Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #31
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+; Kindle for Android on HTC One SV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I suspect a lot of people would like a Surface, but relatively few will spring for one.
That's exactly the point. They way overpriced them, at least as far as I'm concerned. With lots of people out of work these days, benefits disappearing from jobs, jobs going overseas, yet the prices keep going up on all these devices. I just had to pay over $3,000 out of my pocket for back surgery because my crappy insurance wouldn't cover more.

I'm glad somebody's got lots of cash to throw away. I certainly don't.

Last edited by kevinp; 09-25-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #32
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook*, nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And damned good they are, too. Have you ever used one?
I played with one. If they were that good, they wouldn't be collecting dust in warehouses and wouldn't get discount after discount, don't you think?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
That's exactly the point. They way overpriced them, at least as far as I'm concerned. With lots of people out of work these days, benefits disappearing from jobs, jobs going overseas, yet the prices keep going up on all these devices. I just had to pay over $3,000 out of my pocket for back surgery because my crappy insurance wouldn't cover more.

They are reasonably priced compared to other devices in the "ultrabook" class (which is what they are). It's not "throwing money away" if (like me) it's a device you have a use for. Mine gets used all day, every day.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I played with one. If they were that good, they wouldn't be collecting dust in warehouses and wouldn't get discount after discount, don't you think?
Does the Surface Pro really get "discount after discount"? I haven't noticed that happening. They really are "that good" to my mind. I use mine for my job, not as a toy, every day; it's so much more convenient to use than the Dell notebook it's replaced. It's a "real" PC and can run all my desktop software.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Does the Surface Pro really get "discount after discount"? I haven't noticed that happening. They really are "that good" to my mind. I use mine for my job, not as a toy, every day; it's so much more convenient to use than the Dell notebook it's replaced. It's a "real" PC and can run all my desktop software.
Well, I admit, I'm dying for one. I have a honking big Win7 desktop, of course, and a laptop that is literally ancient (an IBM Thinkpad running XP). It must be close to 10 years old by now. But at the rate I am forced to buy other devices, for testing (Kindles, Kindle HD's, Nooks, Nook HD's, Droid tablets, iPad, you-name-it) I doubt I'll be able to spring for the Surface PRO--but I damn sure wish I could. I'd like an ultrabook-type tablet with a keyboard that is about productivity--not consuming games and apps.

I find the iPad extremely unusable for any real "work." It's fine for some games like the wordgames I favor (can't speak as to FPS or that type of thing, have never played one), and for using RSS readers, but I just find it clunky for work unless it's browsing. I think that if someone is an existing iPhone user, I can see why they would want an iPad, and of course, the fanboi factor can't be overlooked, but having used one and tried the other at some length, really...excluding the need for the iPad for (testing for) my business, if I had it to do over again, yes, I'd have bought a Pro over an iPad in a heartbeat. I think if people thought of it as an ultrabook, rather than a "tablet," it would have done far better. It's true that it's pricey, no doubt, but damn, it's just super.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #36
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
To use it as a "real" PC do you connect an external monitor? Is it possible to connect more than one?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
To use it as a "real" PC do you connect an external monitor? Is it possible to connect more than one?
When I use it at home I have it hooked up to a 21" monitor for convenience. I don't know if you could attach more than one; it has a standard mini-HDMI display port - would an HDMI splitter work, I wonder?

The "type keyboard" is excellent; just as good as my previous notebook's keyboard.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #38
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just learned that the new dock has a DisplayPort 1.2 that supports daisy chaining of monitors. I believe the dock is compatible with the original SP.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, all the new accessories are compatible with the original Surface, which is nice. The one I like is the "power keyboard", which is a full-size keyboard with a battery to extend the battery life of the Surface - that sounds useful!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #40
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I know I originally stated that I'm primarily looking for something that let's me ink in OneNote, but I can see this Surface Pro 2, with all the new peripherals actually replacing a lot of devices, that I could put on eBay to justify another splurge. I probably need to know more about the Surface Pro 2 before making the jump though. Totally we are looking at some $3000 including new external monitors, but if it is doable, then it might be worth it if I can get $2000 for my HP laptop, Envy x2 and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything you need to know that I can help with.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #42
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
Harry, my daughter needs a tablet. Yes, needs is the word. She is in college for Apparel Design and Manufacturing (a fancy label for fashion designer) and has discovered an app that lets them draw designs on their devices then email or otherwise send them elsewhere. I don't know if it is possible to just send from one device to another with the same user or if those are considered separate accounts by the app. The app is on all platforms, I already checked.

Now, my daughter is fairly technologically challenged. Her brother has to routinely confiscate her laptop to remove the crud she has gotten on there and has no idea about. She is looking at the Surface tablets but doesn't know about RT vs Pro or if she wants an android. She likes the fact that the Surface has a USB portl. Since she has an android phone I don't want to get her into the Apple ecosystem, but figure the Windows wouldn't be so bad because she uses Windows computers all the time.

Would a Surface be a good choice for her? I figured she might want to take notes with it, also, but doesn't have too many regular classes left, most are her major classes which are hands on. If a Surface would be good, which one would you suggest? I was thinking of one of the originals, but don't know enough about any of them to decide one way or the other. She only has this year and next before she graduates.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #43
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post

It's one thing to claim the RT is overpriced compared to its competition. It's quite another to claim these devices in general keep going up in price. That's ridiculous.

Do you remember the first Kindle? It listed at $400. A far superior version now costs $119. In 1999 I paid over $1700 for a midrange Pentium III desktop with 15" monitor. My RT is more capable in almost every way for 1/3 that price.

It's actually quite amazing the amount of computing power you can buy for your money these days. Hard times or not, computers are much more attainable today than ever before.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If the drawing app supports a stylus, then it sounds as if the original Surface Pro would be a very good choice - the touch screen and stylus work extremely well. It's a completely standard Windows 8 system, so if your daughter's used Windows before she'd have no problems.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #45
Teknikal
Evangelist
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Nexus-7
I've always liked the surface hardware but the whole Windows 8 tile thing just isn't for me, unless theres a good customisable start menu (not button) and an option to never have to see those tiles I just couldn't bring myself to ever consider one.

The hardware itself is very sleek though.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote