Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Droid Bionic, 1st Gen Kindle Fire. All Sony's Retired
When was the last time you bought an honest to God newspaper?

My wife and I have gotten out of the habit. I'd like to say it was some big philosophical reason for the betterment of all mankind, but the real reason was that in an age of recycling, dealing with yesterday's news, and the paper it came on, was a major PITA. It was SO much easier to buy when you knew you could just throw it away!

At any rate, in spite of our status as late middle-aged fuddy duddies (late 50's early 60's), we had grown quite used to getting our news over the internet either on our tablets, phones, or PC.

However, for some reason, my wife, bought the Sunday Paper yesterday. For old times sake, I guess.

One positive aspect was that we had a better idea of what is going on in the local community. The internet makes us global citizens, but it sort of strips us of our local interests. The local newspaper has a web site, but frankly, we never look at it, and I'm disinclined to pay for an online subscription. I like knowing the local Kiwanis chapter is having a fish fry next week, but I'm not willing to pay for that information.

But overall, I'd say the process was sort of unpleasant. The paper was physically smaller than I remember, maybe 8 - 10 inches from edge to fold and maybe 18 - 22 inches tall. It was not optimal for reading at all. (When I read papers regularly, I was a 'folder'). The page was too tall for the width and it was hard to hold.

The paper felt physically 'dirty' to me. The ink and paper dust coated my hands and I couldn't wait to wash them.

And the sheer NUMBER of advertising inserts was overwhelming! And some advertisers had the same ad insert included twice. My wife said she enjoyed clipping grocery coupons though, and missed that from when the kids were growing up.

Will we likely buy a newspaper today? Definitely not. Would we buy a Sunday newspaper next week? Probably not. And I've still got to get rid yesterday's newspaper.

Have you bought a newspaper lately?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
We get a free local council area newspaper in the letterbox once a week, and I read that most of the time, for local news.

Can't remember the last time I personally bought a newspaper. My partner will occasionally buy one. I'm deeply unimpressed by both Murdoch and Fairfax.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I bought my last newspaper long before I before the internet became my personal news-appliance.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I was scammed into buying a [physical] newspaper last year. In my European country they constantly run adds in TV, radio and elsewhere that "if you want to have complete information about [insert some topic, like what kind of card (debit vs credit) you should take abroad to pay with here] you should buy this and this paper on Thursday".

Well, I bought the paper and instead of complete and comprehensive info there was a bit of this and a bit of that - incoherent jumble of badly written bits and pieces I could cobble together after a 5 minutes browsing session. I felt ... cheated.

Occasionally I have an opportunity to have a brief look at a newspaper that somebody else paid for, and mostly it is an old info. Something I saw on the net a few days (or even weeks) ago.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, KT, PB701/IQ, K2, PB360, BeBook One, Axim51v, TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I bought my last newspaper long before I before the internet became my personal news-appliance.
Same here.
Delivery became spotty and a morning daily that arrived after I left for work wasn't very useful to me so I cancelled. (That was way back when CNN Headline News was watchable and ran in 30-minute cycles.)

Nowadays that is a moot point as the local "daily" only comes out 3 times a week.
fjtorres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 950, 350s, N7, &...
I have the NY Times and a local paper delivered daily.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Even before the news was readily available on the internet, I always hated the form factor of the newspaper. Too big, unwieldy, rustle-y, a struggle to fold it the way you want it to, ink on your fingers. And then there's all that PAPER filling up your apartment afterward. No thanks. Sometimes when my daughter is doing crafts, I wish I had some newspaper to line the table with. That's about all I miss.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
We bought one yesterday but only because we needed the comic section to use as wrapping paper for a present for a small child.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
silverraven
Fanatic
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wall Street Journal every day here, and a gift subscription for my father. Plus I think dad gets his local paper too, not sure.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I too get the free locals in my mail box on a weekly basis. I never read them, but they do come in handy in the winter, for lighting up in the fireplace.

The last time I bought one for the purpose of reading its news contents was maybe eight or nine years ago. The only time I pick one up now is when I'm travelling, to see what's happening culture-wise.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
library addict
Wizard
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini, Nexus 7 2
I have the local paper delivered daily. But only because it was one of those deals where you get it every day for less than the cost of just the Sunday edition.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1 & Samsung Galaxy 5 media player
I get the Sunday local paper for the coupons, flyers and most valuable...the Sunday Funnies...
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
No matter where I am I subscribe to the local paper. Of course I have the good sense to avoid living in overcrowded cities so CNN never carries my town's local news. I suppose I could freeload by reading the local paper's website but that's cheating IMO. If you want something, pay for it.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
We find our free town newspaper delivered to our driveway every morning. It's a very small paper, and to be honest we rarely do more than take it out of the plastic sleeve and through it in the recycle box.

Hubby however, subscribed years ago to the only large newspaper in the area still in business for the Sunday edition only. It weighs about 5 pounds exclusive of the 2 pounds of sales circulars neatly sealed in plastic within. Hubby doesn't usually read that much of it, but he doesn't want to cancel the subscription either.

I listen to news radio all day at work, watch hours of the evening and nightly news every day and read some news online, so I only browse the paper as a supplemental source (and still don't know what's going on in the world - go figure).
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
teh603
Snarky Snark
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF300
We still take the Chronicle, and when we're out of town we usually get a local snoozepaper as well. Stuff in the small towns rarely makes the TV or internet news.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote