Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
twentw
twentw began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
What does location sync do?

Can someone explain what location sync does? I can't seem to find an explanation anywhere.
twentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
After reading on one device, it takes you to where you left off on another device. So you can switch back and forth between devices and always pick up your place.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
vikarti
Enthusiast
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Primary: iPadMiniRetina+Marvin. Secondary: Kindle & Bookmate
http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/61407...ion-sync-works
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Suzibingo
Suzibingo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Location sync isn't getting me anywhere near where I left off on my device. If I read on my iPad, press sync when I'm done, pick up my iPod later to read, it will put me back a few chapters and not close to my current reading location. Dropbox is enabled on both devices. Any suggestions?
Suzibingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 2, iPad 3&1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
Question

A few chapters back? That definitely should not be occurring. Imprecision has in some cases been observed in the range of several page flips, at most (discussed here), but location sync should definitely put you in the same chapter, because that's how it's designed to work.

I suggest that you do not sync your location by manually pressing the sync button (because that can cause confusion: see here).

Please try syncing your position on the 1st device simply by backgrounding Marvin (by returning to your device's home screen). Then, pick up your 2nd device, press the sync button and perform the sync. I believe you should get a much better result. Please allow a couple of minutes to pass (at least initially for the first test, to make sure) before picking up the 2nd device.

Last edited by Faterson; 09-19-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Suzibingo

I tried your suggestion and backgrounded Marvin but when I tried to sync to my other device, it told me I was already at the farthest location in the book. I also backed out of the book and went to the library, waited 15 minutes before trying to sync on my other device but received the same message. Anything else to try?
Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Oh, it's not necessary to wait for 15 minutes. I think 2 or 3 minutes, at most, should be enough. Normally, seconds should be enough, if you're on a WiFi network. You could open a desktop computer/notebook of yours and as soon as you see the sync file arrive in Dropbox there, you can try opening the book on the 2nd device. (Which reminds me of another feature request.)

Please, make another sync test, but before you do so, go to your 2nd device and flip to the beginning of the book. That way, you will be certain to avoid that "You are already at the furthest location" message there -- if syncing is working for you at all. I think you may have been in the correct place from your previous sync attempts, which is why the test failed to show if sync is working for you or not.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
vikarti
Enthusiast
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Primary: iPadMiniRetina+Marvin. Secondary: Kindle & Bookmate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
A few chapters back? That definitely should not be occurring. Imprecision has in some cases been observed in the range of several page flips, at most (discussed here), but location sync should definitely put you in the same chapter, because that's how it's designed to work.
One possible issue here is that Chapter-as-user-see ('Chapter 1' in text) is not same as Marvin sees.
You could try to get big text from somewhere, make epub out of it using Apple Pages and you will see 'chapters' of hundeds of Kbs. If THIS is a problem here, which is unlikely,epub-epub conversion in calibre with split section set to lower number could help.
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #9
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Even under that scenario of abnormally long sections, the sync putting the reader "a few chapters back" would be very unexpected. (Unless the individual chapters were extremely brief, like a couple of pages per chapter.)
Old 09-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #10
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gerty and Marvin for iOS
@Suzibingo, is it possible that when you finished reading (you closed the book or put your device to sleep) you weren't connected to the internet?
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Suzibingo

I was on chapter 12 on my first device. I just tried Faterson's suggestion of moving the second device to the beginning of the book. I backgrounded Marvin, watched Dropbox for the sync record, and when i synced on my second device, it took me to chapter 11. Better!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

With most books in Marvin, a section = a chapter, and Marvin uses chapters/sections as the basic unit when attempting to synchronise... So it practically always gets the chapter right, at the very least.

Looks like vikarti was correct and that the structure of your particular e-book is non-standard, in that a single section of your book contains several chapters, making it all the more difficult for Marvin to synchronise locations precisely.

Generally, the longer a section/chapter is, the harder it will be for Marvin to synchronise locations precisely. A number of possible improvement suggestions, including ADE-style pages (in background), have been discussed in the GitHub threads referred to above; I'm sure Kris will come up with something to increase the precision.

Last edited by Faterson; 09-20-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
Suzibingo

Thanks for your help, Faterson! I'm just happy to have the app available for my iPod. :-)
Old 09-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Actually one way to sync is to remember the filename (usually a chapter) and then the bytecount to the top of the page as displayed. This should get you to the correct place always.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #15
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually one way to sync is to remember the filename (usually a chapter) and then the bytecount to the top of the page as displayed.
The trouble is when that file is extremely long, like dozens of iPad screens long. Unfortunately, there are many mangled e-books like that out there.

Marvin currently uses filename+percentage inside the file, which should be pretty much the same as byte-count. For brief or moderately long chapters (sections = files), the sync results seem to be pretty precise. It's those extra-large sections=files that are troublesome; they may contain several chapters per section/file... It's a mistake on the part of the e-book publisher, but regular Marvin users will be unable to fix it manually.