Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: what shoulf be my first read this weekend??
The Lost Symbol 9 24.32%
The Hobbit 19 51.35%
The Amulet of Samarkand 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
elcartero227
elcartero227 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The lost symbol. Worth read??

I recently acquired "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. I have read the earlier books by the author like
-deception point
-digital fortress
-da vinci code
-angels and demons.

I loved them.

Though I would end up reading it up sometime or other, I thought if someone could give me a feedback of the book, so I can create a reading order of the books I have lined up for this month.
elcartero227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
jineapple
Enthusiast
jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I personally disliked it quite much. I haven't expected much from Dan Brown though and it was like I expected. From reading Amazon reviews, it seems most agree that it's weaker than its predecessors, or at least there is nothing new. If you liked the other books I'll guess you'll like this too though.

I'd personally go with the Amulet of Samarkand
jineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
graycyn
Guru
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Samsung Galaxy Note, Kobo Aura HD, Nook HD+, Nexus 7 (2013)
I did not care for it myself, definitely weaker than some of his others.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I got through it, kept expecting it to improve, but no. Not recommended.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle GDX, Kindle 3, KPW, Nook HD+
Go with The Hobbit. A good classic fantasy. Good setup for The Lord of the Rings the next month.
jgaiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
I found it to be an enjoyable piece of nonsense, although I guessed the outcome in advance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I thought that the Lost Symbol was ok. Not great, but I did finish the book. Both the Hobbit and the Amulet of Samarkand are excellent books. Both are more young adult books, but both with very different feels. I recommend both.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
I ranked it as 2 out of 5 stars back in 2009 so I didn't like it as much as his other books. I can't recall why except maybe I had higher expectations for the plot since I do enjoy the National Treasure movies. But, since you appear to be a Dan Brown fan, then I still recommend you read it and form your own opinion. The Amazon reviews seem to be rather evenly distributed so it may be quite to your liking after all.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
I would rate as 3.5 out of 5 myself... enjoyed it but would not pay a fortune for it.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook*, nexus 10
I can't remember what the book was about, so I gather I didn't enjoy it much.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Mel-
Mel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
I thought it was okay. Definitely not as good as his other work
Mel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Had trouble finishing the Lost Symbol, while I have re-read the Hobbit at least 10 times.

Hence: the Hobbit it is.
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
Hampshire Nanny
Addict
Hampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trolls

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
It's so rare that I see a poll like this where I've read all the books listed. Of the three, I definitely liked The Amulet of Samarkand the best. I read The Hobbit, but didn't like it enough to go on and read the entire Rings Trilogy -- though I did enjoy the movies! And, like many others, I found The Lost Symbol a light-weight book, enjoyable enough but nothing to rave about.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Mookie
Major Major
Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW
I'm hit or miss with Dan Brown. "The Lost Symbol" was a derivative miss for me.
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 FHD (aka 2013, 2nd gen), Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy s3
Easy "Pass" on the Lost Symbol

I think that, prior to the Lost Symbol, Digital Fortress was easily his weakest book. (But, it was still an enjoyable read, and it was memorable. I never had to question: "have I read this before?)

With The Lost Symbol, I could never remember if/that I had read it already (and its a recent book!) twice I actually started reading it again before I realized a few pages in that I'd read it.

I'm the type that's happy to re-read a book I've read and enjoyed before, in some cases many, many times. The only re-readable book of Dan Brown's is the Da Vinci Code. All the others have similar elements, but none of them really nailed the characters and the plot development like that one.

I voted for the Hobbit. That's a classic and you could reread it every so many years enjoyably - it never gets old.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote