Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
magneto_ms
magneto_ms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura
Which is the best ePub Reader app?

Guys,

We create image heavy ebooks that need to use fixed layout designs. I would like to get you thoughts on the ebook reader to recommend to our readers. From experience we see that only very few apps support fixed layout ones. Aldiko, a very popular reader does not support it. Kobo readers has proved the best so far.

Any suggestions?
magneto_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Image heavy, fixed layout sounds like a job for PDF or some other format not intended to reflow.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are very few readers supporting fixed format and almost each of those readers supports a different fixed format standard.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto_ms View Post
Guys,

We create image heavy ebooks that need to use fixed layout designs. I would like to get you thoughts on the ebook reader to recommend to our readers. From experience we see that only very few apps support fixed layout ones. Aldiko, a very popular reader does not support it. Kobo readers has proved the best so far.

Any suggestions?
You mean reading APPS? Over devices? Then it's likely that the Koboreader is your best bet, but an iPad with iBooks is likely going to make them happiest, in terms of what they see/feel/experience. Although Kobo uses a format for FF ePUBs cobbled (to put it politely) from iBooks, it's not going to be QUITE the same. I don't know of any other desktop viewer that supports fixed-format, for previewing. Certainly Nook does not--you can't even load and preview a NookKids' book on the NookKids' reader, which is amazingly short-sighted to me.

I once had to buy, register, and ship a NookColor to a client in Australia, so he could see the 24 books we were making for him for NookKids'. It's possible that someone else knows of a reading app, but...I assume you're trying to preview iBooks FF books, with a client that doesn't have an iPad? Is that the issue? I mean, if that's not what you're doing, for which platform are you making this? Only Kobo and iBooks have readers that support FF ePUBS, so... ???

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Lancelot
Enthusiast
Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I would second iBooks as well for best fixed format support. PDF is a great solution but these days everyone thinks fixed ePub 3 is the only solution moving forward...and yet not a single device on the market fully supports epub 3 specs. IMHO, the publishers and IDPF pushing for epub3 has their own business motivations and not because they are working in reader's best interests.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert