Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
witchkitten
Enthusiast
witchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Look for a new ereader

I am interested in an ereader to replace my Nook Simple Touch. While I love the design of the device and the physical page turn buttons, I've found that both the hardware and software are very glitchy. I've already had the device replaced once and am having to replace it again. I'm also unhappy with B&N's lousy tech support and the direction their software is taking (I went so far as to revert to an older software version after they got rid of the page numbers in the table of contents).

Now I'm at a loss for what ereader to buy. The Kindle Touch is out because I prefer the epub format to the mobi/azw format, and because I find the device uncomfortable to hold. The rubberized contoured back of the NST is one of the biggest selling points of the device. I'm interested in the Kobo ereader but because I live in the U.S. there doesn't seem to be a way of looking at one in person to see if it's comfortable to hold, and check out the software.

Here are some things I'm looking for:

1) An E-Ink device.
2) Touch screen (a must).
3) Page numbers for all books. I like having them in the table of contents but if not, I'd like for there to be some other easy way of telling how many pages are left in a chapter without having to navigate to the next chapter to see what page it starts on. I also want to be able to see how many total pages are left in the book. I prefer dynamic page numbers like those found in iBook or Stanza for the iPad/iPhone but the static Adobe ones are better than nothing.
4) Epub support
5) If the device has a light for night reading I want the ability to turn off the light when I'm not using it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by witchkitten; 08-06-2013 at 02:45 PM.
witchkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchkitten View Post
I'm interested in the Kobo ereader but because I live in the U.S. there doesn't seem to be a way of looking at one in person to see if it's comfortable to hold, and check out the software.
Family Christian stores carry Kobo if you have one near you.

Also many Indie booksellers across the US carry Kobo devices. There's a store finder on this page...
http://www.kobo.com/indie
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
witchkitten
Enthusiast
witchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Family Christian stores carry Kobo if you have one near you.

Also many Indie booksellers across the US carry Kobo devices. There's a store finder on this page...
http://www.kobo.com/indie

Thank you for the link. I saw the Family Christian stores but the closest one is far from me, however, there seem to be several close indie stores.

Last edited by witchkitten; 08-06-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You might try a Kobo mini when they are on sale for $40 which seems to be often.

Small but easy to read on and very comfortable to hold.

Kobo software is possibly the glitchiest but I still use mine and they are overall not unendurable.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
witchkitten
Enthusiast

Helen, what do you mean by glitchy. What sort of glitches have you experienced?

I actually went to look the Kobo at an indie retailer near me and I was impressed. I didn't think anyone made dedicated ereaders with dynamic page numbers but that's what the Kobo had. I love how customizable it is in terms of fonts and margins, and the fact there's the option of forcing non-justified text to justify. Also, I was happy that it showed the number of pages left in the chapter, and I actually prefer having a total percentage read to having the total number of pages, though it would be nice to have both. Of the three ereaders I've tried (Nook, Kindle, Kobo) the Kobo is the closest to Stanza (RIP), which was my favorite ereading software. I also though it was comfortable to hold. The rubberized material is so much better than the hard material used by the Kindle Touch.

My main gripe with the Kobo is that it didn't always register my finger taps to move the pages backwards or forwards. I don't like to swipe so that's something I have to think about. Also, the top and bottom margins at the lowest setting were larger than I'd like. My Nook fits a lot more words to a page with the same font and font size. The software wasn't as intuitive as my Nook, which of the three ereaders I've tried is the closest to the iPhone, but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

The store I went to only had the glo and the mini. I'm interested to see the Aura too. Hopefully one of the other local retailers has one on display.

Last edited by witchkitten; 08-06-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Helen, what do you mean by glitchy. What sort of glitches have you experienced?

I actually went to look the Kobo at an indie retailer near me and I was impressed. I didn't think anyone made dedicated ereaders with dynamic page numbers but that's what the Kobo had. I love how customizable it is in terms of fonts and margins, and the fact there's the option of forcing non-justified text to justify. Also, I was happy that it showed the number of pages left in the chapter, and I actually prefer having a total percentage read to having the total number of pages, though it would be nice to have both. Of the three ereaders I've tried (Nook, Kindle, Kobo) the Kobo is the closest to Stanza (RIP), which was my favorite ereading software. I also though it was comfortable to hold. The rubberized material is so much better than the hard material used by the Kindle Touch.

My main gripe with the Kobo is that it didn't always register my finger taps to move the pages backwards or forwards. I don't like to swipe so that's something I have to think about. Also, the top and bottom margins at the lowest setting were larger than I'd like. My Nook fits a lot more words to a page with the same font and font size. The software wasn't as intuitive as my Nook, which of the three ereaders I've tried is the closest to the iPhone, but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

The store I went to only had the glo and the mini. I'm interested to see the Aqua too. Hopefully one of the other local retailers has one on display.
I don't want to knock Kobo overall because the mini at least is a great little reader hardware wise at a great price.

But it and all Kobo readers are missing basic reliability and functionality that we take for granted in other readers.

There are numerous threads in the Kobo forums detailing these problems and the partial solutions that those outside of Kobo have worked hard to develop.

Each firmware revision fixes one thing and generally breaks something else and/or introduces a whole new problem. We have one or more fairly active, very long threads for the latest 2-3 and an overall kobo Bug thread which is also very long and not complete by any means.
Nothing to that extent in any of the other device forums.

I have a mini and an Aura and they are both nice, although I think I like the mini better.

I still would recommend a mini to all but the extreme technophobe because of the nice hardware and the very good price.

For a while I was very annoyed at the double triple page turns, the back button being taken away, the extremely slow opening of the shelf menu, the poor or non functioning or random sorting functions, but I have mostly gotten over it I don't use the dictionaries or wifi so no problems there. 99% of the time I am reading a book and the only problem I have with that is the double/triple page turns, which haven't severely strained my thumb yet.

Helen.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
witchkitten
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I don't want to knock Kobo overall because the mini at least is a great little reader hardware wise at a great price.

But it and all Kobo readers are missing basic reliability and functionality that we take for granted in other readers.

There are numerous threads in the Kobo forums detailing these problems and the partial solutions that those outside of Kobo have worked hard to develop.

Each firmware revision fixes one thing and generally breaks something else and/or introduces a whole new problem. We have one or more fairly active, very long threads for the latest 2-3 and an overall kobo Bug thread which is also very long and not complete by any means.
Nothing to that extent in any of the other device forums.

I have a mini and an Aura and they are both nice, although I think I like the mini better.

I still would recommend a mini to all but the extreme technophobe because of the nice hardware and the very good price.

For a while I was very annoyed at the double triple page turns, the back button being taken away, the extremely slow opening of the shelf menu, the poor or non functioning or random sorting functions, but I have mostly gotten over it I don't use the dictionaries or wifi so no problems there. 99% of the time I am reading a book and the only problem I have with that is the double/triple page turns, which haven't severely strained my thumb yet.

Helen.
Thanks for the info. I'll go browse the Kobo boards. Double/triple page turns would be annoying. The reason I'm exchanging my Nook yet again is that the page turn buttons have been wonky. Sometimes it doesn't register when I press them but even worse the pages will start rapidly going forwards (or backwards depending on the button) until I hit the button again to stop it. Even if I press the button right away it's usually gone ten pages or more forward. Two or three pages wouldn't be so bad, although it would be worse if it happened more frequently. Thankfully, the Nook issue is very sporadic but it's becoming more frequent.

Last edited by witchkitten; 08-06-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Smile

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll go browse the Kobo boards. Double/triple page turns would be annoying.
Generally take what you read on forums with a grain of salt. Feedback is more likely to be provided by people who experience problems or have faulty devices.

