View Poll Results: Which do you preferr to read on a Tablet or Ereader
Tablet 35 17.95%
EReader 157 80.51%
Other (such as Desktop or a Laptop) 3 1.54%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, iPhone 5, Sony T1, NOOK HD+
My answer is "whatever device the book is on."

I'm not a fan of the three-steps-to-ebook-process (download, convert, upload). I'd rather download directly from/to my ebook reader. I read Kindle books on a Kindle, Sony/Baen/etc books on a Sony (T1), and everything else either on my Sony (505) or one of my iOS devices (phone or tablet.) I'm pretty even across the board with what I use for my reading.

Therefore, I have no preference (and no option in the poll. I guess I'm not the poll target. )
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
pastanley
Connoisseur
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung pro 8.4, Kindle PW
I used to be a tablet only reader until I noticed a few shortcommings (mainly the short battery life on tablets). Now Im a dedicated eink reader
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Ereader, because the tablet will die sooner and has glare. The ereader was specifically designed to overcome these downsides to a tablet, specifically for the purpose of reading, and it does that!
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I pick my kindle over both tablet and books for reading, it's just so convenient.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I prefer to read on my Kindle Keyboard.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
SteveEisenberg
Wizard
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Tablets have too much to distract you from your book
Depends on who the "you" is.

The long book I am now reading off and on is paper. So any device is a distraction from that

My Kindle Keyboard 3G has plenty to distract me, what with multiple news sources obtained via purchase from Amazon, Calibre news downloads, downloads from the like of longform.org, and text-based web sites. A tablet without cell-phone network internet might have fewer distractions away from book reading for me.

Advantages of eInk of course include battery life and price.

Man does not read by book alone.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
teh603
Snarky Snark
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF300
I tend to prefer ereading on a tablet. Means one less device to lug around.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; BBMini; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8
None of the above.

I let circumstances decide what I'll use. Bedtime = tablet, daytime = e-ink.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #24
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Definitely a tablet. Dedicated e-readers are much too helter-skelter about which format they support and how well. With a tablet, as many reader applications as necessary can be loaded, plus a tablet has many other uses as well. Now that most tablets can last somewhere around 8-10 hours between charges, the tablet is the winner for me. I can not imagine reading for that long in one day. I just put the tablet back on the charger every night.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'd go for the ereader, mostly for the eink, but this vid also makes a good argument against reading on tablets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdZAAT8n0kA
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #26
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've found that if a book has me engrossed (on my tablet), I'm just as unlikely to stop reading it to check my email, browse the web, or fire up a game as I would be to put an ereader down, grab the TV/game remote and fire up a show/game. From my reading chair, distractions are always at my fingertips ... regardless of the device I'm reading on.

So I never really bought the distraction argument. Good books keep me engrossed; not so good books don't. *shrugs*

I commented anyway; sue me.
I find I'm more likely to toggle between book and apps when reading on my smartphone, which is essentially a shrunken tablet, than I am to toggle between my e-reader and laptop. YMMV.

For what it's worth, I only use the phone to read in the dark or where other conditions aren't great for the e-reader, so my preference is obvious.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #27
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I would never read a book on a tablet, though I use it for magazines and newspapers. But for books, if my e-ink reader isn't available I would rather use my phone than a tablet. To paraphrase Bill Clinton: "It's the screen, stupid!". And now we even have front-lit screens, vastly improving the reading experience.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; BBMini; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I would never read a book on a tablet, though I use it for magazines and newspapers. But for books, if my e-ink reader isn't available I would rather use my phone than a tablet. To paraphrase Bill Clinton: "It's the screen, stupid!". And now we even have front-lit screens, vastly improving the reading experience.
Well, you try reading on this phone:

I prefer my tablet for reading if I cannot use my e-ink device :P
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #29
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
I put ereader, but actually it's ereader for text novels, tablet for graphic novels and most magazines.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Well, you try reading on this phone:

I prefer my tablet for reading if I cannot use my e-ink device :P
Well, I gave that one away in 2002, when I got my Palm Treo...
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote