Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
SeanKSeanK
Junior Member
SeanKSeanK began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA (93.1 E, 45.0 N)
Device: Samsung Galaxy S2; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
Copying "Calibre Settings" from Calibre Win7 to new OSX 10.8 installation

Greetings,

I'm lucky enough to have access to a subtantial number of ebooks from work (IT related) and have accumulated a number of ebooks in disparate formats since starting to read them on a Palm Pilot (aging myself here.)

I have been a user of Caliber for some time; it's a great tool for organizing thousands of ebooks. I had been using the portable version on Win7 as it had been a bit easier for keeping and backing up my library.

I've just gotten a Mac laptop after using mostly Win and Linux machines for 15 years and am trying to transfer my books and fairly extensive custom metdata to the new beast.



My problem is this: it's fairly clear where I put the "Calibre Library" folder on the Mac; where to I put the "Calibre Settings" folder?

I'm concerned about doing this incorrectly and losing the custom metadata.

Many thanks,

SK
SeanKSeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,588
Karma: 5126946
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The (original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKSeanK View Post
Greetings,

I'm lucky enough to have access to a subtantial number of ebooks from work (IT related) and have accumulated a number of ebooks in disparate formats since starting to read them on a Palm Pilot (aging myself here.)

I have been a user of Caliber for some time; it's a great tool for organizing thousands of ebooks. I had been using the portable version on Win7 as it had been a bit easier for keeping and backing up my library.

I've just gotten a Mac laptop after using mostly Win and Linux machines for 15 years and am trying to transfer my books and fairly extensive custom metdata to the new beast.



My problem is this: it's fairly clear where I put the "Calibre Library" folder on the Mac; where to I put the "Calibre Settings" folder?

I'm concerned about doing this incorrectly and losing the custom metadata.

Many thanks,

SK
Your custom metadata is IN the Library folder (metadata.db)

Preferences includes your user settings, plugins and their settings

If calibre has been installed:
Preferences: Miscellaneous: click the button;
LEAVE THE FOLDER OPEN
Shutdown Calibre
Replace the contents with your backup (from the old system)
Run Calibre (adjust the Library location setting if asked
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
SeanKSeanK
Junior Member
SeanKSeanK began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA (93.1 E, 45.0 N)
Device: Samsung Galaxy S2; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
Moving the goods to the Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your custom metadata is IN the Library folder (metadata.db)

Preferences includes your user settings, plugins and their settings

If calibre has been installed:
Preferences: Miscellaneous: click the button;
LEAVE THE FOLDER OPEN
Shutdown Calibre
Replace the contents with your backup (from the old system)
Run Calibre (adjust the Library location setting if asked
That makes sense; I'll give it a whirl and let you know what I find!

Thanks,

SK
SeanKSeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
SeanKSeanK
Junior Member
SeanKSeanK began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA (93.1 E, 45.0 N)
Device: Samsung Galaxy S2; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
Xfer from WIn to Mac: Calibre Portable "Calibre Settings" folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your custom metadata is IN the Library folder (metadata.db)

Preferences includes your user settings, plugins and their settings

If calibre has been installed:
Preferences: Miscellaneous: click the button;
LEAVE THE FOLDER OPEN
Shutdown Calibre
Replace the contents with your backup (from the old system)
Run Calibre (adjust the Library location setting if asked
Just to make sure I understand: I don't need to do anything with the Calibre Portable "Calibre Settings" folder?

Thanks,

SK
SeanKSeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
SeanKSeanK
Junior Member
SeanKSeanK began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA (93.1 E, 45.0 N)
Device: Samsung Galaxy S2; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
I think I have it now; the metadata is as you said. The "settings" folder is for plugins??
SeanKSeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
SeanKSeanK
Junior Member
SeanKSeanK began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA (93.1 E, 45.0 N)
Device: Samsung Galaxy S2; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
CORRECTION:

You already said this before; apologies that I didn't spot it initially.

I assume I need to reinstall all plugins and that there isn't a way to export them?

Many thanks,

SK
SeanKSeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,588
Karma: 5126946
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The (original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKSeanK View Post
CORRECTION:

You already said this before; apologies that I didn't spot it initially.

I assume I need to reinstall all plugins and that there isn't a way to export them?

Many thanks,

SK
The Jury is out on weter you neewd to 'install' the plugins again
*IF*
you copied the entire contents of Configuration... You copied allo the installed PI and their configurations
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
calibre settings folder, mac osx 10.8, transfer to mac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calibre Portable and copying settings to another computer Joanna Calibre 5 01-11-2013 07:33 PM
How to define the "Start" or "Beginning" page in Calibre paul_01 Conversion 3 09-09-2012 10:04 PM
"Settings," then "311" - Int'l Kindle searches for wireless providers in the area Dr. Drib Amazon Kindle 2 08-28-2011 10:27 AM
Getting calibre to detect "Prologue" and "Epilogue" for TOC sherman Calibre 2 09-20-2010 02:21 AM
cannot open calibre on osx 10.6-- "Calibre is already running" message jlip Calibre 4 01-02-2010 11:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.