Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Refurb Kindle?

Has anyone bought a certified refurbished kindle? My Touch broke and after troubleshooting with amazon they offered me a regular certified refurb kindle for 48.00 -with 1 yr warranty - (I don't want to get another touch). I'm torn, should I get the refurb or just spend the extra 20 and get a new one?

Any advice?
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, HD, Glo, Mini
Refurbs from Amazon are great! You can't go wrong, especially with the 1 year warranty. Amazon will back that warranty!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
I would go for another Touch. The regular Kindle is a pain to use the keyboard. It's a pain to make collections. It's a pain reading eBooks in KF8 (AZW3). It's limiting on the font choices.

The Touch has the USE_ALT_FONT Easter egg that you can use to load in some fonts of your choice. There are some fonts out there (Such as my modified Charis SIL) that work very well with KF8 and don't give you that large gap between lines.

Overall, the Touch is just better for reading since you have more choices of how to set it so it suits you. The regular Kindle cannot do that and you are stuck with Amazon's way of doing it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
montalex
Addict
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I've had 2 refurbished Kindles. They are like new. Better, as they have been tested. Don't hesitate to buy a refurbished Kindle. The battery will be new.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
1 year warranty, can be exchanged if not right, new battery, no brainer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote