Romance and it was a great read. It is very explicit with a great deal of violence and profanity. None of it was unnecessary to the plot. This book has a H/h and a HEA. Also, it is quite long. Lots of world building and character development.
I concur, imo it was my best read of 2013.

Btw, Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited by Tattncat; 01-01-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote