Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,653
Karma: 1137414
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Calibre Companion V3.1.1 released

CC V3.1.1 has been released and should start appearing as an update soon.

This release:
  • fixes the comments font size problems discussed in this thread.
  • adds an option to revert to the old display where structural HTML (center, justify, font changes) were ignored.
  • fixes an uncommon crash returning from book details
  • improves performance returning from book details
Please comment or report problems with this release on this thread or by making a new thread.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,861
Karma: 12755553
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The two fixes for the HTML problems, respecting the system font size and the preference to turn off full html, have been released. See Calibre Companion V3.1.1 released
The handling of the large and huge fonts worked out great.

I was wondering if there is any wiggle room on the book details page to halve the gap between the colon in Comments: and the actual comments, see attached for how the gap looks on my device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-08-05-14-43.png
Views:	372
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	110568  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-08-2013 at 05:51 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,653
Karma: 1137414
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The handling of the large and huge fonts worked out great. I was wondering if there is any wiggle room on the book details page to halve the gap between the colon in Comments: and the actual comments, see attached for how the gap looks on my device.
The details are rendered in a table. The first column has the width
Code:
minimum of (some label width, maximum allowable space)
There is probably some other label that is using the max allowable space, pushing over the second column.

The change in behavior you see fixes a problem we were having where with larger font sizes even the smallest labels couldn't fit. The words were getting broken part-way through, such as in
COMM
ENTS
.
The maximum allowable space is now scaled by font size to prevent wrapping of single words, ensuring that the same minimum number of characters can fit in the column regardless of font size. The actual space used is controlled by the widest label on the screen. You should be able to verify this by rotating to landscape and seeing that the first column doesn't change size. All the additional space is given to the second column.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,861
Karma: 12755553
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The actual space used is controlled by the widest label on the screen.
Makes absolute sense.

Additional question, could you investigate why the last item in my book details page covers half of my next to last item, see attached. Readability is covering most of Read?. This isn't new, it has been that way forever I just never mentioned it before.

Thanks for this update. Well done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-08-05-24-33.png
Views:	323
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	110571  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-08-2013 at 05:54 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,653
Karma: 1137414
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Additional question, could you investigate why the last item in my book details page covers half of my next to last item, see attached. Readability is covering most of Read?. This isn't new, it has been that way forever I just never mentioned it before.
This is yet another side effect of changing the system font size. CC sets the height of the row to be the height of the check mark, which is too small when large fonts are being used. It should set the height to the maximum of the label or check mark heights.

I fixed it. The change will appear when CC is released again.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,653
Karma: 1137414
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I was wondering if there is any wiggle room on the book details page to halve the gap between the colon in Comments: and the actual comments, see attached for how the gap looks on my device.
I found a contributing factor. The space consumed for the label is set to the maximum if any label word wraps, such as "Added to calibre". This leaves a lot of extra space even if no other label wants to use it.

I changed the "Added to" label, word wrapping it by hand between "to" and "calibre". The space used by the label column collapsed back to the longest other label. Of course, if there are any custom column labels that word wrap, the maximum space will be consumed again because of them.

This change will be in the next release.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,861
Karma: 12755553
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Excellent.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
Purple Lady
Wizard
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Purple Lady's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,459
Karma: 3612376
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Device: Nexus 7 LTE, Nexus 7 3g, Sony PRS-950, K3 3G, Nexus 5, Boyue T62
I can't see any books when I connect to the content server thru CC. I know it works because I can connect on my tablet using Opera browser and see all my books. In CC it just shows "No items to display." If I look at Authors, it does show that I have 23 items beginning with "A" so I know it is connecting, but I get "No items to display" if I select "A". This is happening on both my phone with the latest CC 3.1.1 and on my tablet with 3.0.5.

I was able to connect to the content server this morning, and all I did in the meantime was change the name of one of my custom columns in Calibre. I did that so that the name is shortened in the book details section in CC and I will get more room for data in the second column. The custom column name in book details also didn't change after connecting wirelessly, but I do see the new name on newly downloaded books. I am still on Calibre 0.9.36.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #9
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,653
Karma: 1137414
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I can't see any books when I connect to the content server thru CC. I know it works because I can connect on my tablet using Opera browser and see all my books. In CC it just shows "No items to display." If I look at Authors, it does show that I have 23 items beginning with "A" so I know it is connecting, but I get "No items to display" if I select "A". This is happening on both my phone with the latest CC 3.1.1 and on my tablet with 3.0.5.

I was able to connect to the content server this morning, and all I did in the meantime was change the name of one of my custom columns in Calibre. I did that so that the name is shortened in the book details section in CC and I will get more room for data in the second column. The custom column name in book details also didn't change after connecting wirelessly, but I do see the new name on newly downloaded books. I am still on Calibre 0.9.36.
It sounds like the content server is failing to serve the individual books page. Please give me both a calibre and CC debug log so I can (try to) find out why. You can send them to calbugs at charles dot haleys dot org.

If you change the name back, does it work?

All the books didn't update when you changed the column name because calibre doesn't think that a change to the column name is a change to the book. I need to think about whether this is as it should be, because it also means that the metadata.opf backup files will not be changed. As a work around, click the down arrow on the library button, Library Maintenance, Library metadata backup status, then push the Queue all books for backup. This will force all books in your library to appear to be updated and therefore transferred to CC when you connect as a wireless device. I don't remember if books will all transfer before the backup is complete.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Purple Lady
Wizard
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Purple Lady's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,459
Karma: 3612376
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Device: Nexus 7 LTE, Nexus 7 3g, Sony PRS-950, K3 3G, Nexus 5, Boyue T62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It sounds like the content server is failing to serve the individual books page. Please give me both a calibre and CC debug log so I can (try to) find out why. You can send them to calbugs at charles dot haleys dot org.

If you change the name back, does it work?

All the books didn't update when you changed the column name because calibre doesn't think that a change to the column name is a change to the book. I need to think about whether this is as it should be, because it also means that the metadata.opf backup files will not be changed. As a work around, click the down arrow on the library button, Library Maintenance, Library metadata backup status, then push the Queue all books for backup. This will force all books in your library to appear to be updated and therefore transferred to CC when you connect as a wireless device. I don't remember if books will all transfer before the backup is complete.
I just sent you the debug logs and then I just tried to change the column name back. I now see all books on the content server using CC on both my phone and on my tablet.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,653
Karma: 1137414
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I just sent you the debug logs and then I just tried to change the column name back. I now see all books on the content server using CC on both my phone and on my tablet.
Thanks.

The CC debug log showed that calibre did not send the info for the bottom category (an author?). This says clearly that the problem is on the calibre side. Unfortunately, the calibre debug log doesn't contain content server information. That info is in a different set of logs. My apologies -- I forgot.

Could you send me the logs that you see by going to Preferences -> Sharing over the net and clicking the "Show server logs" button? Please send both logs.

And to be precise, it now works where the only thing you did was to change the column title (not the lookup key) back to what it was, then restart calibre? Did the title that didn't work have any unusual characters in it, for example a '&'?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Purple Lady
Wizard
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Purple Lady's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,459
Karma: 3612376
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Device: Nexus 7 LTE, Nexus 7 3g, Sony PRS-950, K3 3G, Nexus 5, Boyue T62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks.

The CC debug log showed that calibre did not send the info for the bottom category (an author?). This says clearly that the problem is on the calibre side. Unfortunately, the calibre debug log doesn't contain content server information. That info is in a different set of logs. My apologies -- I forgot.

Could you send me the logs that you see by going to Preferences -> Sharing over the net and clicking the "Show server logs" button? Please send both logs.

And to be precise, it now works where the only thing you did was to change the column title (not the lookup key) back to what it was, then restart calibre? Did the title that didn't work have any unusual characters in it, for example a '&'?
I will send the logs tonight after I get home from work.

I changed both the column title and the lookup key - I like to keep the names the same. What does CC use for the display in the book details? I can try changing just that one.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,653
Karma: 1137414
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I changed both the column title and the lookup key - I like to keep the names the same. What does CC use for the display in the book details? I can try changing just that one.
It uses the column title for the label in book details.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #14
Seraphine
Enthusiast
Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Seraphine can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
Posts: 26
Karma: 183206
Join Date: Sep 2013
Device: Asus Nexus 7 II
Hi chaley. This is an excellent app and I use it religiously; thank you for providing it at such a low cost. I've been wondering for a little while as to whether there are any plans to integrate an ability to 'see' books inside their separate Calibre libraries within CC, and if this is even at all possible (given that programming isn't my area of expertise!).

I have three separate libraries within Calibre, and though re-tagging my books in Calibre itself is an acceptable solution for CC management, it's not as suitable as being able to switch between libraries. As I said, I don't know if this is even possible given the limitations of programming languages - but if it is, would there be a possibility of it happening in a future update?
Seraphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #15
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,653
Karma: 1137414
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
Hi chaley. This is an excellent app and I use it religiously; thank you for providing it at such a low cost. I've been wondering for a little while as to whether there are any plans to integrate an ability to 'see' books inside their separate Calibre libraries within CC, and if this is even at all possible (given that programming isn't my area of expertise!).

I have three separate libraries within Calibre, and though re-tagging my books in Calibre itself is an acceptable solution for CC management, it's not as suitable as being able to switch between libraries. As I said, I don't know if this is even possible given the limitations of programming languages - but if it is, would there be a possibility of it happening in a future update?
Thanks for the kind words.

Reimplementing calibre's virtual libraries in CC isn't practical because VLs depend on calibre's much more powerful search engine. That said, you can get most of the way there. The FAQ answer How do I see/use my calibre virtual libraries in CC?.

The method described in the FAQ answer work because CC's searches act a lot like calibre's VLs. When you do a search in CC, all the books that do not match are removed from the grouping results, along with their categories. For example, if you have a tag "Foo" and long-press that tag in grouping to search on it, you will no longer see in grouping authors of books that do not have that tag.

What you can't get from CC that calibre has is searching on the VL. Calibre has multiple levels of search, while CC has only one.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calibre Companion 3 beta for Android released chaley Calibre Companion 147 09-06-2013 10:25 AM
Calibre Companion 3 final released (Android) Alexander Turcic News 1 08-20-2013 08:15 AM
Do I need to run Calibre content server to use Calibre Companion flyash Calibre 2 04-06-2013 10:19 PM
calibre companion on Galaxy Tab2 no connection with calibre Schwarzenegger1 Calibre Companion 6 02-27-2013 03:44 AM
Calibre (or Calibre Companion) For Fetching News Directly Onto Android Tablets? mojumoka Devices 2 12-11-2012 12:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.