Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
hm I can't get it to work. My modifications always end in an endless loading loop after the update.

Would be nice if someone can upload a working patchfile.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
hm I can't get it to work. My modifications always end in an endless loading loop after the update.

Sorry, I cannot do it now. I am away from my pc, and will not return before Monday. I guess somebody else will send you the modified file or patch file. Anyway, you have to specify exactly which FW you are using. I guess 2.6.1, but is it a or b? This is importan! It just comes to my mind that this might be the reason that your modificaton does not work. Is it possible your devices are on 2.6.1a, but you are modifying the libnickle of 2.6.1b? 2.6.1a, mark 4, is not anylonger available for download. If you do not have a copy of 2.6.1a, you should update to 2.6.1b (you might have been forced to do this already!).

Are you aware of the limitation, not being able to select text in the last line of the page? See my previous post.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Try this. I only modified the settings for the Glo. Not sure about optimal values, Set from 82px to 42px. 30 margin.
Gives an additional line of text.
Firmware version 2.6.1b

Note: This is a serious modification. It works here with minimal testing. But please only use it if you know what you're doing, and have a backup plan.
Attached Files
File Type: zip libnickel-smallfoot-koboglo.zip (7.75 MB, 367 views)

Last edited by xor_; 07-04-2013 at 07:03 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #19
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

I was trying to modifiy 2.5.1 which was the last version that has no header margin afaik.
So if anyone has a modified version of that one, it would be perfect.

But your upload for 2.6.1b is appreciated xor_, gives me the chance to test it, and perhabs figure out what i did wrong.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I'm assuming to try this out you have to do a factory reset and manually update the FW?
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
If you have a telnet/ssh setup, you can just copy your modified libnickel to /usr/local/Kobo/ and reboot.

Or you can put it into a KoboRoot.tgz, and do a partial update. Factory reset shouldn't be required.

Having a backup option is a good idea, though.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Ah, ok. Is there a guide somewhere on how to use ssh/telnet to do this? Would the backup option be to simply make sure to backup the files before editing them?

Or, if someone would be so generous as to upload the update file for the Aura on FW 2.5.1, that would be awesome.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #23
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Do you think is it possible to add an

PHP Code:
@import url("/mnt/onboard/.kobo/Kobo/userStyle.css"
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
Or, if someone would be so generous as to upload the update file for the Aura on FW 2.5.1, that would be awesome.
Since nickel is proprietary software, I think that would be against the forum rules.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
If you have a telnet/ssh setup, you can just copy your modified libnickel to /usr/local/Kobo/ and reboot.

Or you can put it into a KoboRoot.tgz, and do a partial update. Factory reset shouldn't be required.

Having a backup option is a good idea, though.
You can also hack the firmware archive directly (don't forget to duplicate the firmware).
Use file archiver 7-Zip as it can read and save tgz/tar archives.
E.g.
1. Open kobo-update-2.5.1.zip with 7-Zip
2. Open (double click) KoboRoot.tgz
3. Open (double click) KoboRoot.tar
3. navigate to the file you want to hack, edit it (right mouse button > edit; or press F4) with your favorite (hex) editor.
4. When done, press save in the editor and close it.
5. When prompted "File has <file name> changed. Update the archive? Click yes. Do this for all archives.
6. Copy the modded firmware to your reader (just as a regular update): KoboRoot.tgz and folder 'upgrade'.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #26
ewphoenix123
Addict

Did anyone manage to change the size of the header in 2.6.1?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #27
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's been a while I'm trying, but I can't find the right setting. It should be totally possible however.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #28
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Did anyone manage to change the size of the header in 2.6.1?
I second this. On the old Touch the header size of fw 2.6.1 is still the same as fw 2.5.2, the firmware that introduced the header. I would like the header back to the size of fw 2.5.1.
Maybe this top header/margin issue only applies to devices that use the Mark 3 Hardware (Original Touch N905, N905B Models) and not for Mark 4 Hardware ( Aura/Glo/Mini/Touch N905C Model). Mark 4 hardware devices seem to have reduced header/top margins compaired to fw 2.5.2.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Do you think is it possible to add an

PHP Code:
@import url("/mnt/onboard/.kobo/Kobo/userStyle.css"
^ Aehm... someone?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #30
giorgio130
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I second this. On the old Touch the header size of fw 2.6.1 is still the same as fw 2.5.2, the firmware that introduced the header. I would like the header back to the size of fw 2.5.1.
Maybe this top header/margin issue only applies to devices that use the Mark 3 Hardware (Original Touch N905, N905B Models) and not for Mark 4 Hardware ( Aura/Glo/Mini/Touch N905C Model). Mark 4 hardware devices seem to have reduced header/top margins compaired to fw 2.5.2.
So the header size went bigger from 2.5.2 onwards? should be enough to find it by looking at a diff. But, are you speaking about kepubs or normal epubs?