Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #16
alicepattinson
Zealot
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But using FBReader for reading the eBook is a poor option as FBReader tends to ignore a lot of the CSS. It's just not worth the hassle.
I agree!
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
According to Amazon, the Kindle Touch doesn't have audio. Maybe the first models did, but they don't anymore. Are you sure you have a K Touch Daffy?

EDIT: I asked the Kindle bods. Seems I'm wrong, sorry. This means that the Kindle Touch looks like a viable option. Not too pricey, either.

On the Amazon site, they've got a blank space in the audio capability. Odd. Obviously a website quirk.

Last edited by BookCat; 06-25-2013 at 12:02 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, KTSO, KFHD7, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
According to Amazon, the Kindle Touch doesn't have audio. Maybe the first models did, but they don't anymore. Are you sure you have a K Touch Daffy?
I am so very sure. I own or have owned all the e-ink Kindles except the current Kindle Non-Touch. See below.

BTW, who are the Kindle bods?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle 1 of 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	107338   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle 2 of 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	107339  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
Oh, OK....i had heard much worse horror stories about having to email the book to a special kindle email and waiting for their system to convert and download or deny the conversion etc.
The email conversion feature is primarily for personal documents. There is nothing difficult about putting books on a Kindle.
Quote:
Does anyone know if kindle text to speech is only for some books or for any book?
TTS can be disabled on individual titles at the publisher's request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Yes, only the Kindle Keyboard has text-to-speech now. Authors claimed that Amazon's TTS violated their copyright
No, and 'authors' did not make that claim, the 'Author's Guild' did, which is a very different thing. And that was back in 2009 or so, and in response, Amazon added the feature to allow publishers to disable TTS.

Quote:
thanks...i never really considered a kindle cause i heard it was very difficult to transfer books to if they were not from amazon...i know Calibre rocks, but wasn't sure how well it got around that issue.
Where do you expect the senior in question to be getting books from?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Quote:
Oh, OK....i had heard much worse horror stories about having to email the book to a special kindle email and waiting for their system to convert and download or deny the conversion etc.

we may have to take a look at that.

Does anyone know if kindle text to speech is only for some books or for any book?

ty
Emailing the book is only if you want to store it in the Amazon cloud and see it under archived items, and to synchronize bookmarks and notes across multiple devices. However, Manually putting the book on your Kindle drive through the computer works just fine too, but you won't have it on your other devices as well -- unless you put it on via USB. It is a nice special feature but you can read without it.

In this case, it shouldn't be necessary.

Text-to speech is available for any Kindle that has audio capability. This includes the Kindle Touch, Keyboard, DX, and Kindle 1st and 2nd Generation. The Paperwhite and Kindle 4th and 5th Generation do NOT have audio capability.

I was going to say there is a Kindle 1st Generation being sold in good condition on Amazon for only $40 -- which I think is the cheapest you are likely to get a kindle -- but just realized, the 1st gen Kindle has audioBOOKS, and thus an audio jack but no text-to-speech (one would think all that requires is a software update, but no, Amazon *can't* fix that)

The Kindle 2nd generation does have text-to-speech though, and on ebay is $45. Or try this Kindle Touch for $50.

The Touch is vastly better of course, and only $5 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

EDIT: I asked the Kindle bods. Seems I'm wrong, sorry. This means that the Kindle Touch looks like a viable option. Not too pricey, either.

On the Amazon site, they've got a blank space in the audio capability. Odd. Obviously a website quirk.
On the Amazon Kindle product page:

Audio: 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, rear mounted speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
TTS can be disabled on individual titles at the publisher's request.
Only the ones bought from Amazon, not the sideloaded books, and anyway, Apprentice Alf has a plugin for that...

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-26-2013 at 11:51 AM.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Where do you expect the senior in question to be getting books from?
They will be coming from my personal library or the actual library....

Thanks to all who have responded so far. I will have to give the Kindle's a second look. I may even have someone I work with who may be trying to get rid of one. It was too much for her mother, but I don't think my Grandmother will get into the hard core tablet like stuff. If I can get my mother going I think I can get her going too.
gabby98 is online now   Reply With Quote