Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you sync your device?
Every day 4 4.40%
Frequently but not every day 5 5.49%
Once a week 3 3.30%
Only when necessary (to update bookmarks, download new books, etc) 32 35.16%
Only when there is a new firmware available 10 10.99%
Sometime after the new firmware is released and people have commented about it 19 20.88%
Never, I like to use an older firmware and don’t want it to update 18 19.78%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
tempest@de
Groupie
tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.tempest@de 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kobo Glo, Hanlin V3
How often do you sync your device?

I’m curious to know if the kobo users sync often their devices.

In the beginning I synced when a new update was available, later after have experienced the annoyance caused by the new bugs I waited to see what was new in the updates and only then would I sync, and now I don’t sync has I think I’m better with the firmware that I have.
Also I only read in the glo so I don’t need to sync my bookmarks and all the books I buy are send trough caliber so I really don’t see the need to sync.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
I've just made the decision not to sync any more, because I manage books through Calibre and it was just getting annoying trying to work out what was what.

I also prefer the page numbers showing total pages, rather than the pages in the chapter. I do like syncing across devices, but truly, I really only use the Glo. If I'm out, it wouldn't hurt me to work out where I'm up to on the app on one of my other devices, but generally I found the syncing didn't work that well for me anyway, as I keep the wifi disabled to maximize battery life.
spersephone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Aura, HD, Glo, Mini), KPW1, Nexus 7.2, KFHD'12(n2a), Nook HD
Never!

I like to be the one in control of my devices. If I did want to upgrade the firmware, I would side load it. I have no need to sync, as all my kobo books get run through Calibre to improve their appearance before being put on my Glo or Mini.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
If I am reading a KEPUB I will, otherwise I do not sync since there is nothing really so synchronise anyways. Book synchronization is a handy little feature and it is a shame it can't work with regular EPUBS, I am sure it could be done but there is no gain for Kobo to do so.

I find the wifi handy to use along with the web browser, I can read news without being chained to a computer.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
anacreon
Groupie
anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.anacreon composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: sony prs-t2, kobo aura HD + aura
I prefer to sideload new F/W Versions when I've read that it improves things and works, but I now sync briefly several times a week to get pocket articles. I gathered - and I hope that is right - that should kobo manage to download a new version, it is enough to delete KoboRoot.tgz before closing down the reader.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo
I've started syncing it a lot more often since it got Pocket integration.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
I let it sync by itself if the WiFi is on. If I am concerned about the battery I turn the wifi off and then it doesn't sync. I sync manually if I have pocket articles waiting or if I bought new books. I have never had major issues with firmware (except maybe the dictionary lookup issue back in 2.5 I think it was) so generally I'm fine with upgrading, especially since I do prefer my books to be kepubs (so the notes sync if I make any).
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
icallaci
Addict
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Apple iPad3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Kobo Aura HD
Never, but it's not because I like to use older firmware. I sideload everything, including the latest firmware. I never sync.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
lohtse
Zealot
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
I only sync when added articles to Pocket!
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7, iPad 3
For quite a while, I synced to check for new firmware versions. When I purchased a book from Kobo, I would download the .epub version and transfer it manually.

When I sideloaded FW 2.9.0 on my Aura HD, I was syncing daily when playing with Pocket but I've dropped that back to twice a week or so.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Syncing always seems to cause me problems. I recently synced to get firmware 2.8.1 and got double shelves. Luckily I had backed up the database first so was easy enough to fix.

I'd like to try pocket, but it's not worth the aggravation.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Never, but it's not because I like to use older firmware. I sideload everything, including the latest firmware. I never sync.
This. I even use a different account just for the reader because I don't want purchased but not downloaded books in my library.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo
My Glo uses my 'dummy' kobo account - an account that I never use to buy books with.
I buy books with another Kobo account.

So my Kobo Desktop app I keep in the name of the dummy account and only use if I want to update the firmware and sync the Glo via desktop rather than direct link (as in Murg's thread).

I download all my Kobo purchases directly into my Sony Reader for PC, and then import into Calibre and onto whichever one of my devices suits. (I don't ever use my ADE account or desktop app - just straight into Sony Reader for PC)

I don't buy or use kepub on my Glo - they're all sanitized epubs via Calibre.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I usually sync 2-3 times a week or whenever I finish a book, unless there is new firmware out in which case I sync 2-3 times a day in the hope I will get the update early.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
I'm another one who mainly syncs just to get new Pocket articles.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote