Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Exclamation OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) + iBooks

As noted in the Calibre + Apple iDevices: Start here sticky and the iOS reader applications plugin sticky, calibre is no longer able to communicate with iTunes or iBooks under OS X 10.9.

The problem is that Apple completely changed the way that ebooks are managed in Mavericks. Under previous versions of OS X, it was possible for calibre to use app automation to communicate with iTunes using Applescript. The new iBooks for OSX application doesn't support Applescript.

As a result, as of calibre 1.8, the 'Connect to iTunes' menu option has been removed when running under Mavericks. The next release of the iOS reader applications plugin will remove iBooks as a supported reader application when running under Mavericks.

There is no estimate at this time as to if or when USB support for iBooks might return to calibre. There is an existing ticket in calibre's bug tracker.

In the meantime, here are the options I'm aware of:
  • Revert to an earlier version of OS X.
  • Use calibre's content server and iOS's 'Open in' feature to add books from your library to iBooks on your iDevice.
  • Consider switching to Marvin (for ePubs) and GoodReader (for PDFs), both supported by the iOS reader applications plugin.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 10-26-2013 at 08:09 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
stormerider
stormerider began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3, Nook Color, Nook HD+
My workaround: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225516
stormerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
carolineooo
carolineooo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Hi,
I have implemented the solution to remove iBooks found at:
https://discussions.apple.com/messag...42460#23542460
Effectively, this has meant that Calibre was working perfectly fine with iTunes, even though I am running Mavericks...
Is there any chance that the Send to iTunes functionality could be added back?
It seems a shame that it is now Calibre that is stopping me from adding my ebooks, rather than Apple...
Thanks,
Caroline
carolineooo is offline   Reply With Quote