Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Hmmm, maybe the seller needs to tell the publisher to supply the seller with that info or they won't sell it.

That would sort it from that aspect, but Amazon still needs to be upfront re the countries that theIr lending scheme isn't applicable to.
They are. Lending is only available in the US. It's as simple as that.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #32
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are. Lending is only available in the US. It's as simple as that.
Can you give me a link to where on the Amazon website they indicate that elending is only for US citizens.

I find the Amazon site so cluttered with stuff that I've probably overlooked it.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #33
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
There are several possibilities mentioned about the contract between the author & publisher. This would, of course, affect the author's ability to override the publisher's rules. Assuming the author does have that ability however US courts have generally held that the least restrictive clause applies. Exceptions have been made when the various terms are dated, then the most recent tends to be enforced. These appear to be undated.
Thanks Calvin

I live in Australia so I abide by my country's laws etc.

If the laws are coincidental goodoh, but when Amazon wants to (and does) sell into Aus, then they need to follow our consumer and other laws.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #34
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Australians are treated quite poorly by Amazon - they don't give us our own site, we have to use the US site where everything is stated in USD, including at the final checkout. Rude to say the least.
I read this rumor that I wrote that Jeff Bezos was once mugged by an ostrich. That's probably why.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #35
stepberr
stepberr began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
As with most such maters it is all about taxes.While Amazon does not have a legal presence in Australia, goods under $1000 don't attrached Australian taxes when imported.
stepberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #36
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I read this rumor that I wrote that Jeff Bezos was once mugged by an ostrich. That's probably why.
Me and my emu think that's absolutely hilarious!

(PS he's be known to do the same thing especially in a picnic ground )

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 08-12-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #37
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepberr View Post
As with most such maters it is all about taxes.While Amazon does not have a legal presence in Australia, goods under $1000 don't attrached Australian taxes when imported.
Not sure I get your drift

Kobo's website sells us ebooks in AUD no worries.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #38
stepberr
stepberr began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Actualy I was refering to the lack of an Austalian store.There is nothing stopping Amazon from listing prices in AUD.That is just laziness on their part.
stepberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #39
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!

Quote:
Actualy I was refering to the lack of an Austalian store.There is nothing stopping Amazon from listing prices in AUD.That is just laziness on their part.
Absolutely!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
There could be legal reasons, and fluctuating exchange rates. The China resource boom seems to be over and they may be afraid the AUD will drop.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #41
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
There could be legal reasons, and fluctuating exchange rates. The China resource boom seems to be over and they may be afraid the AUD will drop.
Kobo (et al in other industries) don't have any problems displaying prices in AUD, irrespective of the daily exchange fluctuations.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #42
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kobo (et al in other industries) don't have any problems displaying prices in AUD, irrespective of the daily exchange fluctuations.
I would agree that it doesn't show a strong commitment by Amazon to the Australian market.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #43
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!

Hans, what's Amazon like in Taiwan?

I suspect that your treatment is as poor as ours re currency and access to elending etc ...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #44
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Hans, what's Amazon like in Taiwan?

I suspect that your treatment is as poor as ours re currency and access to elending etc ...
There is no Amazon Taiwan. I really only use Amazon US (both for digital items and for stuff that is hard to get here) and occasionally Amazon Germany for gifts to family and friends in the old country. And I really have no complaints, their service is outstanding. My only complaint is the international shipping charges from them, but there are ways around that.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #45
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nexus 4, iPad 2, Notion Ink Adam Qi, Kindle WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
When I bought my Kindle PW recently I could choose to pay in USD or in SEK (Swedish). It is usually better to pay in USD because of the different exchange rates. But it seems I cannot choose that for buying Kindle books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote