Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7(2013)
Cannot add epub from Glo to Calibre.

My desktop and laptop computers are both running the same version of Windows 7, the same version of Caibre and the Kobo plugins. I usually use my laptop computer for Calibre and adding and editing epubs to my Kobo Glo. At the moment my sister has borrowed my laptop, so I deceided to add some epubs from my Glo into Calibre on my desktop computer. Opened up Calibre on my desktop computer with Glo connected. Chose the books in Glo and used the "add to library" option and Caibre went through its normal process

Partial success, some epubs transferred over and showed up in library on Calibre others did not. All are epubs with non-DRM. Interesting one that failed to transfer was the epub of Calibre Quick Start Guide They all showed up in the Calibre library, but with blank covers, titles containing what appears to be random letters and/or numbers and a file size showing as <0.1.

I have tried deleting Calibre and the Kobo plugins and re-installing and trying the process again. Same result.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the failure? Look forward to reading replies and thanks in advance.
mahal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It has been a while since I tried adding a book to the library from my Glo. I just tried it and there were no problems. Selecting any epub on the device and adding it worked with no problems. Attempting to add a kepub didn't work, but it displayed the expected message as these cannot be added.

But, when I tried a book sent to the Glo using the KoboTouchExtended driver, it didn't work. I saw what you described. I also happened to be running in debug mode and saw errors in the console. It looks like only part of the file is copied back to the library. I don't know whether this is caused by the extended driver or something else. I'll have a look what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Thanks, I can understand why a kepub would not work. Why would the epub of Calibre Quick Start Guide not work though? It is the epub I downloaded from the Calibre website.
I will try again and use the debug mode and see if the log offers any clues.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Can you post your debug log here when you're done? Make sure to put it in a CODE block, maybe a SPOILER too if it's really long
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
mahal48
Connoisseur

debug log

OK here is the debug log for when I have tried to add the Calibre Quick Start Guide from Glo to library.

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre Debug log
calibre 1.0  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
DEBUG:    0.0 No Kobo Touch, Glo or Mini appears to be connected
Started up in 8.52 seconds with 5 books
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:books - oncard='None'
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:books - oncard='None', prefix='G:\'
DEBUG:    0.0 Kobo device: Kobo Glo
DEBUG:    0.0 Version of driver: (2, 2, 6) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG:    0.0 Version of firmware: (2, 8, 1) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:books - opts.extra_customization= [u'', False, True, True, False, True, False, False, False, False, False, False, u'', True, False, False, False, False, False, False, u'']
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:books - prefs['manage_device_metadata']= manual
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:books - set_debugging_title to ''
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:books - length bl=0
DEBUG:    0.1 KoboTouch:books - length bl after sync=9
DEBUG:    0.1 KoboTouch:books - reading device database
DEBUG:    0.1 Database Version=79
DEBUG:    0.1 KoboTouch:books - shelf list: []
DEBUG:    0.1 KoboTouch:books - query= SELECT Title, Attribution, DateCreated, ContentID, MimeType, ContentType, ImageID, ReadStatus, ___ExpirationStatus, FavouritesIndex, Accessibility, IsDownloaded, Series, SeriesNumber, ___UserID, ExternalId FROM content  where BookID is Null  and ((Accessibility = -1 and IsDownloaded in ('true', 1 )) or (Accessibility in (1,2) and IsDownloaded in ('true', 1))       ) and not ((___ExpirationStatus=3 or ___ExpirationStatus is Null) and ContentType = 6) AND (externalId IS NULL OR externalId = '') AND contentId NOT LIKE 'file:///mnt/sd/%'
DEBUG:    0.1 KoboTouch:books - looping on database - row=0
DEBUG:    0.1 KoboTouch:books - title='' authors= Kobo Inc.
DEBUG:    0.1 KoboTouch:books - row= (u'', u'Kobo Inc.', None, u'file:///usr/local/Kobo/help/09UserGuide-Contacting_FNAC.kepub.epub', u'application/x-kobo-epub+zip', u'6', None, 0, 0, -1, 1, 1, None, None, u'', None)
DEBUG:    0.3 KoboTouch:books - about to sync_booklists
DEBUG:    0.3 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
DEBUG:    0.6 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG:    0.6 KoboTouch:books - have done sync_booklists
DEBUG:    0.6 KoboTouch:books - end - oncard='None'
DEBUG:    0.6 KoboTouch:books - oncard='carda'
DEBUG:    0.6 KoboTouch:books - Asked to process 'carda', but do not have one!
DEBUG:    0.6 KoboTouch:books - oncard='cardb'
DEBUG:    0.6 KoboTouch:books - Asked to process 'cardb', but do not have one!
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
Job: 3 Prepare files for transfer from device started
DeviceJob: 3 Prepare files for transfer from device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 3 Prepare files for transfer from device callback returned
Job: 3 Prepare files for transfer from device finished
No details available.
Worker Launch took: 1.12299990654
Job: 4 Read metadata (0 of 1) finished
Read metadata (0 of 1)
	Traceback (most recent call last):
	  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 334, in get_file_type_metadata
	  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\builtins.py", line 191, in get_metadata
	  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\epub.py", line 229, in get_metadata
	  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\epub.py", line 136, in get_zip_reader
	  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\epub.py", line 123, in __init__
	  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\epub.py", line 90, in __init__
	  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\epub.py", line 127, in open
	  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\localunzip.py", line 241, in open
	TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

Added zmxmzx to db in: 1.22300004959 seconds

I hope I have posted this in correct format for the forum protocols. Apologies if I haven't.

Last edited by theducks; 08-29-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: fixe spoiler order
Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
mahal48
Connoisseur

Ooops, I don't think there should be that much blank space in a post. Apologies, not sure where I have gone wrong.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like you put a CODE block then a SPOILER maybe? Try a SPOILER with CODE inside.

On the bright side, doesn't look like the issue is specific to my KePubs since this is the log for a Kobo-supplied book
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
mahal48
Connoisseur

Ok thanks reverse the CODE then SPOILER.

It isn't a Kobo supplied book, if I understand you correctly. It was not downloaded from the Kobo website. It is the Calibre Quick Start Gide epub.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Not this log. This book path is under /usr/local/Kobo, which isn't anywhere calibre can put books, and it's a KePub, which the calibre user guide is not. Unless you uploaded it as a KePub, but it still wouldn't be under /usr/local/Kobo on the device.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
mahal48
Connoisseur

OK just had a look on my Glo and the Calibre Quick Start Guide is showing that it is a Kobo Epub. Now I am totally confused, because I downloaded it as an Epub. That doesn't make sense, because I also have the Calibre User Manual on my Glo and that is showing as an Epub.

The only things I do to Epubs, before I send them to my Glo is polish books, then do convert, Epub to Epub, or maybe the other way round. However, both of these processes are carried out on every Epub I send to my Glo. Would these processes convert an Epub to KePub? This hasn't affected the Calibre User Manual.

The only other difference I can think of between the two computers is my laptop has ADE installed and authorised, whereas my desktop computer doesn't. Plus, Glo has ADE authorised. Would this cause the problems I am experiencing?

I need to check my laptop and see what format the Epubs are on there. Hopefully, I will have my laptop back this weekend.

Thanks for your help so far, it is becoming a steep learning curve now.

Last edited by mahal48; 08-29-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
My guess would be that on the laptop you have installed the KobTouchExtended driver. When you use that to send a book to the Kobo device, it will convert the book to kepub during the send. That would explain what you are seeing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #12
mahal48
Connoisseur

Oops doesn't sound like good news. I will have to check when I finally get my laptop back.
My next post on this matter could be interesting
Old 08-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
mahal48
Connoisseur

Ok continuing saga. I have my laptop back and I do have the KoboTouchExtended plugin installed. I have disabled the KoboTouchExtended plugin and have resent it to my Glo. Then tried to send it to my desktop and it works. Enabled the plugin, sent to Glo and tried to sent to desktop and fails and produces exactly the same debug log as I have posted earlier. So is my understanding of this plugin that, if I add an epub to calibre then send it to my Glo it coverts it to Kepub, which then prevents me adding it to a library on another computer, because it is treated as a Kobo epub, even if it is a non DRM publication?

Isn't this a bit daft behaviour of a plugin to do this, in preventing using a non DRM free epub being used as you want to?

Anyway, I have solved my problem (I hope) and will not be using this plugin again. Thanks for all your advice guys.

Last edited by mahal48; 08-31-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Are you interested in helping to improve the situation? Can you, with KoboTouchExtended disabled, reproduce the issue again and post the latest debug log?

Last time you kept talking about the calibre manual, but your log was for the Kobo manual. If you are again failing on the Kobo manual, it's not the plugin's fault; if you're failing on any other KePub, generated or from Kobo, then it may be the plugin's fault (or may not) and I want to try to fix it if I can.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
mahal48
Connoisseur

Yes I am interested in improving the situation and eliminating any problems.

With the KoboTouchExtended removed from Calibre I can send the "Calibre Quick-Start Guide" to my Glo (from my laptop) and then add it to the Calibre library on my desktop. With KoboTouchExtended installed in Calibre on my laptop, I send the Calibre Quick-Start Guide" to Glo then try to add it to my Calibre library on my desktop and it fails. Exactly the same as when I first posted in here.

I have never tried to send the Kobo manual to my Glo. Please can you point out where in the debug log it says Kobo manual?
I may not be able to see where its says Kobo manual. Sorry if this is the case.

Last edited by mahal48; 08-31-2013 at 01:22 PM.