Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #76
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_Smith View Post
Anything where the heroine gets pregnant by accident, set after the 1960s. Contraception, ladies
... has a significant failure rate, even with perfect use of highly effective types.
meeera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #77
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Probably completely unfair, but I don't like books where the main is a reporter (and just happened to have put one down for this *egregious* sin. :>)

Spelling or grammar problems in the blurb, although spacing issues won't get an automatic no. (Spacing: meaning two paragraphs are together or even a missing space. I know there are problems with the entry on this sort of thing.)

I pretty much avoid zombies. I am not a fan of vamps as the main romance angle. Dead guys don't interest me. Guys who drink blood really don't interest me.

So and so "just wants to be normal." I get the whole "fit in" thing especially with YA books, but the truth is, we all want to be special, not normal. So the whole trope of "gosh, if only I weren't a witch. Gosh, I sure wish I didn't see ghosts all the time." And so on. Give me a break. For all I know ghosts are as boring as my neighbors, but it still seems like it might be interesting to chat with a few. Any time Mark Twain has some time on his hands, he's free to stop on over.

Anything that says "adult content, graphic content, torture scenes, explicit just about anything."
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #78
Jen_Smith
Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.Jen_Smith has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
... has a significant failure rate, even with perfect use of highly effective types.
But a significantly higher success rate than not bothering at all.
Jen_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #79
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Oh, I see more from the other lists. I hate love triangles. Loathe. Despise. Look, how many of us are lucky enough to know one or two great looking people who like us??? And who are actual upstanding citizens we want to know???

Maybe it's me but I can't remember being surrounded or chased by 95 men who can barely keep from drooling over me. I'm pretty sure I'd be annoyed if that happened and I'd also have to assume that I had won the lottery and no one had told me yet.

Okay, so it isn't just the love triangles (those are bad enough), it's the fact that Miss Plain Jane suddenly finds herself the center of attention for every male in the book. And every male in the book is Hollywood good-looking material. We aren't all Sookie. Thankfully.

(Same holds for books where the main guy has to fend off gorgeous women all day.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #80
DuskyRose
Evangelist
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW, Kobo Aura, Ipad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Oh, I see more from the other lists. I hate love triangles. Loathe. Despise.
Yeah, I'll pass on those as well.

I can't stand it when the person in the middle does all the whinging and hand wringing over which one they'll chose.

If they were really in love with one of their suitors, they'd know it. If they aren't really in love with one, they shouldn't chose either. Call it lust and bed hopping, and quit trying to make it noble by pretending it's love.

And quit stringing them along as well. Make it clear that it's just bed hoping. I find it horribly cruel to lead people on.

And Death Stories. There are a lot of times I get behind the main character and I don't want to have them killed off at the end. Sometimes, I don't really care about the characters, but when I do I want a HEA ending. Or at least have them survive it all. I avoid them like the plague in fanfic, don't like them in Pro fic either, although I can't say you see much of it there.

Maybe 'cause I'm good at avoiding them.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #81
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony T1, Sony 350, Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD & HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Well, there goes any historical set in England from the Saxon invasion (or should that be English Reformation?) on? I love those Anglo-Saxon names like Ethelred the Unready.
I was thinking more of contemporary fiction, you know, where Sue Johnson's ex-lover Brad Smith comes back into town, causing friction between her and her jealous fiance, Tom Watson. In the meantime, unbeknownst to Tom, she's trying to keep her attraction to the local police chief, Jim Shepherd, from his notice. To add to her stress level her mother, Edith Johnson has just been placed in a nursing home run by Dr. Mark Smith, her childhood crush (and yes, Brad and Mark are brothers).
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #82
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I was thinking more of contemporary fiction, you know, where Sue Johnson's ex-lover Brad Smith comes back into town, causing friction between her and her jealous fiance, Tom Watson. In the meantime, unbeknownst to Tom, she's trying to keep her attraction to the local police chief, Jim Shepherd, from his notice. To add to her stress level her mother, Edith Johnson has just been placed in a nursing home run by Dr. Mark Smith, her childhood crush (and yes, Brad and Mark are brothers).
I was just getting interested. Way to leave a guy hanging!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #83
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #84
LovesMacs
Evangelist
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Apache
Step 1 for literary success: do not put red flag on front or back cover.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #85
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_Smith View Post
Christian fiction is a red flag for me (except for novels based on Biblical history, which is a bit of a hobby. And, of course, doesn't count as Christian because most of them are Old Testament).
Actually, that's a very good point, especially as I made a big deal about Christian fiction a few posts ago. I'm actually very interested in novels where the bible has been the inspiration for the story.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #86
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you're a fan of fantasy at all, try George Bryan Polivka's Trophy Chase Trilogy. This coming from someone who does not--in any way--consider himself a Christian. They were recommended to me based on someone's enjoyment alone (or at least I think so). I didn't find out until later that they were published by a "Christian" publishing house.
Unfortunately not available as an ebook but I clicked on the "I would like..." link for all three books. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not so much into traditional fantasies these days, but that doesn't mean I don't partake from time to time.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #87
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Unfortunately not available as an ebook but I clicked on the "I would like..." link for all three books. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not so much into traditional fantasies these days, but that doesn't mean I don't partake from time to time.
Sorry, I never even thought to check if they were available as ebooks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #88
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1 & Samsung Galaxy 5 media player
No synopsis...even a brief one...is a red flag for me. I, as others have said, don't want to read about the author's cat...I really don't care unless I like the book but the author spends more time with that damn cat than writing the next book in the series...it's the cat's fault.

Books containing less and less words but the price keeps going up...mainly by big name authors. I'm no longer buying their books.

Books that waste too many words trying to come across as a college course trying to "educate" me. I'm reading a damn syfy...hehehe...book...IT'S FREAKIN' SYFY...imaginary...stop the dissertations on light speed mechanics that go on for an entire chapter...I want to read and immerse myself in the "fiction" that is the story not made up crap...just going for more words to charge more in my opinion.
I'll add the Grantville Gazette to this. There are fewer and fewer stories. The stories are getting shorter and shorter. They add treatises on religion, warfare, weaponry, etc. that go on and on but to me are boring but they still charge an arm and a leg. I'm about done with the GG...too bad...I have every one, including the latest, which I read in an afternoon, what a rip off but they still charge the same.

I don't mind the occasional spelling error and/or grammar "oops" but when sentences are repeated, too many words are incorrectly spelled, etc. I wonder if the publisher cares about the quality of the book they are offering and/or promoting.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #89
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
This morning I came across one with 12 double-spaced single-line pull-quotes from reviews. (Do I win today's hyphen award?) Underneath all those was the actual description.

But it was free, and the description itself was actually of good quality. So I got it anyway.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #90
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony T1, Sony 350, Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD & HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was just getting interested. Way to leave a guy hanging!
Well, not to leave a guy hanging :

Dr. Mark Smith, who has a secret gambling addiction, is deeply in debt to the local mob boss, Lefty Jones. As his debt increases, he begins to embezzle the funds of the nursing home. Head nurse Jane Walker, who has been in love with Dr. Smith for years, has been covering up for him, but new nurse Patty Hall has become suspicious of the recent cut-backs in care and has voiced her suspicions to reporter Bill Stone. Unfortunately for Patty, she also mentioned her suspicions to Nurse Jane who quickly contacts Lefty. Lefty decides to sent his henchman, Joe James, to encourage Patty to "forget"....
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote