Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
TESimation
TESimation began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy S4, Retina iPad
One short story per page problem

I had no other idea of what to title this thread. I expect theres a really easy method of doing this, but I didnt want to poke around too much because I'm new with Sigil and it can be frustrating fixing my own errors.

Simply put, say I convert a pdf to an ePub of a book filled with short stories. Each link in the TOC takes you to its respective short story, sure. But if a short story ends, somewhere in the middle of the page, leaving room for the title of the next story to be filled in; how can I prevent that from happening. If the story ends mid page, I want to have to turn to the next page, where the title is neatly at the top, for the next short story. So do I achieve this by simply... spacing out the beginnings and ends, or is there a more convenient way of doing this? Im as new to Sigil as it gets, so I really would appreciate the help.
TESimation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Place a chapter break between the end of one story and the start of the next.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Turtle91
Guru
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5/iPad 1&2/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Or very simply, put each story in its own file. Put the title in a header <h2> and sigil will *almost* take care of everything else (eg TOC creation) for you.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
ZoeRochelle
Sigil Addict
ZoeRochelle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad 3rd Gen
There's more than one way to do this. My 2 favorites are:

Add the declaration "page-break-before:always" to the css for the title of each story. For example:

If your story titles are enclosed in the h2 tag:

Code:
<h2>Title of Story</h2>
then on your stylesheet.css file add:

Code:
h2 {
   page-break-before:always
   }
Another way is to split each story into its own file:

In the toolbar find Edit --> Split at Cursor. After you place the cursor at the end of a story, split the file by clicking on "Split at Cursor". Do this for all of the stories. Each file will automatically start on a new page in your reader.

There are ways to use the find and replace to do this quicker but this is the basic way.
ZoeRochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
phossler
Addict
phossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: kindle
I just learned how to use search and replace to split a large file into chapter files, using (for example) H2 tags

Search :
<h2>

Replace :
<hr class="sigilChapterBreak" />
<h2>

and after that F6 or Tools>Split on Chapter markers.

Very handy

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote