Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #46
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't have two readers, I have three (that I regularly use):

Kindle Paperwhite which I use as my main fiction reader.

Sony PRS-350 ePub reader for library books.

Apple iPad for PDFs and books which benefit from a colour screen or larger screen size.
Nice setup. What about the Sony allows you to read library books that you couldn't with a Kindle?

I have a Kobo Glo that I bought for myself, then my wife "appropriated" it. So I bought a Kobo Mini while they were on sale for $40 USD that I use all the time. The small size really is handy; it fits in a shirt pocket quite nicely and yet is much better than reading on my phone! If it only had a frontlight it would be perfect.
I also use my Samsung Galaxy S2 with Mantano Premium occasionally, since it's the one device I always have with me.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
Nice setup. What about the Sony allows you to read library books that you couldn't with a Kindle?
Library lending in Kindle format is not available outside the US. Libraries in the UK only lend books in ePub format, hence the reason I keep my old PRS-350 for library books.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #48
LovesMacs
Addict
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPhone
Here is another perfectly logical reason to have two e-readers. Imagine that you want to replicate the functionality of a paper book but with e-reading technology. You're in the middle of reading two different books--say, one novel and one non-fiction work--but you want to bring yourself closer to the paper book experience. In this case the only electronic alternative is to have two e-readers.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #49
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This seems to be the same as asking people why they have more than one child. Accidents happen
Apache

I have 2. I prefer buying from Amazon but if I can get it a lot cheaper at Kobo then I will buy from there and I don't have to worry about converting formats. I'm just that lazy .
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #50
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I have four working devices - Sony 505 (emergency back up reader); Sony 700 (outdoorreading and indoor alternate reading); NTHD (main indoor reader) And Smartphone (whenever a larger reader is not suitable).

I keep my current reading on three devices; the NT, the PRS-700 and the Galaxy. This allows me to read whenever and where ever I choose, regardless of possible charging issues.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #51
Antoinekamel
... and justice for all
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1
I have a Paperwhite and I keep the Kindle Touch because I bought each in its time, and nobody I know wants the old Touch.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #52
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
I've got four (4) PRS-350's. One is used for fanfiction, the other for regular fiction, and the other two for backup. Also have a Kobo Aura HD because hoping to use it as replacement to the PRS-350 but despite all the features (front-light, wifi, etc), I still like the PRS-350 much, much better.

Before I got e-ink, I used an iPhone 4 and a 4th gen iPod Touch (backup when the iPhone was charging) with Stanza. I also have several tablets for larger-format reading material (comics, magazines, etc). The LCD-based devices are what get used for night-time reading. That or when I'm feeling too lazy to connect the PRS-350 to the computer for syncing ebooks with Calibre.

Given how many devices that I switch between, I usually charge to 80-90% and then turn them off when not in use. That way, at least I'd always have something with a charge for when my current device runs out of battery.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #53
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Hmm, this is a tad embarrassing, I have two Kindles and three Sony readers. I was tempted to write something flippant about one in every room because I am to lazy to carry them around. The truth is that there is actually a system involved. Here goes; One US Kindle and one UK Kindle. Has to do with the Amazon store setup and georestrictions. Then one Japanese Sony (registered in Sony's Japan store) and one US Sony (registered in Sony's US store) and then one Sony "backup" or rather replacement for one that had a broken screen.
I suppose I could deregister and reregister my devices, but I'm sure they have some algorithm in place alerting them to that kind of practice and one Norwegian has already been banned (but later accepted again) in Amazon's Kindle Store due to some sort of registration actions and I'm simply not willing to take the risk since I have a serious reading addiction.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #54
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I use three ereaders. They each have different strengths and weaknesses based on three primary criteria: Ease of use for reading, ease of use in the dark and portability.

1. Sony PRS-350: 5" screen. I use this one at work and around town. It fits perfectly in my back pocket. I take it everywhere.

2. Kindle DX: 10" screen. My preferred reader. I like the large screen and fewer page turns. A large, heavy ereader that is not portable. Used only at home.

3. Kindle Paperwhite: 6" screen. Great for reading in the dark, or outside in the sunshine. Not too large. I take this one when I travel because it is good in the dark and it's moderately portable.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #55
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad mini, HP Touchpad, Aura HD
Ok, here are my ebook readers:

1. Kobo Aura. Currently my primary ebook reader. The screen is unbelievable. It is a bit on the heavy side, and, being new, I tend to baby it a bit and keep it at home.

2. PRS-505. My first ebook reader, now most often used by my husband. I still love the rugged metal case. It is definitely well built and still works quite well.

3. PRS-350. My "travel" ebook reader. Still quick as a whip, and the screen is still fantastic, even by today's standards. It's perhaps my favourite of all of the ebook readers I've owned. I might even pick up a backup 350 one day.

4. PRS-T1. I love the ergonomics of this one, it feels so great it my hand. It probably has the best ergonomics of all of my ebook readers.

Tablets:

HP touchpad. I occasionally read PDFs on this tablet. I love the UI, but it is quite heavy to read on it for long stretches.

Ipad 2. I use this often enough to read PDFs and comics. I'm itching to replace it with a newer iPad, but will hold out until the next refresh at least. I use my dad's iPad mini to read from time to time, as I love the form factor, but I do really think that I would greatly appreciate a retina screen.

I very, very rarely use my phone (iPhone 4s) to read, I generally find it too small to read comfortably for too long, although the screen is beautiful. It does serve in a pinch. I'm actually considering getting an iPad mini with a sim card and going back to using a "dumb" phone if an iPad mini with a retina screen is ever released. Not that I dislike my phone - I love it, but I always have a purse with me, and a retina iPad mini could make a great 'all in on' device for me, making the iPhone redundant.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #56
faithbw
Evangelist
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7.2
I think I'm probably one of the few people on this board who has only one e-reader. My phone is listed as a device but I rarely use it to read e-books. I really want to get a tablet but if I do get one, I doubt I'll use it as an e-reader. I love my PRS-350. It still works well. The Aura is tempting but then the practical part of me reminds myself that I have absolutely no need for it. Plus, if I got the Aura, either it or the 350 would probably end up not being used because my husband doesn't like e-books and I just can't see myself finding reasons to use both. Then I would end up selling the one I don't use. I know this because this is exactly what happened when I had my Nook classic and the 350.
faithbw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #57
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have three currently. Just gave my Sony 600 away and sold my 350 because a friend desperately wanted it.

I got the Kobo mini to replace the 350 for reading on the bus, or putting it in my pocket in case I want to read when I am out. I actually read on it the most

My Sony T1 was my balcony reader for night time, although I do read other places.

I bought an Aura and am not overly happy with it. The mini seems to work better overall, and the Sony is far more convenient and much faster collection-wise. I am away working for the summer, so no balcony reading but I may like the light better on the balcony, if not I will sell it.

I do use them all regularly. The mini because it is so light to hold and I like the touch to turn pages even if it often turns two, or goes backwards instead of forwards. Sad to say I gotten of used to that.

I have different books on all three, so sometimes I switch because it is less bother than having too many books on the Kobo and slowing it down. If I don't hit on something right away on one reader, chances are it is in the T1 as it dioes not seem to be bothered no matter how many books it holds.

Still I will likely buy another reader in the fall. Maybe two if I sell the Aura

I like gadgets, I use them all, and overall have no problems spending what most of them cost for a new toy.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #58
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I use my Nook str and my sony350 exactly the same way. The 350 is just SO easy to fit into anything
I don't generally like my ereader in a case either, but the PRS 350 is the exception, even in the case it still feels so slim and small. Although it's not quite small enough to fit in the back pocket of my trousers so it's not so easy during the summer. But any other time, it fits into my jacket pocket but is still robust enough wander the streets while I work. And when I get the chance to have a sneaky wee break, I just whip out my 350
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #59
Dhevi
Connoisseur
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
For much the same reasons most have already posted. I primarily use my tablet for magazines, comics, peers and reading at home. Nook touch for travel or outside reading. Smartphone as backup in cases where I find myself with unexpected time to kill.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #60
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Mostly by accident as I keep upgrading when a new model comes out. I've settled now with a Kindle on which I can sort my books into collections (very handy) and a Kindle Fire - which is great for reading in bed as the screen is backlit.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote