Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Share Your Case for the Nexus 7.2

We were discussing cases in the Black Friday thread so instead of clutter up the thread I thought I start one here.

Does anyone know of any good cases for the Nexus 7.2?

I have this case here It's okay but it Auto On/Off doesn't seem to work well and the left bottom corner doesn't seem to fit as snugly as it should. The HDX version is well made so I thought this one would be too.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
library addict
Wizard
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini, Nexus 7 2
I'll just repost my earlier thoughts from the Black Friday thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I got the M-Edge Universal Stealth 360 because it was the only case I've seen (in stores or online) that did both landscape and portrait mode. Plus Staples had a $10 off coupon.

It was pricey ($35 after the coupon), but I wanted a case from the get go. Also it was only available in black or raspberry (pink) whereas I would have preferred purple or blue, but I digress.

Since it is a universal case and not designed specifically for the Nexus, the upper right corner strap is exactly where the power button is. However this doesn't impede use of the button. It's just a semi-annoying quirk I've already become adjusted to.

The griptrack works well for the most part though I did knock the device off kilter pressing the screen a few times on day one. It never actually fell over so that's a plus. But the area that will hold it securely is not the whole griptrack. This issue is with portrait mode only, landscape mode has a wider range of angles at which it is stable.
I bought it at Staples ($45-$10 coupon). But here is a link to the same case on Amazon as I don't see it listed on Staples.com
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD; Nexus 7; PRS-350, 950; Kindle K; OnePlus One; Galaxy S4; MBP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Those of you who just bought a Nexus 7.2 what case do you use?
Like you, I hawked the Staples deal (32GB model for $219) immediate mot, which means I began looking for a proper case last Saturday.

I gave Nexus 7.2 cases a lot of forehead space over the weekend and ultimately chose two: The Nillkin Ultra-Thin Case in black for incognito urban foraging and the MOFI Smart Cover Premium Case in orange or green for more flamboyant moments. The Nillkin arrived on Wednesday and the Mofu will probably show up three weeks from now.

People claim that the Nillkin has more attention to detail than the other two popular models (the Poetic and the Moko). I don't know whether that's true -- the ultra-thin models all look the same to me -- but I can tell you the Nillkin is better made than the official cover for the Kobo Aura HD and also that the precision of its details are pretty (I hear that word in the voice of a drunken young woman from Florida talking about a man in leather pants).

What I wish is that someone made a case for the N7 that routed the back speakers' signal to the left and right front of the N7 in landscape mode. It could easily be done!

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-22-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Like you, I got in on the Staples deal (32GB model for $219), which means I began looking for a proper case last Saturday.

I gave Nexus cases a lot of thought over the weekend and chose two in particular: The Nillkin Ultra-Thin Case in black for incognito urban foraging and the MOFI Smart Cover Premium Case in orange or green for more flamboyant moments. The Nillkin arrived on Wednesday and the Mofu will probably show up three weeks from now.

People claim that the Nillkin has more attention to detail than the other two popular models (the Poetic and the Moko). I don't know whether that's true -- the ultra-thin models all look the same to me -- but I can tell you the Nillkin is better made than the official cover for the Kobo Aura HD and also that the precision of its details are pretty (I hear that word in the voice of a drunken young woman from Florida talking about a man in leather pants).

What I wish is that someone made a case for the N7 that routed the back speakers' signal to the left and right front of the N7 in landscape mode. It could easily be done!
The Nillkin one does look really nice. I looked at Amazon but there are a few there hard to tell which is one is a real one.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I'll just repost my earlier thoughts from the Black Friday thread.

I bought it at Staples ($45-$10 coupon). But here is a link to the same case on Amazon as I don't see it listed on Staples.com
The straps would drive me batty. I like the snap in kind best!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Nillkin one does look really nice. I looked at Amazon but there are a few there hard to tell which is one is a real one.
I bought mine from "Nillkin, Ship from USA by FBA Storefront," but their N7.2 product pages seem to be down for now (when I bought mine in black, only one was left). Obviously, delivery was fast.

I also picked up an Anker matte screen protector, which was delivered along with the case. I have mixed feelings about the Anker -- it makes the sculpted resolution of the N7.2 look pixelated (and in that respect resembles a Hoku screen protector for the hoary Sony PSP2) -- but at least it's doing its job.

One point in your case's favor is that it has a stronger magnet which keeps the case shut. Mine doesn't have that, but I don't miss it; the official Kobo Aura HD cover is exactly the same.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-22-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
library addict
Wizard
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini, Nexus 7 2
Quote:
The straps would drive me batty. I like the snap in kind best!
I don't really notice them anymore.

My Oberon case for my Sony has straps as well. I notice those more as they are black straps and my reader is red. But they don't bother me either.

But I can totally see how they would drive you batty if you are used to a snap in case.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Speaking of cases with built-in speaker chambers to redirect the sound to the front of the Nexus 7:

The Bobj Rugged Case
Old 11-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Kindle PW, LG G3
I got the Poetic Slimline for the pre-order price of $5 including shipping. The open/on feature has been working perfectly for me but I got the earlier version (3 magnets). A month or so later the company sent me another one, the revised version (2 magnets), apparently there had been a lot of customer feedback about magnets. Version 2 is still sitting in an envelope in my closet. For $5 I think I got my money's worth.

That being said, those Nilkins looks nice.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
A month or so later the company sent me another one, the revised version (2 magnets), apparently there had been a lot of customer feedback about magnets. Version 2 is still sitting in an envelope in my closet. For $5 I think I got my money's worth.
That might be the best customer service on record -- you didn't complain or even ask for a replacement. Who was the seller?

I wanted something sleek, precisely fitted and low-profile that would arrive swiftly and the Nillkin is and did, so it's doing a job that is needed but might be temporary.

What i don't like about all of our ultra-slim cases -- from Nillkin, Poetic, Moko and others -- is that they seem not to provide any real drop protection.

I'm looking into buying a hardier case for complex commutes and bleary-orbed morning multi-toting. It might be nice if said case didn't make my Nexus look like a child's steering wheel or a miniature inflatable wading pool.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-23-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That might be the best customer service on record -- you didn't even ask for a replacement. Who was the seller?

I wanted something sleek and low-profile that would arrive swiftly and the Nillkin is and did, so it's doing a job that is needed but might be temporary.

What i don't like about all of our ultra-slim cases -- from Nillkin, Poetic, Moko and others -- is that they seem not to provide any real drop protection.

I'm looking into buying a hardier case for complex commutes and bleary-orbed morning multi-toting. It might be nice if said case didn't make my Nexus look like a child's steering wheel or a miniature inflatable wading pool.
I would get a hard case with like a netting inside that will fit the tablet and case both. I am currently shopping for one for travel. I don't think a padded sleeve is going to work for me.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (first gen), Kobo Aura HD
I have this one and I really like it.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
I have this case here It's okay but it Auto On/Off doesn't seem to work well and the left bottom corner doesn't seem to fit as snugly as it should.
Sorry to hear that! Do you happen to have a photo and did the box specify that the case was for the Nexus 2013? A few people have complained about receiving the wrong item from Smart Shop in the past few days. That seller tends to be praised highly in Amazon's feedback feed, but if your case doesn't fit, then perhaps they made a mistake.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-23-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #14
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry to hear that! Do you happen to have a photo and did the box specify that the case was for the Nexus 2013? A few people have complained about receiving the wrong item from Smart Shop in the past few days. That seller tends to be praised highly in Amazon's feedback feed, but if your case doesn't fit, then perhaps they made a mistake.
I didn't get mine from them. I thought I did It was from Best Deals Online on Amazon. So the warranty I guess is void. Looking at it you wouldn't know but just apply a little gentle pressure and the tablet pops out of the corner. The other corner works like it should it takes more force to pop it out.

The box does say it's for the Nexus 7 FHD Second generation but it has two magnets not three and I've give up on the auto on working. Off works well though. I read two magnets means it's the latest case.

It works good enough for now I just worry with that corner not being as snug as it should.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
I got a couple of Poetic cases:

Poetic Slimline Case: An excellent slim, snap-in case for general use that uses a magnet to stay closed and to turn on/off the Nexus 7.2.

Poetic Revolution Case: Excellent armored protection, but the included, built-in screen protector is rubbish. The screen protector did not work well with the touchscreen. I simply removed the built-in screen protector and use the case whenever I am outdoors using the Nexus 7.2 with my DSLR camera. This is similar to an Otterbox Defender at a fraction of the cost, but not nearly as well constructed. BTW, Otterbox does not make a Defender for the Nexus 7.2.

ETA: The built-in screen protector on my Poetic Revolution Case didn't work well as far as touch sensitivity. It made using the touch screen very difficult. Others claim theirs worked fine, so I might have just gotten a bad one. I prefer no screen protector, so instead of returning I removed it.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-23-2013 at 11:28 AM.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote