Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
fwaokda
Junior Member
fwaokda began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2008
Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
PDF files on 505

I've noticed I have many pdf files I'm wanting to view on my 505. I can view them fine on a zoomed mode but, every time I turn the page it stays on that setting but the font goes smaller... then I have to click the zoom button twice so it goes back to small and then medium again. Is there a way to fix this?
fwaokda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
dexter
Junior Member
dexter began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2007
Pdf on PRS-505

Hallo,

I gave up on PRS 500 because of the absence of pdf support. Now I┤ve noticed that there is pdf support on PRS-505. Therefore it is my favorite and I am seriously considering buying the device. but before I send the order I would like to see how are the pdf┤s displaiyd.

Could somebody do me the favour and make a picture of PRS-505 displying the enclosed pdf? I read a lot of technical stuff and therefore I am affraid that the graphics will not be visible enough on the reader. therefore it would help me a lot to see it in advance.

Unfortunatelly Im from europe. therefore have no possiblity to try it by my self in some store in US.

Thanx
Attached Files
File Type: pdf web-options.pdf (476.4 KB, 444 views)
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 01-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
The Old Man
Addict
The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.
 
The Old Man's Avatar
 
Posts: 394
Karma: 95637
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Device: iPad Air, PaperWhite 2, Samsung Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
Hallo,

I gave up on PRS 500 because of the absence of pdf support. Now I┤ve noticed that there is pdf support on PRS-505. Therefore it is my favorite and I am seriously considering buying the device. but before I send the order I would like to see how are the pdf┤s displaiyd.

Could somebody do me the favour and make a picture of PRS-505 displying the enclosed pdf? I read a lot of technical stuff and therefore I am affraid that the graphics will not be visible enough on the reader. therefore it would help me a lot to see it in advance.

Unfortunatelly Im from europe. therefore have no possiblity to try it by my self in some store in US.

Thanx
I downloaded your file. Loading it into the 505 as a pdf file with no problems.
The text is so small in the S (Smallest or Standard) mode that it is impossible to read with the naked eye or with a magnifying glass. can make it out. In the M (Medium) font size you can barely make it out with a magnifying glass. I would judge this as useless.

Running your pdf through libprs500 produced a smaller file that could easily be read except the formatting of tables was gone, formulas became useless to decipher and, overall, except for straight forward text, was pretty bad.

I know you would like to see a picture but, honestly, there is not much to photograph that woulds show up. Sorry.

I have a couple of books in pdf format and they all are useless when loading directly into the 505. The text is too small to read! If all the book or document is just text, then using libprs500 produces a suitable read.

Last edited by The Old Man; 01-20-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: additional material
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
dexter
Junior Member
dexter began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2007
Thank you for the try. I suppose the landscape mode does not help as well.

I will probably have to go for iRex which has bigger display.

Thanx again

Dexter
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
The Old Man
Addict
The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.
 
The Old Man's Avatar
 
Posts: 394
Karma: 95637
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Device: iPad Air, PaperWhite 2, Samsung Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
Thank you for the try. I suppose the landscape mode does not help as well.

I will probably have to go for iRex which has bigger display.

Thanx again

Dexter
Attached is a scan of your PDF file in landscape mode. It is in the M (Medium) font. you cannot get any larger with PDF.

My tired old eyes cannot read this with my glasses. Using a magnifying glass, it is possible to read. However, I notice the page turns slowed up a bit when tying to page rapidly. Turning at a "normal" read was still a bit slower than you would expect with an eBook.
Overall, the Sony does a VERY poor job of displaying PDF files!

I will add this: What the reader does display is an exact copy of the PDF file. You have it just as it appears on the computer screen. Just too small to read and no option to make it larger even with scrolling which is not available with the PDF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader_landscape.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	9439  

Last edited by The Old Man; 01-21-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Additional info
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Skaukatt
Skaukatt
Skaukatt began at the beginning.
 
Skaukatt's Avatar
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Device: PRS-505
I would wait for the new Sony 505 firmware update coming out soon (date unspecified).
This new update is supposed to give better pdf support among other things.

I have the Sony 505. I downloaded the web-options.pdf link from the start of this thread, and ran it
though several programs. I got the best results from a conversion program called RasterFarian,
which converts the pdf as a rasterized sony reader ebook lrf file.
The RasterFarian program has a history and Strong abilities.
(http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=rasterfarian)

The settings I used were:
2) Normal
Auto crop the file?
Yes
Arrange as:
2) split into halfs

Level of post processing:
1) Full

Level of boldness:
12) light

Enter a page for preview
10

You don't have to own a Sony 505 reader to see what the results are like.
Download and Install both the Sony eBook Library software and the
RasterFarian program. Do a Conversion with RasterFarian. It will give you a good idea of what can
be achieved.
I was able to read your pdf ok with the Sony 505 screen in Landscape mode.. The print was on the small
side. The print was bigger then a home mortgage contract or a prescription medicine disclaimer.
There is software called LaTeX, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) that some use to reformat their
pdf's into a more e-reader friendly format. Its not something I have experience with.
The Sony 505 doesn't have as much screen real-estate as the iRex iLiad or the soon to come out Hanlin
eReader V9, yet if one was to buy a pair of cheap 2.00 Strength reading glasses to go with their Sony
Reader they might find a more Compact, less expensive e-reader solution for their pdf's. I bought my
Sony 505 as Ever-changing Electronic Paperback Book.

The programs I use most on my 505 are:
1.) libprs500, its the single best program for the Sony Reader.
2.) Bullzip PDF Printer driver, its freeware and its append mode it great!
3.) Web2Book, it downloads feeds and web pages.
4.) Sony eBook Library software, its clunky but has its benefit's.
5.) RasterFarian
Skaukatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 64,009
Karma: 42472847
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
Hallo,

I gave up on PRS 500 because of the absence of pdf support. Now I┤ve noticed that there is pdf support on PRS-505. Therefore it is my favorite and I am seriously considering buying the device. but before I send the order I would like to see how are the pdf┤s displaiyd.
Huh? PDF support on the 505 is exactly the same as it was on the 500. Could you elaborate?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 64,009
Karma: 42472847
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaukatt View Post
The Sony 505 doesn't have as much screen real-estate as the iRex iLiad or the soon to come out Hanlin
eReader V9,
The Hanlin V9 isn't going to be released until June at the very earliest, and perhaps considerably later than that. PVI (the screen manufacturer) are at full production capacity making 6" screens for the Sony, Gen3, Kindle, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
dexter
Junior Member
dexter began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2007
Hi,

thank you for the support. the visual on the pictuar is very poor indeed (very hard to read). The RasterFarian is probably the only option as you say. If it can split the picture in half and display it as the supported format, I belive it works.

Thanx again

Dexter
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Ret's Avatar
 
Posts: 78
Karma: 480
Join Date: Dec 2004
Yes, PDF support is not very useful on the 505. Have you noticed that you get the "ghosting" effect while displaying PDF files and not with LRF files?
Hope they improve this on the next firmware
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter
 
Mike's Place's Avatar
 
Posts: 58
Karma: 113
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco, East Bay
Device: PRS-505
Why hasn't anyone mentioned PDFLRFwin... am I missing something? Its the only thing I use to process math books and papers. It does a good job on graphs and tables too.

I tried to download the weboptions pdf above, but the server was unresponsive. If I can get it I'll process it for you and post the LRF file and a picture of the reader.

PDFLRFwin-0.99

Mike
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
dexter
Junior Member
dexter began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2007
hi,

that would be great. I post the file again.

thanx
Attached Files
File Type: pdf web-options.pdf (476.4 KB, 258 views)
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter
 
Mike's Place's Avatar
 
Posts: 58
Karma: 113
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco, East Bay
Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
hi,

that would be great. I post the file again.

thanx
Okay, here it is treated with PDFLFRwin-0.99. This processor removes margins and rotates the text 90 degrees to maximize the size of letters. Your document has a logo on each page and side-text, so most documents will look better than this. You can get PDFLRFwin at this link:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135

Make sure you get version 0.99 and not simply 0.9

You will also like Libprs500 by Kovidgoyal. I'm using it to automatically fetch my favorite news to my Reader, but it does a lot more. If you like it don't forget to send him a little donation. Get it here.

https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/download_windows

You can also use libprs500 to view the LRF file below.

And here is your file:
Attached Files
File Type: lrf web-options.lrf (1.84 MB, 394 views)

Last edited by Mike's Place; 02-06-2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: want to include a location for an LRF
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #14
obelix
Connoisseur
obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.
 
Posts: 64
Karma: 1695
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
Yes, PDF support is not very useful on the 505. Have you noticed that you get the "ghosting" effect while displaying PDF files and not with LRF files?
Hope they improve this on the next firmware
Yes, the reason is unoptimized palette and gray background in PDF images.
have a look at my study of the rendering in PRS-500 and PRS-505:

http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/rendering.html

Here is one of the findings (gray background in PDF):




obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #15
alanine
Connoisseur
alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 54
Karma: 399
Join Date: Sep 2007
Device: iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by obelix View Post
Yes, the reason is unoptimized palette and gray background in PDF images.
Interesting, I wonder why they did this in the first place? kind of stupid if you ask me.
alanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eBook PDF - free tool for creating PDF eBooks from text files KACartlidge PDF 6 01-04-2012 09:41 AM
PRS-505 Lost!! Buy 300, 600, Kindle or 505? have a lot LRF/LRX files erikk Which one should I buy? 13 10-01-2009 12:01 PM
PRS-700 vs PRS-505 for PDF files? LucidDreams Sony Reader 10 01-31-2009 05:16 AM
PDF Files. AndyCapon iRex 16 06-20-2008 07:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.