Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
ac9ts
Enthusiast
ac9ts began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Can't DL books from Amazon

My mom has a problem with her Kindle in that she can't download books from Amazon. She can download other content (games, etc.) but not books. I haven't looked at it yet but I thought I'd ask so I have a place to start looking. I have a rooted Xoom so I know some in and outs but not many with the Kindle. Any clues?
ac9ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
We need to know more about the symptoms. At what stage in the process is it failing? Is she buying books from the Kindle, or is she attempting to download books from the Archive?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've had problems on two separate Kindles. Books purchased or sent from the Manage My Kindle page would not arrive. No deliveries were shown as pending. I did have WiFi access and could get the store on the devices. I could use the Kindle to download directly from the archive.

In both cases I notified Kindle support. At some point, between a few days and a week, everything that I had purchased or tried to send started downloading. I don't know if Kindle support did something, or some kink in the system spontaneously unkinked.
Fluribus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
ac9ts
Enthusiast

Thanks so far. Like I said, I haven't looked at it yet but I'll fill in the blanks once I have the thing in my hands. I was just looking for a head start.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
ac9ts
Enthusiast

More info. We did a factory reset and the problem is still there. When you press Newstand or books, and then press Store, it comes back to the empty bookshelf view. If you press Music, Video, or Apps and then press Store, it goes to the respective store where things can be downloaded. Buying Music, video, and apps from the web (on a PC, not through the Kindle) also works where the purchase is pushed to the device. Books that are purchased on the web do not get pushed.

The system software is 6.3.2_user_4110520 if this helps. I'm assuming this is the latest as the Update your kindle button is grayed out.

I even loaded a .mobi through the USB and it does not show up on the bookshelf.

I have just rooted the device so if there is a backdoor in that would be useful, it's available.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by ac9ts; 07-25-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
TimW
Guru
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHD8.9, KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac9ts View Post
More info. We did a factory reset and the problem is still there. When you press Newstand or books, and then press Store, it comes back to the empty bookshelf view. If you press Music, Video, or Apps and then press Store, it goes to the respective store where things can be downloaded. Buying Music, video, and apps from the web (on a PC, not through the Kindle) also works where the purchase is pushed to the device. Books that are purchased on the web do not get pushed.

The system software is 6.3.2_user_4110520 if this helps. I'm assuming this is the latest as the Update your kindle button is grayed out.

I even loaded a .mobi through the USB and it does not show up on the bookshelf.

I have just rooted the device so if there is a backdoor in that would be useful, it's available.

Any thoughts?
System software 6.3.2 has been the first thing you've said that indicates what kind of Kindle you have. You have a first generation Kindle Fire. Loading books by USB may possibly put them under the "Docs" tab. However, since you've rooted it, I don't know how to proceed. Was it rooted before?
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
ac9ts
Enthusiast

It was not rooted before. When I tried to launch the Kindle app from the launcher (not the Kindle bookshelf), it didn't start. The app never started. I updated the Kindle app through the google play store and now it launches but it won't register. It says "This application is not registered. Trying to register it now. Please try again in a few seconds..". I installed the Kindle app on my phone and was able to register using the same credentials and was able to see the books that were linked to the account. It sounds like a corrupt file some place on the Kindle is preventing just tha Kindle book app from running properly.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
ac9ts
Enthusiast

Got it working!

I downloaded the 6.3.2 update from Amazon. I renamed it from *.bin to *.zip and stored it on the root of the SD. I booted into recovery, and tried to flash the update but it failed. I read that I had to downgrade Twrp from 2.5 which was what was installed when I rooted it to something pre-2.3. I found 2.2.2 and sided loaded it using ADB. Once I had the downgraded recovery, I wiped everything, including system, except the SD card (since that's where the update is) and flashed the 6.3.2 update. Once it completed and rebooted, I was getting repetitive force closes on android.acore. I was able to get to the system menu and did a factory reset and that cleared them up. It appears that the Kindle is back to factory fresh and the books are now on the shelf.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Good to hear it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote