Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #226
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
The PW2 is not a good choice to experiment with due to it requiring a serial port connection to fix when you break it.

Test your changes **WHILE** you have a ssh session open (in addition to whatever is involved with your testing).

Be certain you have the "Rescue Pack" and the "Rescue Pack Add-on" installed and know (practice) how to use them.

Since there is a new (5.4.5) firmware release for the PW2 "in the air" -
Either install the backdoor lock to keep control of when the PW2 tries to update itself or
install the update yourself before you start making changes.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #227
Ebri
Connoisseur
Ebri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura HD
I am regretting not waiting for Kobo Aura HD and bought PW2 at once . I simply want to replace Baskerville font I wrote above and nothing more.

(Though I am kind of curious, so probably i will check this anyway. I think it was 5 years ago when i meddled with linux command line for hours the last time ).
Ebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #228
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
None of what I suggested is **required** to make a font change.

Just good advice(tm) in case anything goes wrong.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #229
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
@Ebri: Nope, you'll need to tweak a fontconfig shard manually for Baskerville. The config UI only handles Serif/Sans/Condensed/Mono/Fallback.

In itself, that doesn't require an SSH access, but I very, very strongly suggest that you do it over SSH anyway.

In terms of potential effect, that should be pretty safe, and writing the config should be pretty straightforward, based on the fc-override.tpl template file.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-23-2014 at 03:24 PM.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 AM   #230
Ebri
Connoisseur

Thank you, I will choose fallback for experimenting then, at least it is easier . (Is it Palatino?) And I will do some reading beforehand and decide what I'd like to do, change system or read epubs under koreader.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #231
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Ebri: Nope, fallback, is, well, the fallback font (Mainly Code2000, and Helvetica when it's triggered as a fallback font).

If you want to experiment, I usually recommend tweaking condensed first.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-24-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #232
Ebri
Connoisseur

Sorry, now i have some time again. I understand I should read, what should I read if I would replact Caecilia (I like the condensed version) with Constantia, and that's all. (As embedded font it works fine.) I have no problem in installing several packages, I just don't know what can go wrong and how should I fix it .

I know I hardly understand things, I just wouldn't like to brick my device in any case.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #233
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Ebri: Read the first post carefully, and see if you feel confident enough to do it.

Again, I'd recommend doing it with an SSH shell open, but if you don't have any experience with Linux CLI, that might be more harmful than helpful, so, YMMV.

That said, you should be safe enough with tweaking only Serif, and in case things do go horribly awry, a factory reset should do the trick.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-01-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #234
Ebri
Connoisseur

Thank you, first i will sleep after 2 weeks of working a lot . After reading the first post i don't feel confident, that's the cause of the question. I have only experience with desktop linux, I understood i should run scripts I just couldn't find out what. knc1 mentioned practicing, but I didn't find what to do.

(You are very helpful, I have limited knowledge unfortunately.)
Old 08-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #235
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Ebri: There's a certain degree of ass-covering in the first post, by design. If you don't mind a potentially bumpy road (although as I said, if you keep away from the Sans override, you should be mostly safe), and have some kind of safety net in place (SSH and/or RescuePack+CWRP), you should be okay.

@inarcs: You are indeed completely in the wrong place. I'll move your post to a dedicated thread.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #236
Ebri
Connoisseur

Thank you!
Everything works fine, though during installing I successfully booted to diag mode . It took some time to find the menu point to get out of it. And I was able to telnet into the Kindle. (Bad part: when I wanted to log off, I realised in spite of typing, nothing happens, so it seems it would have not help me at all... Login screen is nice though.) So both Constantia for Knidle and DejaVu Eink seem OK fonts.

(And it was years ago the last time I used ifconfig down )
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #237
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Ebri: I assume you have the RescuePack+CWRP installed, and you left it plugged during the install, which is what led to booting to diags?
Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #238
Ebri
Connoisseur

Yes, exactly, when I realised I haven't unplugged it was too late. But in 15 mins I found the proper menu command to leave this mode. Without problem a text based screen can be quite frightening . Everything works as it should, i was lame only. really appreciate your work in these things, as hardware is I think very good, software also, but these tweaks make it really usable.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #239
Barty
Wizard
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2, iPad 3
^^^^ Yes font hack is awesomeness. Can't live without it. Many thanks to NiLuJe and all the devs for their work and answering questions,

Maybe it's my dumb luck, but I've never had problem overriding fonts. I override Baskerville, Helvetica, Palatino, Condensed. I even override Futura, which gives me easier to read library and menu screen. Not that I recommend people do this

Last edited by Barty; 08-09-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #240
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Barty: Futura on its own is probably safeish, it's mostly Helvetica that can cause problems .

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch