Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #331
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
For those who want to know what is adjusted:
  • run.sh is added to the main directory. It is an empty script. In it you can put commands which will be executed just before Nickel starts.
  • toggle_markismus.sh is added to the .kobo\koreader directory. It switches out the orignal versus the changed scripts. You can add or delete lua-scripts you do (not) want to toggle.
    1. credocument.lua in .kobo/koreader/frontend/document is changed. Two lines are added to the last part enabling sh- and lua-scripts to be read in koreader.
    2. screen.lua in /.kobo/koreader/frontend/ui is changed. In line 104 the dpi for the Aura is set to either "return 235" or "return 265".
    3. filechooser.lua in .kobo\koreader\frontend\ui\widget is changed. In line 8 "show_hidden = true" is toggled with "show_hidden = false".
    4. menu.lua in .kobo\koreader\frontend\ui\widget is changed at 4 lines.
      1. In line 69 ("cfont", 22) is toggled with ("cfont", 35). This controls the size of the -[X]-
      2. In line 96 ("cfont", 22) is toggled with ("cfont", 28). I don't know when this is used.
      3. In line 209 ("cfont", 22) is toggled with ("cfont", 28). This is the size of the file names in filemanager.
      4. In line 211 ("tfont", 25) is toggled with ("tfont", 35). This is the size of the title, e.g. "Filemanager".
I don't get the point of lowering dpi and then set all fonts to bigger values. Why don't you leave dpi as it is or even increase it? This way everything would scale as a consequence, including the touch area for the [X].

Regarding making hidden folders visible, I think the best thing would be to add an option to the menu of the filemanager. And for the time being, while that option is not there yet (and the menu is difficult to reach), just point the script launching koreader to the hidden folder you're interested into.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #332
Markismus
Disjunctive Undecidedness
Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cracked Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
I don't get the point of lowering dpi and then set all fonts to bigger values. Why don't you leave dpi as it is or even increase it?
Answer is "the invisible strikeout" in Aura HD. At dpi 235 and cfont 24 there is no strikeout. At dpi 265 strikeout slices through the bottom of all letters at cfont 22.

Quote:
Regarding making hidden folders visible, I think the best thing would be to add an option to the menu of the filemanager.
Unfortunately I have only seen the filemanager menu once, about 2 weeks ago. Never seen it since. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love it!

Quote:
And for the time being, while that option is not there yet (and the menu is difficult to reach), just point the script launching koreader to the hidden folder you're interested into.
I am interested in a lot of hidden folders: .kobo is one of them, but I also maintained the same library setup as I have on my PC, only with added starting dots.

Giorgio130, I agree on the whole that in the future everything should be integrated and downloadable from post #1. For now we'll have to hack it, until there is 1 good install.

Last edited by Markismus; 07-21-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #333
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Answer is "the invisible strikeout" in Aura HD. At dpi 235 and cfont 24 there is no strikeout. At dpi 265 strikeout slices through the bottom of all letters at cfont 22.
I'll try to investigate this issue as soon as I can, but I still can't reproduce it on my glo.

Quote:
I am interested in a lot of hidden folders: .kobo is one of them, but I also maintained the same library setup as I have on my PC, only with added starting dots.
To avoid processing by nickel, it is sufficient that the main folder is hidden.
So you could just put your entire library in .kobo, and point the filemanager to .kobo/library. From there you can always touch .. and get to .kobo.

Quote:
Giorgio130, I agree on the whole that in the future everything should be integrated and downloadable from post #1. For now we'll have to hack it, until there is 1 good install.
Nothing wrong with that, just don't stop at the hack step, help us to get everything in shape
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #334
Markismus
Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.Markismus has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Quote:
I'll try to investigate this issue as soon as I can, but I still can't reproduce it on my glo.
It seems Aura specific, since cgm999 Ken Maltbey are experiencing it too. Maybe it would be more helpful for someone with an Aura to look into it.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that, just don't stop at the hack step, help us to get everything in shape
I am just starting to read lua-script. I am still too new at it to do more than a simple hack.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #335
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
Is the "File Manager" part of the CoolReader3 code or is it a separate widget altogether?
In other words would the cr3.ini and/or cr3.css have an effect on the File Manager display?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #336
BWinmill
Wizard
BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Is the "File Manager" part of the CoolReader3 code or is it a separate widget altogether?

In other words would the cr3.ini and/or cr3.css have an effect on the File Manager display?
I'm pretty sure the answer is no from two perspectives:

As far as I can tell, koreader is not CoolReader even though it uses the the CoolReader library to support several ebook formats. Koreader and its interface is an entirely separate entity.

As far as I can tell, koreader uses its own widget library for the user interface (including the file manager and reader menus). As an example, it does specify its own font and font size for elements like the buttons that make up the menu.
BWinmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #337
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is no from two perspectives:

As far as I can tell, koreader is not CoolReader even though it uses the the CoolReader library to support several ebook formats. Koreader and its interface is an entirely separate entity.

As far as I can tell, koreader uses its own widget library for the user interface (including the file manager and reader menus). As an example, it does specify its own font and font size for elements like the buttons that make up the menu.
For the record I didn't say that Koreader was CoolReader, not that that would be a bad thing.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #338
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Koreader has its own widgets, fully coded in Lua. As BWinmill said, we just use CREngine to render some of the supported document formats (the "ebook" formats, as opposed to the "ready typeset" formats like PDF and DJVU). Koreader is thus a frontend to various document renderers. CoolReader is closely entangled with CREngine, but is also more or less a frontend to the CREngine, which works as a rendering backend there, too.

The file manager, which really really could use some programming love, is Koreader's own. KindlePDFviewer, a predecessor of Koreader, was a bit further in that regard. I guess Koreader will step up to that in the following 1-2 months. A bit bigger entries, icons, maybe title page display option, metadata - a lot could be done there. KPV even hat file manager capabilites like C&P, rename, deletion, ... What's needed in the end is some programmer time.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #339
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Koreader has its own widgets, fully coded in Lua. As BWinmill said, we just use CREngine to render some of the supported document formats (the "ebook" formats, as opposed to the "ready typeset" formats like PDF and DJVU). Koreader is thus a frontend to various document renderers. CoolReader is closely entangled with CREngine, but is also more or less a frontend to the CREngine, which works as a rendering backend there, too.

The file manager, which really really could use some programming love, is Koreader's own. KindlePDFviewer, a predecessor of Koreader, was a bit further in that regard. I guess Koreader will step up to that in the following 1-2 months. A bit bigger entries, icons, maybe title page display option, metadata - a lot could be done there. KPV even hat file manager capabilites like C&P, rename, deletion, ... What's needed in the end is some programmer time.
What would seem most urgent, to my mind anyway, would be to allow a line height adjustment/setting option so it becomes easier to make selections on the touchscreen. Also moving the active areas away from the edges and working out how the DPI and font size effect the calculated touchscreen active area geometry/topography. There doesn't seem to be the direct correlation that we thought.

One approach might be to make it two steps for a selection; first the selection gets highlighted/inverted then an easy to poke "open" button to open the selected item. That way you could move your finger up and down a list "dragging" the highlight to the item on the list that you want. When you then activated the open button you could be sure of the result. Selecting a book to read would not be something that would need an instant response, so the two steps should not be unacceptable and it would allow the tighter listing, providing more selections per page. Otherwise the lines need to be spread apart so that fat fingers still work, even though it would cost lines per page.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-23-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #340
BWinmill
Wizard
BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
That's not what I meant. I feel unconfortable to create pull requests for new features on github using code I didn't write. Moreover, that code is indeed being consolidated but in many cases it is not very clean. Before merging it needs to be cleaned up and rewritten in some places. That's why it is taking me so long to add light support or suspend.
While I'd love to be ablet to contribute my own code, please keep in mind that some of us aren't really software developers. I can write simple programs and understand other people's code well enough to make one line changes, but lack the knowledge necessary to understand the structure of a larger project (such as this one). In essence, I'm making feature requests while doing a little leg work to make sure those feature requests are reasonable.
BWinmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #341
Markismus

I just upgraded to firmware 2.8.1, because I saw some updated drivers in the pack. I haven't seen any differences/improvements for now.
The upgrade deleted my entire .kobo folder. It overwrites initd.conf, rcS and on-animator.sh. While, initd.conf and animator.sh are the same as in 2.6.1., the rcS-upgrade script is changed in a number op places compared to the rcS-upgrade of version 2.6.1. However, after upgrading rcS is also identical.

1-Step-hack is not affected and also works for firmware 2.8.1

Last edited by Markismus; 07-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #342
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Kindle 3 / Nook Color
Quote:
I just upgraded to firmware 2.8.1, because I saw some updated drivers in the pack. I haven't seen any differences/improvements for now.
The upgrade now deletes the entire .kobo folder(rcS line 45: rm -rf /mnt/onboard/.kobo).
I can't confirm the deletion of the .kobo folder, mine is still there after the 2.8.1 update.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #343
Markismus

Do you mean it is again there or do you mean your previously installed koreader folder is still within .kobo?
If the second, did you also copy the upgrade folder to your .kobo or only the KoboRoot.tgz?

I've added the rcS file which is used during the upgrade. After the upgrade it is replaced by the conventional rcS-file which you can find in 1-step-hack with an added line (/mnt/onboard/run.sh )
Attached Files
File Type: rar rcS.rar (1.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Markismus; 07-25-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #344
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Kindle 3 / Nook Color
Quote:
Do you mean it is again there or do you mean your previously installed koreader folder is still within .kobo?
If the second, did you also copy the upgrade folder to your .kobo or only the KoboRoot.tgz?
Of course I meant the non-kobo content in it, like koreader.
It was all still there.
I copied also the upgrade folder.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #345
Markismus

What firmware did you use? The one from the direct firmware links on the forum?