Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
1. Never open a book with weather.
2. Avoid prologues.
3. Never use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue.
4. Never use an adverb to modify the verb "said”…he admonished gravely.
5. Keep your exclamation points under control. You are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose.
6. Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose."
7. Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
8. Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
9. Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
10. Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.

"My most important rule is one that sums up the 10," he wrote. "If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/e...IIK3DobYRqh.99
I'll summarize them for you.

1. Never do anything interesting.

Rules. Meh. When I want a character to scream in fear, I'm not going to write:

"I can't hold on for much longer. My hand is slipping," Ronald said.

What the author means with most of his rules, I think, is to not overdo anything.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

What the author means with most of his rules, I think, is to not overdo anything.
Except when you need to.

In other words: I agree with you.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nexus 4, iPad 2, Notion Ink Adam Qi, Kindle WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:

But your example is not dialog it seems to me. I have heard most of these rules (including the said rule) from authors. Using synonyms to said in dialog is usually described as a beginners mistake.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Rizla
Wizard
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650 / Cybook Opus / Nook STR (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
1. Never open a book with weather. [/url]
Quote:
The white July heat, the hottest it had been in two hundred years, engulfed the city. The air shimmered over red-hot rooftops. All the windows in the city were flung open, and in the thin shade of wilting trees, old women sweated and melted on benches near courtyard gates.

The sun charged past the meridian and sank its claws into the long-suffering book bindings and the glass and polished wood of the bookcases; hot angry patches of reflected light quivered on the wallpaper. It was almost time for the afternoon siege, for the furious sun to hang dead still in the sky above the twelve-story house across the street and fire endless rounds of heat into the apartment.

Strugatsky, Definitely Maybe
So that's the first 'rule' pressed to the floor and shot in the back of the head. Maybe I'll exterminate the others, at my leisure.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony650
Funny you should say that Rizla, I just started re-reading Hyperion, Dan Simmons' Hugo award winning novel. He doesn't mention the thunderstorm until the second sentence of the first paragraph, but that paragraph could almost be summarised as: "The night was dark and stormy ..." Also, this first paragraph was (drum roll please), in the prologue. Rules 3, 4, 6 and 8 are definitely are broken within a few pages. Arguably rules 7, 9 and 10 are broken too, but these are subjective items. It's a paper book so I haven't bothered searching for exclamation marks.

I think a quote from Barbossa (Pirates of the Caribbean) is in order (regarding the Pirates' Code):
Quote:
the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hm.

The work I'm trying to write has a foreword, introduction, prelude, prologue, and of course it also has intermezzo's between chapters, interludes between parts, and an epilogue, afterthought, closure and afterword at the end.

Should I cut that down a bit?

Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Funny you should say that Rizla, I just started re-reading Hyperion, Dan Simmons' Hugo award winning novel. He doesn't mention the thunderstorm until the second sentence of the first paragraph, but that paragraph could almost be summarised as: "The night was dark and stormy ..." Also, this first paragraph was (drum roll please), in the prologue. Rules 3, 4, 6 and 8 are definitely are broken within a few pages. Arguably rules 7, 9 and 10 are broken too, but these are subjective items. It's a paper book so I haven't bothered searching for exclamation marks.

I think a quote from Barbossa (Pirates of the Caribbean) is in order (regarding the Pirates' Code):
Quote:
the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-28-2013 at 12:17 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Hm.

The work I'm trying to write has a foreword, introduction, prelude, prologue, and of course it also has intermezzo's between chapters, interludes between parts, and an epilogue, afterthought, closure and afterword at the end.

Should I cut that down a bit?

No, No, go for it....that's what I'm doing with my Growing Up Stories.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #24
BadBilly
Just an Excitable Boy
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Galaxy Nexus with several reader apps
The rules aren't bad. Great writers can and do and should break every one of them. Most of the writers who will read that list of rules are not great writers. The list may help them avoid being truly bad writers.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
The rules aren't bad. Great writers can and do and should break every one of them. Most of the writers who will read that list of rules are not great writers. The list may help them avoid being truly bad writers.
I think most writers are great. Some are just greater than others Big points in my book for even trying.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #26
BadBilly
Just an Excitable Boy
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Galaxy Nexus with several reader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I think most writers are great. Some are just greater than others Big points in my book for even trying.

Helen
Oooooh, I think we're going to have to disagree on that one.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post

Helen
Speaking as I writer - I of course can fully support this.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote