Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
songzuying
songzuying began at the beginning.

Device: K3, K4 black
Rooting HD+ can automatic receive update from BN?

I want root my hd+, and delete some soft to free some memory and save battery.
root cause auto update failed??
songzuying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Assorted Nooks
I wouyld suggest looking around at
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2034 A lot of knowledge there!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by songzuying View Post
I want root my hd+, and delete some soft to free some memory and save battery.
root cause auto update failed??
Are you talking about root mods detailed in this thread at xda?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

Originally the mods offered by leapinlar in that thread did not prevent B&N from automatically updating your HD/HD+. This was actually a hassle, as the last update, 2.1.1, didn't offer significant or noticeable improvement for many while it actually impaired some functionality and wiped out some of the mods that were made to stock.

I see that leapinlar has now revised that thread to include root mods which prevent B&N automatic updates. This is desirable! And I will in fact now flash this to my Nook HD, which is rooted the old way, to prevent any further B&N updates. I will also use it to root my HD+ when it comes.

At this point, any new firmware by B&N for the HD/HD+ is not going to add any significant benefits -- like the new firmware in May did -- as the product is mature. 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 are both stable and work well. So if you forgo any further updates, I don't think you will miss anything. It's really questionable whether any new firmware will be released at all for these devices anyway. It may be a moot point.

At any rate, there are methods in the thread I linked to which can get you back to unmodified stock. But, as I said, I'm not sure there is any benefit to that at this point.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote