Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #31
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I just bought a paper book for the first time in quite awhile because I was researching a topic and couldn't find an appropriate eBook. It wasn't too thick but it was quite large: 10 x 8 inches. I should have taken the dust jacket off, it gave me a paper cut on the web of my hand. Ouch! It still hurts.

You forget how to handle those things.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #32
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Touch
I've been borrowing some library pbooks on programming subjects a fair bit lately, as they've been updating that section recently.

As I have a Kobo Glo, it's a bit irritating when it's too dark to read and I reach up to the top right hand corner of the book and can't find a light button!!
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #33
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by book_goddess View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I went to a friend's house for a cuppa and saw that she had Bryce Courtenay's Jack Of Diamonds in hardcover on her bookshelf - it was a mammoth of a thing! I had read it myself on my ereader, so it surprised me to find out exactly how big it was.
Yes, I know what you mean. I just finished reading Jack of Diamonds in paperback, all 711 pages of it! A very enjoyable read but I would have preferred an ebook version. Bryce was one of the world's great storytellers and I've read most of his works, some twice (Power of One) We're going to miss him. RIP Bryce.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #34
Geralt
Fanatic
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet, Kindle PW2
I still like real books and I still buy them. I dont have a problem with remembering the page, because I always finish on a chapter and remember the chapter number. That's easy enough for me.
For example I plan to slowly buy/collect Gollancz SF masterworks and Fantasy masterworks collection when I finish my study. That is smth I would like to have in paperback, no matter the fact I read on kindle so much.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #35
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I haven't picked a paperback up since getting my kobo. I do still have a few on my shelf to read so maybe I'll give one a try to see how it goes.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #36
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Nexus 7 (2013). Wife Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've converted one 1200 page book into an e-book, and I even didn't have to do the OCR. I used an... uh... found version, that had very good OCR, but very bad layout. Fixing this book, even without having to do the OCR, took so much time that I'm never going to do this again.
I've done that too.

I've actually been meaning to finish up my ebook copy of Phylis Eisenstein's "In the Red Lord's Reach" but I need to scan a couple of pictures from the book and put them into the epub. Haven't gotten around to it.

I still like hardcovers for my most favorite authors.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #37
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Yes, the only downside of e-readers, can't be used for emergency toilet paper when you are in dire need while camping in the middle of nowhere.
We had a phrase when we stocked away something that was pretty useless normally.

"For that day!"
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #38
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
I just picked up a hardcover book to read and couldn't figure out why the page wouldn't turn when I tapped it with my thumb.
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote