Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to the new Kindle Paperwhite 2.
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Paperwhite 1 60 28.71%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Touch 10 4.78%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 4 (non-touch) 9 4.31%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 3 (non-touch) 19 9.09%
Yes, upgrading from older unlisted Kindle 2 0.96%
Yes, upgrading from a non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, not enough improvements over Kindle Paperwhite 1 57 27.27%
No, not enough improvements over my non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, just not interested in the Paperwhite 2 7 3.35%
No, dammit I still want my turn buttons back! 8 3.83%
Ordered but might return, I want to see if it is worth keeping 3 1.44%
Ordered but might return, depends on screen lighting improvements 8 3.83%
Undecided on whether to order 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Are You Upgrading to Paperwhite 2 (Sept Poll)

Now that the Kindle Paperwhite has been officially introduced for pre-order, here is an updated and current poll to see if you are updating to the new Kindle Paperwhite 2 or whether you have ordered but are undecided if you will keep it.

Note: You can select multiple items in this poll. Please read all items and select the best one(s) for you.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-08-2013 at 01:10 PM.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm not upgrading.

IF I'm going to get another reader (BIG if) somewhere down the line, then it'd probably be the Kobo Aura. I've been reading around, and there seems to be a KEPUB output possibility for Calibre. In short, as long as Calibre can convert my EPUB's to the reader's format, I don't really mind which format is native to the device, be it AZW3, EPUB or KEPUB.

The Kobo Aura is a much bigger upgrade to the KPW1 than the KPW2 because of the many font customizations. (I hope they fixed the bug in which sometimes half a page would be white, for some reason.)

Even if I get another reader, I'll probably keep the KPW1, as the USE_ALT_FONTS "hack" together with my own custom Deja Vu Serif makes it a nice reader to read on. (And it sees the page counts put in by "Count Pages" in Calibre, something of which I am not sure that the Kobo can do.)

As for now, I've decided to stick with the KPW1, and try a snap-in cover from GoogleProduct. (My cover if fine, but as it's a slot-in cover, the reader is always askew.) See what I like best in the end.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
krazy4katz
Groupie
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1 and Kindle 3 (KK)
I will get the paperwhite sometime, but my Kindle Keyboard is still going strong, so the choice is between waiting until the KK starts showing signs of age or buying an new and improved toy just for fun. I just don't know...
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
I almost bit when the original PW came out last year, but I was scared off by the display problems I read about here. I'm optimistic that the display problems have been sufficiently addressed by now, and looking at the list of incremental hardware and software improvements compared to v1, well, it was hard impossible to say no. Got one for my better half too.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, KTSO, KFHD7, KPW1
I will purchase the new KP2, since I never got a really good screen after my series of exchanges (just a less colorful one).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I will get the paperwhite sometime, but my Kindle Keyboard is still going strong, so the choice is between waiting until the KK starts showing signs of age or buying an new and improved toy just for fun. I just don't know...
I have a Kindle Keyboard as well. I'm hoping that Santa will bring me a new PW for Christmas.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, K3 WiFi 3G
I only want a org PW so once the new PW comes out I be shopping ads LOL IS this an Upgrade hehehe
Katie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I only want a org PW so once the new PW comes out I be shopping ads LOL IS this an Upgrade hehehe
Good idea! Be sure to watch the Flea Market forum here on MR.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, K3 WiFi 3G
Thanks for that reminder!
Katie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
barryem
Connoisseur
barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.barryem seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Touch (Paperwhite on order)
I have 2 Paperwhites, a 3G one and a Wifi one, as well as a Kindle Basic I use to loan books to friends and family. I've been wishing I had 2 3G Paperwhites and when the new one is available in 3G I'll probably get one and get rid of the Basic and use the Wifi Paperwhite for loaning books.

So I guess that's upgrading to 3G more than to the new one. I probably would have done this already if I hadn't known there were new ones coming soon.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
DreamWriter
Wizard
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I'll buy a PW2 as soon as my Kindle Keyboard stops working. It'd be nice to have the integrated light!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Yep I am getting one! I am waiting to see if Amazon has another voucher for covers on sale then I will order. Last time I got 30% off the cover and that push me to get the PW1 and it was the best thing I have bought in a long time. Almost perfect so I expect PW2 to be even better!
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, KTSO, KFHD7, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yep I am getting one! I am waiting to see if Amazon has another voucher for covers on sale then I will order. Last time I got 30% off the cover and that push me to get the PW1 and it was the best thing I have bought in a long time. Almost perfect so I expect PW2 to be even better!
The dimensions are the same for PW1 and PW2, so you can use the same cover if you like.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The dimensions are the same for PW1 and PW2, so you can use the same cover if you like.
There is no way I can get my PW1 out of its cover but seeing I am keeping both I will need a new one anyway.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I'll buy a PW2 as soon as my Kindle Keyboard stops working. It'd be nice to have the integrated light!
LOL. See you back in 2041.

I have a feeling that an ereader is a bit like a calculator: if you treat it well, it'll keep going forever.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote