Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your preferred ereader app?
Bluefire 4 5.48%
iBooks 12 16.44%
Marvin 33 45.21%
Kindle for iOS 14 19.18%
Other 10 13.70%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #31
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 2, iPad 3&1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Oh, so Marvin supports DRM now? I've been a little out of touch but I thought it didn't.
It doesn't, FlorenceArt; I was merely illustrating the foolishness of the way in which iBooks employs annotations. How Apple is not embarrassed by this, I really don't understand; same goes for the half-defunct iOS dictionaries. You first impose DRM on your paying customers, and then reward them by blocking them from exporting freaking highlights?

But even when it comes to exporting highlights from non-DRM-protected books, Marvin is vastly superior over iBooks. Plomping all the annotations into the body of an email message is as crude as it can get -- but I always expect iBooks (and Kindle) to be crude, and they never disappoint.

Marvin's export of highlights & notes in the standard HTML and XLS formats is the professional way to do it; the same goes for the phenomenally useful internal MRV file, allowing you to export / back up / restore / merge / share your annotations with the touch of a button.

Last edited by Faterson; 09-29-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #32
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 6 Plus
OK, so iBooks can open (some) DRM ebooks but won't export the text with annotations. While Marvin can't open them at all. Clearly that shows how superior Marvin is
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #33
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 2, iPad 3&1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
Lightbulb

Yes, to me it does, FlorenceArt. As you surely realise, you can also purchase a book and read it in Marvin; it will just no longer be DRM-protected at that point. The reading experience offered by iBooks is abysmal, and I wouldn't be willing to put up with it even if I was purchasing books from Apple (but I use other online stores).

You might find it interesting to look at the following thread in Marvin's GitHub:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/159
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #34
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
OK, so iBooks can open (some) DRM ebooks but won't export the text with annotations. While Marvin can't open them at all. Clearly that shows how superior Marvin is
Sarcasm aside, support for DRM (Apple's or Adobe's) does not make a piece of software superior.

In my humble opinion, Adobe, Kindle and iBooks are mediocre (at best) pieces of software. Each support their own DRM scheme.

I have been burned multiple times by DRM vendors discontinuing their services, so no thanks.

I am a self confessed criminal, I will continue to remove DRM from books I buy, (I do not accept the so called license book sellers foist on me).

So, from my simple point of view, Marvin is the BEST reader app ever, on any platform.

Cheers,

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #35
Clarkster
Clarkster began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxyn83 View Post
Stanza (now on ios7) - its still the best app for me. I've bought other apps like shubooks and megareader but I keep going back to stanza for it's easy transfer of books from calibre to stanza with metadata included. Unfortunately, the upgrade has lost its dictionary function so might look for another app soon. For now, still loving stanza!

I second this recommendation -- love the ease of integrating/downloading with calibre.

Hate that it was no longer available, from iTunes, when I got my iPhone 5S :-(
Clarkster is offline   Reply With Quote