Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
paxku
paxku began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505 or ebookwise
sony prs-505 or ebookwise

Hi all!

I'm wondering which one should I buy.

As for the format-conversion thing, I'm not that concerned, 'cause I'm quite used to computers (programming, networking,...), but I have some concerns:

I know about the price difference (250€ vs 100€, 'cause I live in Europe), but I'm more concerned about the size, the eye-stress, and weight.

I've looked around a lot, but I can't get to see a side-to-side photo with the prs-505 and the ebookwise. So, can somebody post a photo comparison?

How about the weight?

Also, I spend most of the time working on a monitor, and I'd like to save eye-stress when reading books. Will the ebookwise's resolution and backlight be stressfull for my eyes?

Also, I use windows, osx and linux. As I read, the prs-505 will be always identified as a mass storage devide (on any operating system). Is this so? Will the ebookwise also be detected as a mass storage device, or will I be tied up with it's Librarian?

thanks in advance
paxku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
I am kicking myself that I never took pictures of the two together when I had my Sony, but I had the earlier version (the 500), so it may not have been useful in any case. I have since given up the Sony, so the opportunity has passed.

The fact that I gave up one shows my own opinion, and it came down to a few specific features:
  • Built-in lighting - I read while I travel and on my daily commute. I cannot count on good lighting, and I prefer not to carry around add-ons, such as a clip-on light. Based the forum, most people do not have this problem.
  • Comfortable use - While much thinner and lighter (also an advantage on the commute), the Sony was not as comfortable to hold for me, particularly if I needed to switch hands, as reading position can be an issue on the train or bus. The thicker side ('grip' I call it) of the eBookwise is very comfortable. Again, for many this is a non-issue.
  • Bookstore support - Fictionwise offers unsecured books in native format for both readers. If you want DRMed books, you have to use Connect for the Sony or eBookwise for their unit. eBookwise had lower prices for the books I wanted (read bothered) to compare. I also found it easier to use. Your mileage may vary. In particular, if you are looking for support from free sites, the Sony format is much more popular, but since you are not worried about conversions, that may not be an issue.

As to your other questions, removing the SMC and using a media reader does free you up somewhat from the Librarian, but the SMC media feels rather delicate, and I felt much better leaving it in the machine and using the librarian. It is an extra hurdle. BTW, my main machine is a Mac, and I use ETI's OSX software regularly, also. The software is very good, and I have converted lots of webfiction and other freely available stories. These days, USB through my MacBook is the main way the eBookwise gets content.

I do not have a problem reading for long periods of time on the eBookwise screen, which is why the comfort of the grip is important. I may not be a good measure of that however, as I also don't have trouble with other backlit LCDs which cause problems for lots of the eInk fans. Given my astigmatism and other eye probs, I am surprised, but quite thankful, it is not an issue.

As I said, it came down to mainly those feature that made up my mind. The eInk screens are MUCH better looking, but that was just not enough for me to walk away from the other things I needed in an ebook reader.

Good luck with your selection.

Jack

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 05-15-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert