Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
LarfinGiraffe
LarfinGiraffe began at the beginning.

Device: kobo N905
Kobo Touch N905 stuck in "powered off"

My kobo Touch is stuck at the "powered off" screen.
When I power it on I get a green flashing light for a few minutes, then nothing.
I have tried all the usual suggestions: 24-hr charging, home+power reset, paperclip reset etc etc but nothing rouses the beast. Sometimes I get a blue flashing light instead of the green one but nothing else changes.
Before I trot off down the shops and get a new one, I'm thinking that it might be worth flashing the internal sd card. After all, at this point I have nothing to lose.

I'm a complete novice at this with kobo, although I did do it with my phone a few years ago! Could someone please help me through this?

The Kobo is 15 months old bought Dec 2013, and the box says its model N905-KJP-S. I don't know where to find the serial number or IC or FCC (do I need these things?).
I have figured out how to open it and remove the SD card!
I have access to a linux box (linuxMint) and a Windows box.
Please can someone send me an image and some instructions on what to do next?

Thanks very much
LarfinGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
Do you see an internal uSD card? As I understand it, that model doesn't have one. If not, purchasing a new reader is your most rewarding choice.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
LarfinGiraffe

It does indeed have a uSD card. Sandisk 2GB with a white spot.

Edit: just to make it clear, the uSD card sits in an internal slot that requires the back off to see, not the slot at the side that is externally accessible.

Last edited by LarfinGiraffe; 03-28-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O
Ken was commenting on your report of having an "N905" Touch. There are three versions of the touch with the model numbers N905, N905B and N905C. The N905 doesn't have a removable SD card. The others do. They use different images, so we need the full model number. This is printed on the end of the Touch with the USB port.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:49 AM   #5
LarfinGiraffe

Many apologies, I hadn't understood where to find the numbers properly and was just reading the box! With the help of my son's "Where's Wally" magnifying glass, I see that its actually a N905C.
FCC ID NOIKBN905C
IC 8857A-KBN905C.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O
PM sent
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
LarfinGiraffe

Thanks very much for the image David. I tried it today. Using LinuxMint it's simply a matter of extracting the image, then double-click on the .img and Mint knows exactly what to do with it.

I installed the uSD and gave the kobo some hours to charge, then tried to turn it on.

Unfortunately I am still getting exactly the same flashing lights as I did with the old SD card, so the kobo is probably toast. If anyone has any other suggestions before I put it in the bin, please let me know.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarfinGiraffe View Post
Using LinuxMint it's simply a matter of extracting the image, then double-click on the .img and Mint knows exactly what to do with it.
I think that would frighten me. And what did it with it?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
touch