My own experience with the Kobo Glo is that it works fabulously. I have no double or triple page turns (I had those with the Pyrus mini until a firmware update fixed them) and I haven't bumped into any software glitches, though I have pretty low expectations: I side-load books and shelves via Calibre, and read them. I'm not doing any actual organizing on the device, don't buy books through it, and don't search through my library. Calibre is used for all of that.

My only two "issues" with the Kobo Glo are the lack of physical page-turn buttons and the light switch that is impossible to find in the dark. (I go back and forth on the desire for buttons, mostly for "reading on the back and holding the device in one hand above my head", so I picked up a Bookeen model, but I think they are mostly/only available here in Europe, and I haven't received it yet.)

Overall, though, I'm satisfied with the Glo.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
witchkitten
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Generally take what you read on forums with a grain of salt. Feedback is more likely to be provided by people who experience problems or have faulty devices.

My own experience with the Kobo Glo is that it works fabulously. I have no double or triple page turns (I had those with the Pyrus mini until a firmware update fixed them) and I haven't bumped into any software glitches, though I have pretty low expectations: I side-load books and shelves via Calibre, and read them. I'm not doing any actual organizing on the device, don't buy books through it, and don't search through my library. Calibre is used for all of that.

My only two "issues" with the Kobo Glo are the lack of physical page-turn buttons and the light switch that is impossible to find in the dark. (I go back and forth on the desire for buttons, mostly for "reading on the back and holding the device in one hand above my head", so I picked up a Bookeen model, but I think they are mostly/only available here in Europe, and I haven't received it yet.)

Overall, though, I'm satisfied with the Glo.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was impressed with the Kobo Glo in the store although it wasn't very responsive to my taps to turn the page. But other than that I liked it a lot. I think that if I do make the switch I'll miss the page turn buttons but the dynamic page numbers and the greater font and layout control might make up for it. Also, the Nook is horrid for organizing books and doesn't integrate with Calibre so it would be nice to have that feature as well.

Last edited by witchkitten; 08-06-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I know you said that you're not really interested in the Kindle, but I really would consider the Kindle Paperwhite. It has a great "reading time" feature which shows you the time left to finish either the current chapter or the current book, and it's trivial to convert between ePub and the Kindle's KF8 format using Calibre. The firmware is rock solid with no real bugs, and Amazon's support is second to none. Plus, of course, Amazon have the best bookstore around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Also, the Nook is horrid for organizing books and doesn't integrate with Calibre so it would be nice to have that feature as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know you said that you're not really interested in the Kindle, but I really would consider the Kindle Paperwhite. It has a great "reading time" feature which shows you the time left to finish either the current chapter or the current book, and it's trivial to convert between ePub and the Kindle's KF8 format using Calibre. The firmware is rock solid with no real bugs, and Amazon's support is second to none. Plus, of course, Amazon have the best bookstore around.
I currently have a Paperwhite and I wouldn't recommend it to the OP as it doesn't work very well with Calibre collections (series/shelves).

I am looking to replace my PW and am waiting to see the specifications of the upcoming Sony T3 and new 6" Kobo. My previous Sonys (300,350,650) have always been a pleasure to use and integrate very well with Calibre. Although if the T3 turns out not to be front lit, then I will choose the Kobo.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I currently have a Paperwhite and I wouldn't recommend it to the OP as it doesn't work very well with Calibre collections (series/shelves).
True. I find Calibre plugboards to be a superior way of organising my books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I don't have a Glo but I do have an Aura and on the whole I'm quite happy with it. I've yet to have any problems with the hardware or software and I can only assume that the Glo is just as good. I think Kobo owners tend to be a pretty passionate bunch which is both good and bad. If you want to see the bad just watch them fight in whatever the latest firmware thread is. If you simply want to organise your books and read then you'll be fine. If you want toI turn your books into a wall of tiny text with absolutely no line spacing whatsoever then you may have to look elsewhere.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
If you simply want to organise your books and read then you'll be fine. If you want toI turn your books into a wall of tiny text with absolutely no line spacing whatsoever then you may have to look elsewhere.
Nope! It's easy to fix the line spacing issue using Calibre.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote