Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with that poll is that it's not valid because it has look/feel lumped together when they should have been separate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
As explained elsewhere, I'm unable to distinguish between "look" and "feel" in this context; they are the same to me. Clearly, over 100 MobileRead users who voted in that poll don't feel the need to distinguish between the two, either. Moreover, in the beginning of the thread, it is made clear that the poll simply focuses on iOS 7 looks rather than its functionality.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
As explained elsewhere, I'm unable to distinguish between "look" and "feel" in this context; they are the same to me. Clearly, over 100 MobileRead users who voted in that poll don't feel the need to distinguish between the two, either. Moreover, in the beginning of the thread, it is made clear that the poll simply focuses on iOS 7 looks rather than its functionality.
It's most likely that because they have no choice to have look and/or feel, they voted based on what the options were. Try again with a new multiple choice vote that separates look and feel and then see how the results are. I know your reasoning, but it doesn't work for everyone and it doesn't work for the poll.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No need to try again because, as explained, I'm unable to see any difference between "look" and "feel" in this context. You are the only person so far claiming there is a difference between the two. I do understand there is a difference between looks and functionality, and the poll makes it clear it's about the looks. (The functionality of iOS 7 is unsatisfactory, too, but the poll doesn't deal with it.)
Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I am getting divorce ...

Quote:
No need to try again because, as explained, I'm unable to see any difference between "look" and "feel" in this context. You are the only person so far claiming there is a difference between the two. I do understand there is a difference between looks and functionality, and the poll makes it clear it's about the looks. (The functionality of iOS 7 is unsatisfactory, too, but the poll doesn't deal with it.)
I got a question for you: if you hate Apple's software and products so much, why you buy them? Actually, why you are posting here, in the Apple forum?

My post was about GoodReader app, not iOs.

Do something more useful and help people with tips. Otherwise I think that you are better out of this section, because your posts don't add anything constructive.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-07-2013 at 03:08 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #21
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
My post was about GoodReader app, not iOs.
As you can see, I reacted in terms of GoodReader, discussing its alternatives. Later I reacted to points made by other posters in this thread. Please don't single me out for your off-topic objections.

I don't "hate Apple products"; I love both the iPad, and the iPhone, and the MacBooks. I think iPad Air is clearly the best tablet available this holiday season. It's amazing hardware. I find Apple's software to be generally of very bad quality, especially iOS 7, because it's inescapable. Whereas you can ignore Apple's default apps (not quite, due to iOS not allowing you to permanently set default apps), this is not possible with iOS 7.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
iOS 7 has next to no new features compared to iOS 6.
Next to no new features? Seriously?
https://developer.apple.com/library/...cles/iOS7.html

iOS 7 may still be rough and in need of more polishing, but claiming next to no new features is a gross exaggeration.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Thumbs down

I insist it's no exaggeration. The page full with technical background specs means nothing to the end user. Really, I can only see 3 new features in iOS 7 versus iOS 6 (please remind me of more if there are any):
  • Control Center (badly implemented, because 100% non-configurable)
  • new multi-tasking switcher (but still no app-switching gesture on the iPhone)
  • spotlight search moved from left-most screen to top of screen (meh)
I don't count AirDrop, because that's only available to owners of (relatively) new hardware.

So, to me, the summary is "next to no new features". The main difference between iOS 6 and iOS 7 is cosmetics: what was previously nice to look at, is now hideous. Instead of improving iOS's functionality and introducing at least some confugurability/flexibility to it, Apple just dumped tons of ugly make-up on the old system. Fail!

Last edited by Faterson; 11-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #24
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Well, there are quite a few new user facing features and refinements.
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/09/ios-7-features.html
To name just a few -- Background Refresh (allows apps to intelligently do more things in the background), FaceTime Audio (better sound quality than a regular phone call), better camera app, better photos organization, and I really do find AirDrop useful.

The majority of the changes are probably more developer-focused, but that is a good thing. It's not so important for the OS to have a ton of new user facing features, but it is important for the OS to enable developers to build even better apps. I definitely spend more time using apps than I do playing around in the OS's UI. So all those technical improvements in iOS 7 are going to enable more powerful and versatile apps in the future (at least, that's the hope).

Fear not, though. I've read that there's a jailbreak ready and waiting for 7.1 to be released. I'm sure you'll be able to customize iOS exactly how you like it afterwards.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote