Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Lighter higher resolution Kindle PW3 coming in 2014 Q2

According to Engadget there is already talk of a lighter higher resolution PW3 coming in 2014 Q2. It is getting tiring on the gerbil wheel.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/24/n...-coming-in-q2/
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Too bad it still most likely won't have color e-ink, bigger internal storage or a bigger battery, that would be about the only things that could make me debate upgrading.

Last edited by discopig; 11-24-2013 at 11:44 AM.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
According to Engadget there is already talk of a lighter higher resolution PW3 coming in 2014 Q2. It is getting tiring on the gerbil wheel.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/24/n...-coming-in-q2/
Bwahahahahah!!

Oh please, that prediction could be made every year. It basically predicts a LIGHTER Kindle with a BETTER screen. Even that ridiculous Long Island Psychic could come up with that one.

My guess is that we will see a new and slightly better Kindle PW3 at the usual Sept/Oct time frame that will still have QC issues with the screen lighting layer. And afterwards, Sirmaru will proclaim it the best Kindle ever and the rest of us will do little more than yawn.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW|PW3
Fix pinholes and uneven lighting, and keep the old design
duydangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Absolutely !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
And afterwards, Sirmaru will proclaim it the best Kindle ever and the rest of us will do little more than yawn.
100% CORRECT. I'll be checking for the pre-order page on Amazon all the time now.

I presume my PW 2012 and 2013 will be useful as Easter gifts then. Its PW 2014 for me for sure.

I'm still awaiting the HDXYZ 2014 for next November.

Automatic Kindle buyers like me should get some sort of quantity discount from Amazon as well (hint, Amazon, if you are reading this). Amazon already offers additional discounts for those who arrange for periodic deliveries of certain disposal consumer items at their site.

The Chinese supplier, Foxconn, must be cleaning up. I heard on TV that Apple employs 25,000 in the USA but 700,000 in China using Foxconn as a subcontractor. I have not heard of the Amazon equivalent numbers.

Between corporations like Amazon, Apple, GE, GM, Coca Cola, Boeing and Walmart Chinese employment is soaring while US employment continues to decline as 72,000 US factories were moved in their entirety from America to China since China joined the WTO in 2001.

If we buy iPads or Kindles, we are really buying from China, not America. If we buy Samsung products, we are buying from South Korea with some of those products being made on a subcontract to North Korea in the DMZ.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-24-2013 at 11:29 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here is a link to the original tech crunch article:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/24/ama...rly-next-year/
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpars View Post

Here are some quotes from that link:

"A new custom font specially designed for reading on the device will be a major improvement. "

and,

"Rounding out the features of the next Kindle Paperwhite is an ambient light sensor that will take readings of the light in the room and adjust the screen brightness to compensate. On the prototype that we saw the light sensor was faintly visible behind the black bezel in the upper corner of the unit. The system gradually adjusts light in timing with the way an average person’s retina expands or contracts in order to prevent jarring transitions."

That new font, especially, will be a hammer for those who were complaining about the present fonts.

Right now my PW 2013 keeps freezing just about once a week and requires a reset. Hopefully, the PW 2014 will have solved that problem as well.

I'd advise, that anyone who has not yet purchased a PW 2013, to wait for the PW 2014. The two improvements I cited above, alone ,would deem that as a good strategy. If they want an eReader for Christmas, they should buy the HDX 2013.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-24-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpars View Post

We heard this rumor prior to the release of the PW2 and some were saying they thought it applied to the then unreleased PW2. It didn't. Companies often build several prototypes each year and many of those never materialize into an actual released product. The description sounds more like a Fire tablet than an eInk, and the photos look more like a Fire, but really there is very little info in the description. I guarantee though that if they switch to a highly reflective glass screen like most tablets have, there will be a huge outcry from diehard eInk reader fans. It wouldn't bother me, but I think it would bother the diehards.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard

HDX 2013 elimiantes most glare.

Quote:
The description sounds more like a Fire tablet than an eInk, and the photos look more like a Fire, but really there is very little info in the description. I guarantee though that if they switch to a highly reflective glass screen like most tablets have, there will be a huge outcry from diehard eInk reader fans. It wouldn't bother me, but I think it would bother the diehards.
The HDX 2013 has eliminated almost all glare. It has a light absorbent screen which works perfectly if one uses white text on a black background at about 50% illumination. This is in contrast to the HD 2012 with a huge amount of glare not suitable for reading in sun light or bright overhead fluorescent lighting.

It is not as good as the PW 2013 in bright light but its possible that the PW's and Fires may be MERGING as suggested above. That would be a major advance in eReaders. I miss the apps unavailable on the PW 2013.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-24-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
To be honest, I'm more intrigued by the buttons, lighter weight, and being flush with the bezel than the higher res screen.

The weight and thickness, as well as the lack of buttons, is the biggest dissatisfaction I have w/ Kindle PW 2013. Actually, I more hope that the Kindle PW line continues and is not replaced by this possible higher end line, and that they improve the portability of the PW for 2014.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

That new font, especially, will be a hammer for those who were complaining about the present fonts.

Will it be a hammer we can use on a certain personage on MR?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
According to Engadget there is already talk of a lighter higher resolution PW3 coming in 2014 Q2. It is getting tiring on the gerbil wheel.[/url]
Wow and I can predict that there'll be an even "better" one the year after
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Haptic vibrating edge? Oookay. That'll be the first thing I turn off to save battery. If you're going to add gimmick, I think I'd rather have an accelerometer so I can turn page by flicking or bumping the unit or something like that,

Lighter and higher ppi is good. What the pw2 should have had, really.

I don't know if I want a glass screen flush with the bevel. The light diffusion layer needs to be above the eink screen. In order to make the top layer flush with the bevel, will they have to increase the gap and recess the eink screen farther away. That will reduce the native contrast of the eink screen, which is already worse than the basic kindle black. (by "native" contrast I mean contrast without the light being on). The kobo aura has a flush screen, and the background is darker than the pw. Does not necessarily mean there's a causal link, of course, but it is not a good indication.

Last edited by Barty; 11-24-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Wow and I can predict that there'll be an even "better" one the year after
Old 11-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Bwahahahahah!!

Oh please, that prediction could be made every year. It basically predicts a LIGHTER Kindle with a BETTER screen. Even that ridiculous Long Island Psychic could come up with that one.

My guess is that we will see a new and slightly better Kindle PW3 at the usual Sept/Oct time frame that will still have QC issues with the screen lighting layer. And afterwards, Sirmaru will proclaim it the best Kindle ever and the rest of us will do little more than yawn.
It slices!! It dices!!...and that's not all, if you pre-order today we'll also send you a ________ (fill in the blank).

I didn't realize that AMAZON was an anagram of RONCO!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote