Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Big devices - anything new?

hi guys,
after a long career, I fear my Kindle DX needs to be replaced (the usb connection is always more erratic...)
but after this long time with a marvelous 9.7'' screen, I dont want to even try smaller ebooks.
Looking into the "ebook reader matrix" though, I noticed that it says no large devices were released after 2011. I'm surprised ... is it true - or the matrix is not up to date???
What possibilities are out there for large e-ink devices?

thanks!
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx T68,
This has only an 8" inch screen but it's relatively inexpensive: Icarus 8
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 10-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
What about the Onyx M92?
https://onyx-boox.com/productsinfo/o...2-black-pearl/

Check out the Onyx subforum for other questions:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220

It might not be the best for your needs, but it does have a 9.7 inch screen.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Yes, the Onyx / Icarus Excel seems promising...
I also found out the surprising news that the DX is stocked again by Amazon http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/05/am...eader-for-299/
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
Yes, the Onyx / Icarus Excel seems promising...
I also found out the surprising news that the DX is stocked again by Amazon http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/05/am...eader-for-299/

It's also down to $189, I believe.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Xen
Enthusiast
Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's also down to $189, I believe.

Don
Currently showing at $239 - was it on sale for awhile or something?
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
I wish Amazon would make the DX touch and with built in light.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
Xen
Enthusiast
Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.

I'm not a fan of the lighted e-readers - too many reports of bad pixels and weird shininess. Instead I keep a penlight clipped to the spine of the leather case. I really only use it in the car at night (when someone else is driving of course). Otherwise I'm always somewhere where there is normal lighting when I want to read.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
Xen
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
This has only an 8" inch screen but it's relatively inexpensive: Icarus 8
Doesn't seem to be available in the US ...
Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I wish Amazon would make the DX touch and with built in light.

And 300 dpi while they're at it.

And, as I am dreaming anyway, exactly the same size as the current DX, so that I can re-use my Sky Dragon Oberon cover :-)

Last edited by mbovenka; 10-30-2013 at 06:28 AM.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
Currently showing at $239 - was it on sale for awhile or something?

Yes, unfortunately.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote