Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
MarkM160
MarkM160 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Where to buy ebooks?

For years I used to buy my ebooks at fictionwise. They allowed you to select the format you wanted to download your files in so you could fit it to what you were using to read them. Since B&N bought them out I am at a loss for where to buy ebooks in a non-proprietary format. Currently I primarily use an iPad and iPhone to read my ebooks so I have tended to favor ePub formats to use in iBooks. Based on my past experience (started on a palm device and then android before this) I don't expect I will always use an Apple device. I have Kindle, Nook, and Kobo apps installed because I've purchased some books from other places but it is annoying to try to keep up with what book is in what app.

What I would really like to find is a website selling books in multiple formats like Fictionwise used to. Can anyone recommend one or am I just out of luck?
MarkM160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle GDX, Kindle 3, KPW, Nook HD+
Smashwords sells in multiple formats.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony T1, Sony 350, Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD & HD+
Baen Books provides multiple formats for purchased books.

You should also install the free program called Calibre. It allows you to convert books into your preferred format. Also check out "Apprentice Alf" on Google for the information needed to remove the DRM from the books you've purchased.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
setiani
setiani began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I also have the same problem like MarkM160. Currently I try to buy books from smashwords, I hope they as good as fictionwise.
setiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
I discovered Fictionwise right after I got my ereader and was a big fan. In all honesty, I haven't found a replacement that measures up to Fictionwise.

I like Smashwords, but there is a huge range of quality there, from very good to really lousy. An awful lot seems to be just tossed out to see if anyone will take it. On the other hand, there are several authors who have become disenchanted with big publishing houses and decided to go it on their own.

Another reason that I'm very big on writing reviews when I find stories over there that I like.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I agree strongly with Xanthe's suggestion. Become a friend of Alf to remove the DRM. Calibre will both convert books to your prefered format and aid Alf. (You'll find out how when you become Alf's friend.)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
If I do buy (which is almost never) I typically find myself buying from B&N. Their DRM is extremely simple to remove, and it's never on a book I buy for more than a few seconds after downloading.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote