Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yeah, I misunderstood it as being technically uncomfortable with it. I could see someone being philosophically uneasy with it being illegal, if it is where he/she is. I'm not, personally, just like you, but I could understand if someone was.
yes i'm sure the chief exec of big corporate agonizes about little you and little people all night.

as far i'm concerned their all greedy ........ and they can go to hell as most of them are psychopaths.

you take what you need from these greedy corporations who buy politicians in their never ending quest for more and more profit.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
you take what you need from these greedy corporations who buy politicians in their never ending quest for more and more profit.
Sounds more like an excuse for personal greed.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #18
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Sounds more like an excuse for personal greed.
since the odds are stacked against the little people and these corporations have taken over the government thorough endless lobbying and various bribes disguised as donations we have to do what we need to do.

of course there are sheeple who roll over to these corporations and their lies.

i take it from your defense of them you work for them and have been subjected to their mind control meetings and power point "presentations" to be loyal to them?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
since the odds are stacked against the little people and these corporations have taken over the government thorough endless lobbying and various bribes disguised as donations we have to do what we need to do.

of course there are sheeple who roll over to these corporations and their lies.

i take it from your defense of them you work for them and have been subjected to their mind control meetings and power point "presentations" to be loyal to them?
You got it all wrong --- we have a small business. I am just getting tired of hearing the constant refrain "those evil big corporations", when there are good and bad ones, just like everything else. And overall we would be a lot worse off without them. I have seen how within 20 years they have lifted most of Asia out of abject poverty. And some of the people running them, like Bezos, are pretty amazing.

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-15-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You got it all wrong --- we have a small business. I am just getting tired of hearing the constant refrain "those evil big corporations", when there are good and bad ones, just like everything else. And overall we would be a lot worse off without them. I have seen how within 20 years they have lifted most of Asia out of abject poverty. And some of the people running them, like Bezos, are pretty amazing.
All businesses start small then become greedy corrupt behomeths.

Have you forgotten Glaxo and their list of crimes as just one example?

no doubt once you become a ruthless multimillionaire you will want to be a even more ruthless billionaire and then a corrupt multibillionaire as even that isn't enough and you want more more more.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Last edited by vugtitan; 08-15-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: requiem.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Unless you have a monopoly for a product that people really need a business never has absolute power. Most business actually have very little power and are at the mercy of the market and their customers。Look at Amazon, for all their size their only real power is being able to control costs and offer good deals while still providing great service.

And my business doesn't have the potential to become a big business -- not that we really want that. Some of our customers are very big companies, so they hold all the pricing power versus us. We don't sell anything to consumers, only to industrial users. And competition is extremely cutthroat. It is a constant challenge.

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-15-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
ottdmk
Addict
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Blackberry Playbook
One of the fascinating things about Amazon that I discovered during the Apple anti-trust stuff is how Amazon manages to have an extremely good stock price while reporting extremely little profit.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Easy to convert ePub to Amazon's KF8 format using Calibre.
sadly, it's becoming increasingly difficult to do that. some of the latest ebooks don't seem to even be available for Kindle for PC, but solely for the device or the apps...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Droid Bionic, 1st Gen Kindle Fire. All Sony's Retired
As much as I dislike my Kindle fire. . .

as a tablet, It makes for a VERY good ebook reader. Why? The whole Amazon book browsing and buying experience is SO much better than everyone else. I side loaded moon+ reader onto the Fire, so I can read epubs on it from Kobo or Sony. I still have my Sony's but they don't see much use.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
sadly, it's becoming increasingly difficult to do that. some of the latest ebooks don't seem to even be available for Kindle for PC, but solely for the device or the apps...
That's only true for books that use features not supported by K4PC, such as "fixed layout", which is often used for comics.

I've bought in excess of 3000 Amazon books, every one of them downloaded with K4PC, and have not had a single one that it won't download.

What was the book that you encountered the problem with?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #26
simon89
simon89 began at the beginning.

I personally always prefered the Kobo and made good experiences with it. The only thing I dislike is the design of it. Concerning this I like the Kindle way better. But maybe I'm a bit fastidious after years of using Apple.
simon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
greenasterisk
Enthusiast
greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsong View Post
I've had a Kobo Touch for a year and a half. I am starting to have reset issues and think it's time to buy a new e reader. I'm looking at the Kobo Aura. I like Kobo because many of the British publications come out sooner on Kobo than Kindle. I'd like to hear back to get thoughts from other people.
Form personal experience I would recommend the Kobo Aura HD. I own one and have always been partial towards it.
greenasterisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
leo_CR
leo_CR began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Hi. I just got a question. Regarding the light, I've listened that the text tends to appear a lot lighter when the light is on, and that got me puzzled... Is there any difference between paperwhite and glo/aura in that aspect? _Has any of them bolder and darker fonts that the other?

Thanks!
leo_CR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #29
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_CR View Post
Hi. I just got a question. Regarding the light, I've listened that the text tends to appear a lot lighter when the light is on, and that got me puzzled... Is there any difference between paperwhite and glo/aura in that aspect? _Has any of them bolder and darker fonts that the other?
On the Kobos, with the built-in fonts, you can adjust the font weight (and sharpness), making them appear as bold as you like.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
leo_CR
leo_CR began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
On the Kobos, with the built-in fonts, you can adjust the font weight (and sharpness), making them appear as bold as you like.
Yes, i've listened that. But I don't know if it has a real influence in the boldness of the font, I mean, in the perceived darkness, or if that light effect is more strong that the customization
leo_CR is offline   Reply With Quote