Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #76
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And it works with any program, because it's in the keyboard interface.
Now that's something the WritePad app can't do on the iPad. The results can be exported to Pages, for example, but I can't use the handwriting recognition while in Pages. I can email what I write directly from WritePad, however. That's a plus.

The one thing that I really like about the app as it works on the iPad (the android version doesn't have this feature last time I looked) is that you can write anywhere on the screen; you aren't confined to writing one or two words in a text box, and the words are converted to text on the fly. That's a VERY nice feature. You still have to proof read for mistakes, though.

As far as I can tell the Surface is still locked into a text box set-up when using the handwriting recognition feature, is it not?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Basically, when you select the handwriting "keyboard", you get the soft keyboard area occupying the lower half of the screen, and it has two lines to write on. You can write whatever you want on those lines, it gets automatically converted to text then, when you're happy with the result, you tap an "Insert" button to send the text to the app that's waiting for input.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-26-2013 at 03:23 PM.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
This video shows how it works:

HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #79
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
Even I have trouble reading my handwriting.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #80
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This video shows how it works:
Very similar to Samsung's hand writing, I should be able to learn that in less than an hour.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #81
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
What continues to be lacking for the RT are quality apps for things that people coming from other platforms are accustomed to.
what would those be?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #82
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
the RT (which will likely disappear when the Surface 2 is released)
32GB RT sticks around for awhile at $349 w/ Surface 2 starting at $449 and Pro2 starting at $899

Quote:
But in order to replace all that, I will need a fair amount of the available peripherals, docking station, Power Cover, Touch Cover and suddenly we are looking at close to $3000.
hmmm. a 128gb storage Pro 2 would be 1,000 + 200 for dock + 120 for touch cover and power cover hasnt been priced yet. but call it 200 to be safe. So you're at $1520 without new monitors. you could go with the 64gb model which would save you a hundred to put towards a bigger storage drive at home to leave with the dock. you get 200GB of Skydrive to use for 2 years to help extend the onboard.

i've been thinking about this set up for us here at the house. Im really tempted to go higher for the 256gb model since it comes w/ 8gb ram. We have time to save up anyway , were not going to be investing in new hardware until early next year.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #83
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
"Just think what you would have paid for a program that recognized handwriting 10 years ago."

How about 20 years ago? We obviously didn't pay enough because the Apple Newton, which started selling in 1993, was a failure. Cool, but a market disaster. And yeah, the handwriting recognition was weak.
Oh, do you mean like the Palm Pilot's "Grafiti" interface? Oh wait, that WAS 10 years ago.
wodin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #84
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
You can always try the Razer Edge pro tablet that has a dedicated graphics card, it costs more money, but it can handle adobe photoshop alot better than the Surface pro. It also runs windows 8.

You can also update this yourself, it has hard drive and memory slots you can open yourself.
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #85
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
32GB RT sticks around for awhile at $349 w/ Surface 2 starting at $449 and Pro2 starting at $899

hmmm. a 128gb storage Pro 2 would be 1,000 + 200 for dock + 120 for touch cover and power cover hasnt been priced yet. but call it 200 to be safe. So you're at $1520 without new monitors. you could go with the 64gb model which would save you a hundred to put towards a bigger storage drive at home to leave with the dock. you get 200GB of Skydrive to use for 2 years to help extend the onboard.

i've been thinking about this set up for us here at the house. Im really tempted to go higher for the 256gb model since it comes w/ 8gb ram. We have time to save up anyway , were not going to be investing in new hardware until early next year.
If I replace my other devices with a Surface Pro 2 setup I would go for the 8/512 combo, I'd want it to last for as long as possible. It's like buying beer, never go for a six pack when you can get a case.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #86
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

If you are willing to spend that much then there might be better options like my Sony Duo 13 with the pull-up screen. 2.5 pounds, 13.3" screen, battery lasts all day. Full digitizer with pen included. About $1800.- with Haswell i7, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM. They have cheaper versions with i5 processor, 128 SSD and 4 GB RAM. The screen size and keyboard are much better than the Surface Pro, I also love to use it as a tablet.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #87
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Does it have Wacom digitizer?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #88
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Does it have Wacom digitizer?
I think it is N-Trig. The only thing I don't like is that you cannot adjust the screen angle, but it really doesn't bother me much now, you could always prop it up somehow, too.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-27-2013 at 02:33 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #89
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

N-Trig is a no starter, unfortunately. It requires a powered stylus and if I am to believe the boards N-Trig is not as accurate as Wacom.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #90
WillAdams
Guru
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121
The Surface Pro uses a Wacom digitizer.

If it had a daylight viewable display, I'd replace the machine I'm writing this on.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote