Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
LaGringa
Enthusiast
LaGringa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Edit Table of Contents function

My reading experience is greatly improved by books with ToC. Sometimes I go back to re-read something or search for something and lose my place, etc. I also like being able to roughly tell how much more of the chapter or book there is. It seems that most books I've read lately don't have a ToC or it's really screwed up, listing the same chapter 3-5 times for example or having whole blocks of text instead of just "Chapter 1". So I decided to give the "Edit Table of Contents" function a try.

I've done a lot of reading of the forum, tutorials, etc, but I'm still totally confused so maybe I should start with some basic questions:

I understand that there can be two ToCs. One is called in-line and is just a page in the book which may or may not have clickable links. The other is (I think) called the metadata ToC and it is in an .ncx file. Is Calibre's 'Edit ToC' function showing and editing the ToC that functions with the ereader menu?

Will editing this ToC also correct the in-line ToC if there is one? If not and the book has a really screwed up in-line ToC, should I just delete it?

Do I have to reconvert the file in order for these changes to take or does clicking okay automatically save the changes to the file permanently?

Will 'Polish Book' save the ToC changes?

Which ToC is the Calibre reader showing in the sidebar?

I'm sure that I must be doing something wrong. I've edited (or created) several ToCs but when I send the book to the device and open it, the ToC is not there. When I click 'Go To', the ToC option is greyed out. When I open the same book in Calibre's reader, it sometimes shows the nicely edited ToC and other times, it doesn't show a ToC at all (after all that work!)

I'm using AZW3 files and a Kindle keyboard. Some of the books I've tried this with are old PG files and others are newer Amazon non-DRM books.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

----
ETC: changed 'search' to 'Go To'

Last edited by LaGringa; 10-15-2013 at 06:04 PM.
LaGringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
HTML (inline) is mostly your job
Except..
When converting from EPUB with the option

??? Why don't people just do a test book and SEE what they get ???
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I'm sure some folks do. But what they get versus what they expected don't always meet eye-to-eye.

Generating a well-crafted ebook is almost an arcane art and, due to it's similarity to HTML and the Browser Wars of an earlier era, beginner's believe it should be one implementation fits all. Except, of course, it doesn't work that way. There is no universal way to create a specific feature that covers every software or hardware viewer (excepting plain text display). Not to mention that some perfectly good coding, that complies with the ebook format standard (whatever one you happen to be using) simply does not work because of bugs in the reader itself.

Crafting a good ebook seems easy - until you actual try to do it. Then it turns into a nightmarish snarl of poor implementations, coding confusion and arcane wizardry.

And let's face it, ToCs are not the easiest issue to deal with. Heck, I don't mess with them because I know I'm not qualified to do more than point and click a few of the more horrendous errors out of existence (Yaaay Sigil WYSIWYG!). But only after I make sure I've got a back up.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
LaGringa
Enthusiast

I'm sorry but I don't understand your reply about HTML and EPubs.

I have done some test books, several actually, and I'm not seeing the revised ToC on my device, hence my confusion. After I edit and save the ToC, I check it and I do see the revised ToC in Calibre's reader. I delete the original book from my Kindle and upload the revised one but the new ToC doesn't show up on my Kindle.

I just thought I might be missing a basic step, or have a wrong setting, or as my questions indicated, maybe I need to reconvert the file to get the new ToC to stick? .... Nope. Tried that, too. The device is not showing the new ToC.

I've been going round in circles. I've tried everything that my pea brain can think of trying and that's why I'm here.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Edit ToC feature edits the metadata ToC, not any inline ToC. The Kindle Keyboard uses the inline ToC, therefore Edit ToC is nto going to be directly useful for you. Instead convert your azw3 files to epub, use the edit toc tool on the epub and then convert the epub back to AZW3.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
And note that even the route I described may not work without some manual tweaking of the intermediate EPUB (you might need to remove the reference to the inline ToC from the <guide> section in the opf file inside the EPUB).

Essentially editing ToCs for older Kindle's is not an easy task.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
LaGringa,
Just in case, my previous post was directed more toward theducks. A separate response to you was made unnecessary by a much briefer and clearer response from Kovid while I was typing. So I'll leave that alone.

I would just advise going slowly, make regular back-ups, and expect that whatever you do today might not work on another viewer/reader or different device (whatever you're using in the future). So always keep the original file safe because you may need to do this again.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 10-16-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
LaGringa
Enthusiast

Thanks for replying, Kovid. It was disappointing to find that the problem is my device but slightly gratifying to find that it wasn't that I was doing something wrong. I wanted to try converting to Epub before I answered and then my internet went out for a day and a half and I couldn't get back here.

So.....going the Epub/Sigil/AZW3 route worked, but it's quite a convoluted process as you said. I'll probably only do it for very large books or 'special' books that don't have a ToC. I have several 150+ year old books that I'd like to clean up just because no one else has. I don't know if I'll be able to do a nice enough job to offer them here but we'll see.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
LaGringa
Enthusiast

Sarbardeyn, yes, I understood that. My reply was to theducks, too, because I hadn't seen your response yet. Thanks for the tip about keeping the original. I learned that lesson back in the beginning of using Calibre!