Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 4
Bad rendering for converted document in Calibre ebook reader

UPDATE: probably it's a viewer bug, see this post.

I converted the attached html document (the bzip file) to an epub document. If I open it with the Calibre ebook reader I can't read anything but two divs. My Kobo has no problems to read it correctly.

I have Calibre 1.7 on Linux.

EDIT: As Kovid Goyal pointed out, a workaroud is to use the flow mode.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-23-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That html uses javascript to display its contents. Most ebook viewers do not support javascript.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughing

It doesn't use javascript, I can see it with NoScript with JS disabled for the doc.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-14-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then it's a magic conspiracy that is preventing it from being displayed in anything except your browser.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

As I previously said, the browser shows me the original document correctly (and Kindle shows me correctly the converted one). It's the Calibre e-book viewer that does not show the converted document correctly. So the magic conspiracy is for Calibre only or for your browser that creates JS for HTML only docs

I attach the converted document as well.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-15-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
So the magic conspiracy is for Calibre only or for your browser that creates JS for HTML only docs
When your source has a dozen or so JS files in it, it is easy to jump to conclusions.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

So it wasn't JS, it was some kind of absolute layout markup instead, click the little yellow scroll icon in the top right corner of the viewer and it will work.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I can confirm the book is displayed well using flow mode.

I purged the html package from useless files and corrected html and css so they pass all w3c validators, and the problem still happens (bad using page mode, good with flow mode). Maybe the ebook reader adds some html tags to divide the html into pages, and this brokes up this document?

I re-uploaded the documents, see first post.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
I can confirm the book is displayed well using flow mode.

I purged the html package from useless files and corrected html and css so they pass all w3c validators, and the problem still happens (bad using page mode, good with flow mode).
There is nothing more to do. The book works in flow mode.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Passing w3c validation is meaningless. In order to ensure that your markup display well in ebook readers, you have to ensure it is reflowable. This means not using absolute sizes/positions, tables for layout and so on. If I were you I'd use the filter css conversion options to remove all width position, left, top, height etc css properties during conversion.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I've found: the problem is caused by position: relative for the div #contenuto. I removed it on line 1365 and re-converted the document, and now it looks fine.

For what I know position: relative is not discouraged by epub 2 specs.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-22-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I tried to remove a child div of #contenuto, an I can see now its sibling, but no other divs except the last one, as for the original converted doc. Indeed if you notice you can see the first and last page of the document, even if all the contents are inside #contenuto. I can't say if this is a rendering problem.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-22-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Ok, I've found it and created a very simple testcase: shortly, I think the problem is that Calibre ebook viewer calculates the width of an element summing the widths of all the pages that element spans:

PHP Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" 
                      "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"
>
<
html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr">
    <
head>
        <
title>Test</title>
        <
style type="text/css">

#container

{

width500px;

overflowhidden;
            }

#content

{

positionrelative;
            }
        </
style>
    </
head>

<
body>
        <
div id="container">
            <
div id="content">

1<br />

2<br />

3<br />

4<br />

5<br />

6<br />

7<br />

8<br />

9<br />

10<br />

11<br />

12<br />

13<br />

14<br />

15<br />

16<br />

17<br />

18<br />

19<br />

20<br />

21<br />

22<br />

23<br />

24<br />

25<br />

26<br />

27<br />

28<br />

29<br />

30<br />

31<br />

32<br />

33<br />

34<br />

35<br />

36<br />

37<br />

38<br />

39<br />

40<br />

41<br />

42<br />

43<br />

44<br />

45<br />

46<br />

47<br />

48<br />

49<br />

50<br />

51<br />

52<br />

53<br />

54<br />

55<br />

56<br />

57<br />

58<br />

59<br />

60<br />

61<br />

62<br />

63<br />

64<br />

65<br />

66<br />

67<br />

68<br />

69<br />

70<br />

71<br />

72<br />

73<br />

74<br />

75<br />

76<br />

77<br />

78<br />

79<br />

80<br />

81<br />

82<br />

83<br />

84<br />

85<br />

86<br />

87<br />

88<br />

89<br />

90<br />

91<br />

92<br />

93<br />

94<br />

95<br />

96<br />

97<br />

98<br />

99<br />

100<br />
            </
div>
        </
div>
    </
body>
</
html
To be concise, the problem rises when a #content div is the child of a #container div; #container has a not-auto width and hides overflows, while #content is relative positioned and its contents span more than one ebook page.

Notice that if you set #container width to 1000px you can see the second page but not the third, that's why I think the viewer wrongs to calculate the element width. It's not clear why this happens only when #content is relative positioned.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-23-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: back to php tags
Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As i said absolute layouts are going to cause problems, they are inherently not reflowable.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

...and as I said before and before, this is a relative positioned element, not absolute.

(Why no ones read me... Am I so boring? Next time I've to add some girl images to my posts)