Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 , Kindle for PC
calibre + win 7 auto-sleep

am trying to solve one of those frustrating windows issues where something that has worked fine suddenly goes on the blink

in this case it is my "sleep after being idle for 10 minutes setting" that no longer wants to play.

tried the obvious - a shut down & reboot but no joy.

I would like to eliminate calibre from my enquiries so am seeking confirmation that having main calibre window open, or minimised to system tray, should not cause pc to say awake ( I know that calibre continually polls for USB devices but I think I had it left open before when auto-sleep was working- that activity level should be below the idle threshold used when calculating if it's windows bedtime yet)

I am 90+% confident that it's not a calibre issue but independent confirmation would be re-assuring
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
A trick I found helped to track down no sleep issues was the (poorly documented) Windows powercfg command.

From an admin level command prompt (ie right click on the command prompt icon and select "run as administrator") execute the command
Code:
powercfg -requests
This will show what outstanding activities are preventing sleep mode. In my case, it was an audio driver, and I then had to issue a
Code:
powercfg -requestsoverride
with the correct combination of parameters to override that particular driver.

See this thread for some discussions on this.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks - but I'd tried that already: powercfg -requests comes back all OK.
Usually I debug by: set PC to sleep after 1 minute , if that works then I gradually extend the time & watch for problems + watch with task manager.
but even 1 minute won't play at present. It can be something quite obscure sometimes like a java update checker btu what's annoying is that i've not changed or installed anything since it was all OK & by normal "a reboot fixes all issues" mantra is also failing.

anyway do you confirm that calibre does not interfere with sleep ?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Correct. calibre does not interfere with my PC's sleeping. Mind you it does prevent ME sleeping at times.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

UPDATE _ SUCCESS

I finally diagnosed this after about 3 days of intermittent OCD on the topic.

turns out it was my TEAC A-H01S amplifier which is using a USB connection to PC, and when that is on, it must be continually polling . so the windows internal value "time since last user input" never escapes from zero

i got to that only because google found a MCE standby utility ( freeware ) program - previously I'd not heard of that "time since..." counter, but the utility displays it. so I was able turn things off until the counter becan incrementing.

Phew...
the utility is here, in case anyone else stumbles across this thread:

http://slicksolutions.eu/

I'd been racking my brains for what the cause could be - I'd changed a graphics card & spent ages suspecting that, and I'd uninstalled a lot of stuff prior to making a disc image security backup, but an audio amplifier never made it onto the "persons of interest list.
previously I@d been leaving the amp mostly off, as it has an annoyingly bring poerlight, but then I decide to just cover the light & leave it always on- as it's standby power consumption is minimal, and because hte USB connection gets screwed up if you forget to turn the amp on until midway through audio playback. It has to be turn on when there is no active audio source. great sound though & It totally filters out the background noise from EMF / scrolling within browsers/mouse movements that I could never previously totally eliminate. I can crank this up to 100% & its totally silent whereas with a sound card or an onboard audio, my PC would sound like a HAM radio-fest if pumped thru full-on100w hi-fi amp.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Cybmole,
Glad you discovered the culprit! I applaud your posting the problem, and how you fixed it, in case someone else needs it.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

my next project is to solve the elusive & intermittent "internet explorer has stopped working" bug. Although I mostly use chrome, I do switch to the IE + Roboform combo for easy access to password protected sites.
so far I've tried: disabling all sort of add-ons, upgraded IE9 to IE10, upgraded roboform v6 to v7 ( & turned off auto-fill), removed last pass, removed ( but now re-enabled) super add blocker, read the equivalent of war & peace on the topic via google...
it is still bugged, but turning off roboform auto fill did stop some repeatable ones e.g. logging into my amazon sellers page.
PS google + last pass is not a bad combo for passwords but I prefer the roboform interface .