Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think the Amazon Kindle looks...
good 4 40.00%
bad 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Vote on Amazon Kindle's looks

Lets do a vote of those who have the Kindle

Who here believes that the kindle looks:
1. Good
2. Bad

I remember when I was unpacking the Kindle, i thought it looked great! Especially with the bright white touch.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I like it! It looks much better in person than in the ads.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It's not... well, pretty. But it was MUCH nicer looking in person than it looked like in the pics and video. Wasn't NEARLY as big and blocky as I expected.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
on it's own I think it looks decent, but compared to other devices I don't think it fares too well. My bf described it as looking like it's from the future in the 80's :P
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
on it's own I think it looks decent, but compared to other devices I don't think it fares too well. My bf described it as looking like it's from the future in the 80's :P
Exactly... compared to the Sony Reader it's a dog...

But it really does look like something that came from a long time ago.

That being said... I think the design is functional over aesthetic. I think the button configuration is 100x better than the Sony Readers... it can be problematic at first, but after you get used to the way to hold it it's just great.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
cheesy bad
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I don't have a Kindle and I don't really like its appearance but I do wish people got over that. Once you're reading it's only the text that you see and further still you loose all sight of the words to be obnubilated with visions of a story going through your head.
Once there what matters of designs and appearances? Those visions are the pleasure that makes it worth something, be it paper, computer or electronic reader.
The Kindle is way OK in my book.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
binzer
Zealot

Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
Two delightful looks!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
sheureka
sheureka is on a distinguished road

Odd - I've had two friends whose first response when seeing it was "it's so elegant". - sheureka
sheureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Design of the Kindle.

I vote for 1 of course. I think it looks great. You have to consider the functional reqiuirement first, and then see how well it meets that plus at the same time has good looks. I've liked the design from the day I got mine also. But I keep reading abouit people who don't -- or wish Apple had designed it (I don't ).

In short, I like it just as it is. I do think the edge switches could be better placed, but I'm so used to the way it is, that it is no problem to me, and in fact is great for holding in my right hand, using my right thumb to page forward.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirits View Post
Lets do a vote of those who have the Kindle

Who here believes that the kindle looks:
1. Good
2. Bad

I remember when I was unpacking the Kindle, i thought it looked great! Especially with the bright white touch.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
binzer
Zealot

How do you guys think it would compare in black? When I imagine it in black it looks a lot more modern, not to mention that light plastics sometimes start to look dirty after a lot of use. Overall I would say the current looks are mediocre, and if I saw one for the first time I probably wouldn't feel inclined to comment on them (either positively or negatively). Maybe Amazon is saving up some "coolness" for version two.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've added in the poll that was left out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Looks fine. Taste great!
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've added in the poll that was left out.
That's the thing, people who doesn't have the Kindle or are Anti-Kindle (such as the Cybook people) will start voting, so i didn't bother figuring out how to add in the poll

Last edited by spirits; 03-08-2008 at 09:50 PM.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote