Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Of the books you read, what percent are ebooks?
0% - all of my reading is done with paper books 2 0.67%
1-25% 19 6.38%
26-50% 14 4.70%
51-75% 20 6.71%
76-99% 136 45.64%
100% - all of my reading is done with ebooks 105 35.23%
What's an ebook? 0 0%
Who cares - I love voting in polls 2 0.67%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4S, FireHD7.1, Nexus7.2, Nexus4, ClipZip
People Don't Buy Books Anymore...

...they download them.

Well, I'm watching this Hallmark movie - Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade (2012) - when I hear that line. The star of the movie went to a bookstore with her friend, only to learn that it was going out of business and being torn down. She considered it a landmark, but the developer of the new project (our male lead) just happened to be there (yeah, right) and didn't care. Anyway, she jumped all over him saying how she bought her first Nancy Drew there and here first Agatha Christie. His response - "people don't buy books anymore, they download them" - love that line.

So, that brings me to the purpose of this thread. Of the books you read, what percent are ebooks? For me, I totally relate with the thread title. I download 100%.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-13-2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: forgot link
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
~90% ebook. I would be happy if I never read a paper book ever again, but unfortunately some books I want to read are not yet available as ebooks.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-13-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: 90% ebook.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
I put 51-75%, but I've estimated, not counted. A lot of books I want to read aren't available as ebooks within my library's system.

That's of books I read, not of books I buy. Of books I buy to read myself, I'm closer to 90-95% ebooks. Of books I buy for others, nearly 100% paper.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (first gen), Kobo Aura HD
100% for me. Ever since I got a Kindle, I haven't purchased a single pbook.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
eschwartz
Suspended
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
I read a lot of both. They complement each other nicely.

Besides, as a religious Jew I cannot use electronic devices on the Sabbath.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Only when I get a B&N gift code.

So I'm very close to 100% too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-505, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S II
I generally buy before downloading. I mean, I still pay for them and get them from a shop, so I'd rather consider that "buying", not just "downloading"...

As for the poll, it's basically 99% ebooks for me. Not quite 100% as I've been buying the odd collectible or just plain beautiful hardback or, if I can get hold of them, an ARC / uncorrected proof copy of a favourite book, but pretty much all my actual reading is ebook-only.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
library addict
Wizard
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini, Nexus 7 2
I read 95% digital. Still buy some print and sometimes get library books in print as my library's digital collection isn't that big yet.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:55 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
On occasion I buy a book (from my local used book store) but most books I get now are ebooks. Not sure how much I've spent on ebooks either as most of them were bought during free periods for the actual books (like Smashwords Summer/Winter sale). Something that wouldn't be possible with paper books.
Besides you need a lot less space to store ebooks than you do the paper ones.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Black, Kobo Aura HD
I voted for 100%. In the past two years I've read two pbooks, both were rereads of books I had for years. I do occcasionally buy pbooks, but those are books as cookbooks or about hobbies and I don't count those as reading books.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4S, FireHD7.1, Nexus7.2, Nexus4, ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I do occcasionally buy pbooks, but those are books as cookbooks or about hobbies and I don't count those as reading books.
I agree with that
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
stevenaleach
stevenaleach began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
I voted 100% - which isn't entirely true, since I do own one - and only one - paper book: Mother Earth News's Handbook of Homemade Power from 1974. However, my netbook contains around 28,000 books in epub/mobi formats (in a VERY slow Calibre library) plus a couple hundred gigabytes of PDF's on an external drive. When I hear a book mentioned that I think I might want to read, I usually google it immediately and have added it to my collection within minutes. Similarly, I was curious about the movie that tubemonkey mentioned above - so it is cued up in another tab ready to be streamed (as soon as the How I Met Your Mother episode I'm watching in yet another tab is over). The other day, two older ladies were sitting behind me in a coffee house and one was describing and recommending Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere to the other. Since I've never read anything by Gaiman, and it sounded interesting, I pulled out my tablet while listening - and had downloaded the book before she finished describing it. I have spent nothing on media in many years. Having less than $300 to live on once my rent and phone bill are paid each month, I don't feel guilty about this - I am not denying anyone sales that they would receive without my piracy.
stevenaleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #13
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
By the wording of the poll, I checked off 76 - 99% ebook, but the poll does ask about reading, not buying. I occasionally buy used books, more often used Science Fiction magazines from the fifties through the seventies, but I haven't bought a new paper-based book in a few years, at least.

I do read pbooks that I borrow from the library, especially when I want to dig deeper into a series that maintains a high price point. In fact, I expect to be borrowing another book next week.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
100%. I do still own a lot of DTBs, but I would only read them if I really wanted to read them and an ebook would not be available. Or I can convert them to ebook.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - 3G, Fire HD2, Paperwhite 2
I had to do 76 - 99% as my Bible study is not yet 100% digital. All my other reading is ebooks though. So I guess I.m around 95%?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote