Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #46
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I've got the "bug light" and I'm not sure anything but an extremely sophisticated and expensive light built into the case could compete.

The reason being erm, I'll draw a (bad) picture -

The light from it is very even - except where the orange bits are, you have to position the light so that it goes all over the Cybook, but the orange bit isn't over, or it'll reflect.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 AM   #47
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nokia E63, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest the Nokia N800 or N810. See, for example, Eink Display's (Sony PRS505) vs. Nokia N800's LCD Display. However, these don't read any DRM-laden e-books. This isn't much of a problem now for LIT, or MOBI, or eReader (if you don't mind stripping the DRM), but Secure Adobe e-books are not readable on the Nokia's or on any E-Ink based reader.
When you meant stripping the DRM off eReader, did you mean Sony's ereader format or fictionwise´s (former peaunt press, palm and the other one) ereader.com format?

Thanks!
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspline View Post
When you meant stripping the DRM off eReader, did you mean Sony's ereader format or fictionwise´s (former peaunt press, palm and the other one) ereader.com format?

Thanks!
Sony does not have, and never has had, an "eReader format". The Sony Reader's native format is "BBeB". "eReader" as a book format only ever refers to the format now owned by Fictionwise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #49
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspline View Post
See eReader Decoder Tool. Note that eReader has an OSX port, and runs under Wine if you have Linux and an x86 processor. So it may have the widest device coverage of any DRM-laden format. However, it is not supported natively on any E-Ink device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony does not have, and never has had, an "eReader format". The Sony Reader's native format is "BBeB". "eReader" as a book format only ever refers to the format now owned by Fictionwise.
A little "pet peve" of yours?

Granted I wish I had known this before I bought a book from eReader.com, and when I downloaded I coudn't figure out how to choose the format. Oh well, the author sent me a Sony version so it wasn't a loss.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Nope - JSWolf's the one with a bee in his bonnet about it, not me . I only mention it when there's potential for confusion. Doesn't bother me in the least if you want to call your Sony Reader an "eReader", as long as you're aware that it's NOT the same as the "eReader" format.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #52
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Granted I wish I had known this before I bought a book from eReader.com, and when I downloaded I coudn't figure out how to choose the format. Oh well, the author sent me a Sony version so it wasn't a loss.

BOb
It used to bug me. I used to use files in that format back when it was PalmReader. Lots of people assumed PDB was a format. Once I got past that I got tired of telling people "PalmReader, formerly Peanut Press, not the same as PalmDoc." I thought the eReader name would nicely eliminate the confusion, so naturally along comes the Sony...

It wasn't the reason I switched to iSilo files, but that was a nice bonus when I switched.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
Lots of people assumed PDB was a format.
To be correct about it, PDB is a format, but it's a "container", like a ZIP file is. Just like a ZIP file it can contain absolutely anything.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #54
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To be correct about it, PDB is a format, but it's a "container", like a ZIP file is. Just like a ZIP file it can contain absolutely anything.
More accurately it is the file representation of the internal database format used in Palm memory. The Palm, initially, did not have a file system and still doesn't internally in its RAM. All databases are referenced directly. When backed-up on a PC it is stored in a file and, to aid in the loading, the file is given an extension. There is no processing as there would be in a zip file to access the data. You are seeing a straight dump of a portion of Palm memory.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #55
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now onto the topic of backlighting... backlighting eats the battery more and give less reading time. I prefer to have an external light source so my reader keeps a longer charge.
I agree. If my booklight I use for my Reader runs out of juice while I'm reading in bed, I can just grab the flashlight off of my bedside table. I don't have to plug in the whole device and wait for it to charge.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote