Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
It's interesting that today most people probably think of Verne primarily as a SF author, whereas in reality the main theme of his work is travel to exotic locations, and the majority of his books have no SF-element at all, but are straightforward adventure stories.

It's unfortunate that a significant number of his books have no English translation available.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's interesting that today most people probably think of Verne primarily as a SF author, whereas in reality the main theme of his work is travel to exotic locations, and the majority of his books have no SF-element at all, but are straightforward adventure stories.

It's unfortunate that a significant number of his books have no English translation available.
With today's relatively easy air travel (planes and helicopters), you can get to most places on the planet in a matter of days. And with satellite coverage, no place is yet unseen. That old adventure of stumbling on an undiscovered region of Earth with bizarre inhabitants just doesn't exist anymore, and has disappeared from our dreams. I wonder if young people today get the same thrill from reading those old novels that we older people did, or if it just falls flat for them?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #18
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
I do enjoy his fast pace for a story even though I often wondered how people went to the bathroom at times. Five Weeks in a Balloon over Africa being the first example in the series, but this is common in adventure/action of the time.

Last edited by Billsuits1; 08-05-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:05 AM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsuits1 View Post
I do enjoy his fast pace for a story even though I often wondered how people went to the bathroom at times. Five Weeks in a Balloon over Africa being the first example in the series, but this is common in adventure/action of the time.
Yep, such things tend to be glossed over. Or maybe with the state of technology being what it was back then author's figured people had an idea how certain things were taken care of. I mean they did have things like chamber pots from way back in antiquity. Not to mention outhouses.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #20
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Well on a balloon where they worried so much about extra weight..I just assumed they had a seat with no bottom where it was all look out below.

I do find interesting how so much of his work does not involve the Europeans. A lot of his heros are English or American. I wonder if at the time if there was a belief this is how it is.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Lon Chaney Sr. has a similar problem in film. Since a lot of his work has been lost most people think he was a horror movie actor but in fact he made a lot of non-horror movies. It's just that so few are left that his "Phantom of the Opera" and "Hunchback of Notre Dame" are the best known.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #22
gbm
Guru
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisence Sero 7 Pro, Nook STR, jetbook lite
You may want to check out Ron Miller Classics of Science Fiction Bundle Seven at BaenEbooks.

Spoiler:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne edited by Ron Miller
Spoiler:
Quote:
Features 26 unique illustrations by Ron Miller including cutaway views and schematics of the Natuilus, accurate maps, and details of Verne’s diving suits
Includes appendices, annotations, and other additional information by editor Ron Miller
Now with an Historical Afterword by Ron Miller
Unabridged version

Featured in Ron Miller’s “The Conquest of Space Book Series.” This special edition of Jules Verne's classic novel corrects more than 3000 errors in the original 1872 English translation and replaces the 23% of text that had been expurgated by the original translator for political, ideological and other reasons.

A Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne edited by Ron Miller
Spoiler:
Quote:
More than 200 notes and annotations by Ron Miller introducing the reader to Verne’s science
Features full-page illustrations by Ron Miller
Accompanied by special chapter heads and appendices
Includes Detailed maps
New translation

Featured in Ron Miller’s “The Conquest of Space Book Series.” A special edition of Jules Verne's masterpiece, edited, expanded, corrected and illustrated by Ron Miller, with a text newly translated from the original French.

Off on a Comet by Jules Verne edited by Ron Miller
Spoiler:
Includes more than 100 illustrations from the original edition
Features an appendix with a diagram and map
Newly edited and expanded

Featured in Ron Miller’s “The Conquest of Space Book Series.” A collision with a comet tears off a piece of the earth, along with a small band of survivors. The original 19th century translation has been corrected and expanded.

From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne edited by Ron Miller
Spoiler:
Quote:
Newly translated
Unexpurgated text includes both From the Earth to the Moon and Around the Moon
Includes original footnotes by Verne and the original illustrations
Features special annotations and appendices

Featured in Ron Miller’s “The Conquest of Space Book Series.” Undoubtedly the most important, influential space novel ever written. This newly translated edition includes the full, unexpurgated text of both From the Earth to the Moon and its sequel, Around the Moon.

The Purchase of the North Pole by Jules Verne edited by Ron Miller
Spoiler:
Quote:
Replaced previously deleted material
Newly edited text
Includes the original illustrations

Featured in Ron Miller’s “The Conquest of Space Book Series.” The Purchase of the North Pole is one of Verne's lesser-known works. A sequel to From the Earth to the Moon, it tells of the Gun Club's mad plans to tip the Earth on its axis in order to access the coal veins at the North Pole!

Price: $19.95

Also at Amazon

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
sadly as this sounds, I never actually read Verne. sure, we all know it from movies, comic books and so on.

so I tried to read a book by him, and went for the unorthodox, away from the spotlights. I reached about chapter 3 or 4 of An Antarctic Mistery and find out I absolutely need to go through Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym before properly reading this book. go figure...

at least I'm almost done with Poe's only published romance. which BTW, is well worth a read...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Billsuits1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
sadly as this sounds, I never actually read Verne. sure, we all know it from movies, comic books and so on.

so I tried to read a book by him, and went for the unorthodox, away from the spotlights. I reached about chapter 3 or 4 of An Antarctic Mistery and find out I absolutely need to go through Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym before properly reading this book. go figure...

at least I'm almost done with Poe's only published romance. which BTW, is well worth a read...

I loved Poe's novel. It was amazing. I then went and read Verne's sequel and was disappointed in it simply because Poe's novel was so good.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
Billsuits1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes. It contains equations, which have to be represented as graphics (you can't sensibly do equations in ASCII ). Just try it and see. It's not as if it's going to cost you anything. As the description says, the equations are in Ch. 4 of "Around the Moon".
I just finished the first half of the pair. Verne is a quick enjoyable read for me. I love how he can transport me to the place and time. I am so glad I have many more to read still.

I do wish I could go back just to be able to know how common some of these things are. He is writing about 1865 and he talks about electric lamps as if there are just available.

Next will be the second half Around the Moon.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Electric lighting would be revolutionary indeed in 1865, given that the lightbulb wasn't invented until 1879, and the first commercial use of electric lighting took place in 1880.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Electric lighting would be revolutionary indeed in 1865, given that the lightbulb wasn't invented until 1879, and the first commercial use of electric lighting took place in 1880.
Ah, but others before Edison had tried to create one. His was just the first practical one that could be mass produced. And even before then Humphrey Davy had demonstrated an electric arc light sometime betwen 1802 and 1809 so the concept of an electric light wasn't unknown when Edison took up the challenge.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840
I started reading Journey to the Interior of the Earth last night. It's much funnier than I thought it would be, and I'm finding it pretty entertaining so far.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #29
poohbear_nc
Feliz Fowlidad!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
What I find amazing is the sheer amount of factual information (for its time) that is included within the narratives. After reading this thread, I began reading 'The Voyages of Captain Hatteras' - which describes a journey to the North Pole - in which characters recount the history of polar exploration.
poohbear_nc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
With today's relatively easy air travel (planes and helicopters), you can get to most places on the planet in a matter of days. And with satellite coverage, no place is yet unseen. That old adventure of stumbling on an undiscovered region of Earth with bizarre inhabitants just doesn't exist anymore, and has disappeared from our dreams. I wonder if young people today get the same thrill from reading those old novels that we older people did, or if it just falls flat for them?
I'm 35 so I don't know if that qualifies me as younger anymore but I always have, and still, get a kick out of reading about undiscovered locations/animals/etc. Science still discovers boatloads of new species and fossils every year so the thought that there's something out there that humans haven't laid eyes on yet isn't so alien to me.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote