Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Sony PRS-350
As they all use Adobe DRM I'd imagine its the same process to get your books from all those shops so none are any less "painful"?

I bought one book from WH Smith a long time ago pre-Kobo (and can't remember what I did with it anyway!), but more recently, when I bought epubs from Books On Board my process was to buy the book, click on the .acsm file to load it into Adobe Reader, locate the .epub file in My Digital Editions and then load it into Calibre.

I *think* they will all be the same. Though Nook is different, I'd avoid them if I were you, and just be careful you don't get the kepub version of a book from Kobo (though I think it's fairly obvious what version you are getting, Kobo users will be able to tell you more).

However, I think your logic on buying epubs instead of Kindle format is flawed. As others have advised, buy on price, not some idea that epubs are better and you are supporting the development of epub (its only better in terms of it being an open format, and if you own a Kindle, that is a pointless benefit, and you are only supporting the shop you buy from, not the development of the format).

Last edited by soulfuldog; 07-07-2013 at 07:46 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
avid01
Zealot
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain, please, how the money you pay for a book goes "directly to ePub development"?
Fixed.

Edit: the book is not cheaper on Amazon by a single cent.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
Turtle91
Guru
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5/iPad 1&2/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain, please, how the money you pay for a book goes "directly to ePub development"?
Hard to 'directly' contribute...but...'indirectly' if the industry sees that ePub format is outselling the others by a large margin then those industries will tend to prefer ePubs. This would then squeeze out the competing formats.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Hard to 'directly' contribute...but...'indirectly' if the industry sees that ePub format is outselling the others by a large margin then those industries will tend to prefer ePubs. This would then squeeze out the competing formats.
So what has got you so bitter that you want the other formats squeezed out?

Just curious.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I *think* they will all be the same.
Anything that gives you an .acsm file is using Adobe's system and will be the same process regardless of the store.

Quote:
Though Nook is different, I'd avoid them if I were you...
Why do you say that? The DRM Nook uses is one of the least painful to deal with (I use B&N/Nook US). You don't have to deal with .acsm files or having a special piece of software to download the actual book.

The Nook's DRM system is a variation (essentially an updated version) of the DRM developed and used by eReader for their eReader .pdb format. Which means you don't have to any phone home validation.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
Difflugia
Guru
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK HD running CM10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The DRM Nook uses is one of the least painful to deal with (I use B&N/Nook US). You don't have to deal with .acsm files or having a special piece of software to download the actual book.
I use B&N, too. I download books using the PC app and import them into Calibre, though the PC app has been kind of spotty lately and that concerns me a little. One reason I like B&N is that there doesn't seem to be a limit to the number of times any book can be downloaded, while some other stores have unpublished limits (often three or six depending on publisher).

I also like ebooks.com. They still carry PDFs when available and that's actually my preferred format. Furthermore, you can download all available formats with a single purchase. The downside is that they're full retail price all the way, so they only get my business when I really want a PDF or when the book is from a publisher that forces everyone to sell at the same price. As a kind of aside, their Adobe system must be configured differently than everyone else's because you can download a book multiple times to multiple Adobe IDs (I haven't activated Digital Editions with an email address, so each of my computers has a different ID).
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #22
Jane Oldaker
Zealot
Jane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a TexanJane Oldaker might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
Why not buy either according to price? I have both on my Vox and you can easily do the same on any tablet or ereader with some tablet capability.
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #23
church mouse
Zealot
church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.church mouse can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony prs-300, Kindle 3,Kobo Touch
I think I have bought from all of your listed UK sites and Waterstones is probably the easiest in my experience, but I rarely buy from it because it is more often than not more expensive on non-fixed price books.

Amazon is probably the best site I have used, but I prefer to buy elsewhere whenever there is not too much price difference.

Google books also do epub. Though selecting the epub to download is slightly longer winded than other sites.

What I love is Luzme (.com). Create a free account, set up a wishlist and it will search the best price from all the main sellers. You can have emails sent to you when the price drops below a limit you have set.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #24
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Why do you say that? The DRM Nook uses is one of the least painful to deal with (I use B&N/Nook US). You don't have to deal with .acsm files or having a special piece of software to download the actual book.
Purely because it is different, that's all. Whereas if you buy a book from Waterstones, WH Smith/Kobo or Sony, you'll deal with them all the same way. Apologies if it is in fact easier to deal with a book bought from Nook though!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Nexus 7 (2013). Wife:Kindle Paperwhite, ipad mini R
Quote:
Anything that gives you an .acsm file is using Adobe's system and will be the same process regardless of the store.

The Nook's DRM system is a variation (essentially an updated version) of the DRM developed and used by eReader for their eReader .pdb format. Which means you don't have to any phone home validation.
My take also. Nook is the best of the DRM solutions - as long as you have the credit card number you can basically un-DRM content until the end of time. And you can download epubs straight from B&N's website.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #26
avid01
Zealot
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Oldaker View Post
Why not buy either according to price? I have both on my Vox and you can easily do the same on any tablet or ereader with some tablet capability.
Did I say that prices are the exact same at all of these stores? Or maybe I said it in another topic.

I didn't get your second sentence; anyone else?

Edit. I only said http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=17
so now I hope to further clarified.

Last edited by avid01; 07-15-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #27
avid01
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
What I love is Luzme (.com). Create a free account, set up a wishlist and it will search the best price from all the main sellers. You can have emails sent to you when the price drops below a limit you have set.
Strange site.

I write
- First name, last name - it finds author
- Last name, first name - zero hits
- Word from author name, word from title - don't expect

Anyways, how it could be a good search engine if it doesn't find readily available titles on Amazon - even if I feed it with its desired format?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #28
avid01
Zealot

Quote:
Purely because it is different, that's all. Whereas if you buy a book from Waterstones, WH Smith/Kobo or Sony, you'll deal with them all the same way. Apologies if it is in fact easier to deal with a book bought from Nook though!
Do not understand your argument: different. Could you pls. elaborate on it a little more?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #29
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I use the Diesel ebook store sometimes http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Diesel have fairly frequently been lambasted on this forum for having spectacularly terrible customer service. Might be something to bear in mind, just in case something does go wrong with an order.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote